Notices

my b16a w/ custom turbo, not running right, bogging, hesistating

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my b16a w/ custom turbo, not running right, bogging, hesistating

ok heres my setup, t3/t4 garrett turbo, turbonetics wastegate, FMIC, greddy BOV, stock injectors, vortech FMU, b&m FPR, walbro 255lph intank fuel pump, stock distributor, denso iradium plugs, 2.25 exhaust piping, w/ stock 00SI muffler. stock p72 ecu(throwing code23 no knock sensor) . im boosting about 6 psi. now i notice from idle, it takes off fine in first til i hit 5k and it starts to bog(lag) i hear the turbo spooling but i dont really feel it. sometimes the car hesitates, what could be my prolem?

do i need new plugs?
should i get MSD?
am i running too rich? lean?

turbo people, help me out here
Old 04-25-2003, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my b16a w/ custom turbo, not running right, bogging, hesistating (zzZZzzleeperCX)

have you messed with the spark plug gap?? it should be somewhere around .030 give or take, that should get rid of the hesitation, or popping it's prolly making, if that doesn't maybe your injectors are bad, i just changed out a bad set of stock injectors on my setup and it fixed the prob
Old 04-26-2003, 07:47 AM

yo get some new injectors they'll help
Old 04-26-2003, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my b16a w/ custom turbo, not running right, bogging, hesistating (TwistedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TwistedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you messed with the spark plug gap?? it should be somewhere around .030 give or take, that should get rid of the hesitation, or popping it's prolly making, if that doesn't maybe your injectors are bad, i just changed out a bad set of stock injectors on my setup and it fixed the prob</TD></TR></TABLE>

i havent messed with my plugs yet, i will gap them today at .30, i just have stock si injectors, which injectors should i get and what size?

ttt
Old 04-26-2003, 06:25 PM
I live under a rock

Default Re: my b16a w/ custom turbo, not running right, bogging, hesistating (zzZZzzleeperCX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zzZZzzleeperCX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i havent messed with my plugs yet, i will gap them today at .30, i just have stock si injectors, which injectors should i get and what size?

ttt</TD></TR></TABLE>

You aren't using a AFC or anyother type of map/fuel modifier?? Don't go any bigger than 440's as far as injectors go... i would get a safc or a hondata to better tune your motor.... you need something to make your ecu add more fuel.... which is why its falling off at the top end, you have the FMU to get it there, but the injectors aren't gonna pulse anymore without something telling them to do so.....thats where at least a afc could help out
Old 04-27-2003, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my b16a w/ custom turbo, not running right, bogging, hesistating (spoolinlude)

its the p72 computer. my b16a did the same thing but it was at the vtec switchover at 4500. have you tried a p30 or a p61 it will feel 10 times smoother.
Old 04-27-2003, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my b16a w/ custom turbo, not running right, bogging, hesistating (g2turbo)

you can run it with the gsr computer.......that shouldn't be the problem, with the b16 computer though it should work better......but the stock injectors with the fmu should work fine.........my car runs a tad lean i think with stock injectors and an fmu but thats at 8psi, i would like to figure out how to richen it up a pinch to be on the safe side
Old 04-27-2003, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my b16a w/ custom turbo, not running right, bogging, hesistating (TwistedHatch)

yeah i have a gsr ecu w/ my b16a and its throwing cel 23(knock), i will soon get a knock to fix that CEL. i will also be chipping the ECU.

ok i gap all the plugs to .30 and the car ran so much better, the car pulls hard in all the gears. i do feel that turbo lag, but when the turbo starts spooling and when i hit 4k rpm the car just turns into a beast. im currently running 2.25" piping w/ stock 00si muffler, cant wait to get 3" piping and es oval muffler.

one thing i notice is that when i deccelerate, smoke comes out of the exhaust, am i buring too much fuel?