Notices

MR2 guy needs help, asking for Honda pros!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MR2 guy needs help, asking for Honda pros!

Hey guys I'm new here and I've posted my problem on mr2 forums already and they weren't able to help too much since none of them really had my problem so I thought I could post here since it seems like it also is a knowledgable forum.
I have a 1991 mr2 turbo USDM. The car has a very weird problem that no one can figure out and I've taken it too ALOT of mechanics but still no real solution. Basically what happens is when the cars cold and I press the clutch, the rpms decrease by 200 but when cars fully warmed up the car stalls out with clutch pressed. The car seems to drive fine other then this and this only happens when I press the clutch in neutral. No weird knocking or ticking noises. One of my mechanics checked the obd codes, and said I have a code 24 ( bad intake air temperature sensor/ AFM), could this be the problem or do I have crankwalk?
So far I've done the following:

-Replaced clutch and flywheel
-cleaned iacv and throttle body
-checked crank pulley for visible movement and there was none, also had a mechanic look at it with a prybar and he said no movement what so ever
-Tried several idle reset procedures

Any help is greatly appreciated...I'm about to throw in the towel and sell my beloved car, right now it's in storage due to winter lol.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MR2 guy needs help, asking for Honda pros!

I'd be leaning more towards worn out thrust washers ("crankwalk" as you mentioned)
Old 11-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by viper_boy403
I'd be leaning more towards worn out thrust washers ("crankwalk" as you mentioned)
Ya that's what I was thinking was the most likely choice, however I find it weird how there wasnt any noticeable movement within the pulley. Does that mean I could probably get away with just replacing the thrust washers opposed to replacing the block?
Old 11-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an Owner of a Gen 2 MR2, i would highly recommend fixing all known existing issues- if you are setting a code for the AFM, why dont you replace it? driveability and engine performace are directly related to AFM and how well its working, and plus, they are known for having issues and its 20 yrs old...
Old 11-27-2013, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, if your crankwalk was serious enough to stall the car, i guarantee you would be able to see the movement with a prybar or someone pushing the clutch while ur watching the balancer...
Old 11-27-2013, 09:45 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by ricetastic
Also, if your crankwalk was serious enough to stall the car, i guarantee you would be able to see the movement with a prybar or someone pushing the clutch while ur watching the balancer...
Hey thanks for the reply! Ya I've been trying to find a proper AFM for awhile however I don't want to dump much more money in the car until I know the exact problem. The car runs very good when it's driving and if it's in gear and I push the clutch, it disengages perfect and no rpm drop what so ever, even when it's warm. It's just when sitting in neutral and it's fully up to operating temperature that when I press in the clutch from there, the rpm bogs down and the car wants to die. Could the AFM actually affect just this one thing but work perfect otherwise? And ya there wasnt any movement at all with clutch depressed and no noises either.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Crankwalk or clutch is depressing to far ?
Old 11-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Crankwalk or clutch is depressing to far ?
Clutch travel and everything else is ok and I also replaced the entire clutch with a exedy oem kit and bought a fidanza flywheel. It still didn't solve the problem.