Notices

MSD Ignition Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD Ignition Install

Ok, I have everything hooked up on my MSD 6A except the red and white wire that go into the distributor, the white wire is supposed to go to the - on the internal coil. I went to MSD's website and looked up their schematic on the honda coil, the diagram they showed does not resemble my distributor. The schematic was for using the stock coil which I allready know the 2 wires go to the external coil so there is no problem there. It asks me to connect the red and white wire to the + & - in the distributor, but my car's dizzy does not look the same...... does anybody know what color wires I hook these wires up to, I could just start hooking it up to random wires and trying that but I am afraid of frying the box. The red one is a switched 12V which instead of hooking up in the dizzy, I just ran it off the switched 12V connector at my fuse box under the dash, leaving just the white wire. Anybody have a picture of a dizzy with the cap off or anybody know where I should connect this wire? Thanks
Old 05-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MSD Ignition Install (96 GSR-T)

The red goes to the + wire that went to the stock coil and the white to the - wire.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MSD Ignition Install (Dragline)

Thanks, I had to go out and wire brush the wires because I thought they were a different color than they were and I found the +/- once all the dirt came off. My stock rotor was in pieces that fell out when the cap was pulled off
Old 05-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do I have to run the red to the wire that runs to the stock coil or can I leave it where it is at under the switched 12v under the dash?
Old 05-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok got everything hooked up and just as I suspected, no spark. I can smell fuel like crazy but when I pulled the wires off the cap there is no spark. I used a testlight and both the red and white wires running from my MSD box to the distributor have power.

I have a couple questions hopefully someone can help me with

1. When I removed the stock coil, there is the white/blue wire and the black/yellow. The black/yellow had 2 wires associated with it, one that connected to the prong in the distributor and one that runs out of the distributor somewhere, was I supposed to hook up both wires to the wire out of my MSD or was I supposed to just hook up one? The directions suck ***.

2. I used the testlight on the Blaster SS Coil and it never lit up at all, even when cranking the engine. Can it be assumed that I have a dud coil and that is my problem?

3. The directions specifically said hook up the MSD ground to the battery, problem is I relocated my battery to the trunk, I have a good ground but could this be the problem?

Thanks guys, I am a douche bag when it comes to electrical ****
Old 05-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you have to fully remove the coil and hook up both wires that went to the + side of the coil to the red wire. the white wire goes the wire that went to the - side of the coil
Old 05-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MSD Ignition Install (92cxturbo)

I allready did that, guess I have a dud coil

It did not have power to it with the test light
Old 05-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92cxturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you have to fully remove the coil and hook up both wires that went to the + side of the coil to the red wire. the white wire goes the wire that went to the - side of the coil</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wait...... I was supposed to run the orange and black wires out of the MSD to the blaster coil right, or was I supposed to run the white/blue and the black/yellow to the Blaster coil?.....
Old 05-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump i am an idiot and have no car
Old 05-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96 GSR-T)

i just went through this on my buddies car. I had no issues hooking up mine, but another friend went at my buddies first, and didn't put the wires back on the distributor right. No spark was the symptom. Follow the MSD diagnostic techniques, i can pretty much promise you its your wiring. If you haven't figured this out by tommorow afternoon, i can get you pictures.

If memory serves, its white and red to the distributor, and orange and black to the blaster coil. I also run my power and ground directly off the battery.

Using the diagnostic procedure will allow you to make sure your trigger wire is hooked up right, if its still under your dash i think thats your issue. Otherwise, double check all the little wires are where they should be in your distributor.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look, you hook the red to the blk/yel(both of them) and the white to the blu/wht wire that went to the factory coil...The orange wire is the + on your aftermarket coil and the black is -, and to test the coil make sure you have 12volts to the + side and run A wire from the negative side and touch it to ground and every time you touch it to ground it should create A spark out of your coil wire and if it doesn't it is bad and if it does and the car still doesn't start then test to make sure you have 12v at the blk/yel wires at the dist. (with the key in the on position) and also check for 12v at your + battery wire for the box and make sure you have a good ground on the - side..and if all that checks out ok then the box is bad or you fried it.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am starting to think the box is bad because the power/ground is fine, the wires are correct in the distributor. when i put a testlight to the + side of the msd coil i got nothing. I put the test light to the red and white coming out the distributor and both of them lit up so i guess i got a shitty box
Old 05-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya I've had a few MSD box's bad right out of the box, so that is probaly what it is. Doesn't the box have light on it?
Old 05-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You might need to make an account but it will help.
http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=265
Old 05-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no light, its jsut a base model 6a, i fugure why buy the better versions when my ecu does most of the ****.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you could always run the wires from the dizzy to the coil. that 6a box will probally do more harm then good anyway.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Explain please....