Notices

Mounts without the vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mounts without the vibrations

I had prothane inserts on my boosted dc2, but it was a vibrations machine. I removed them and ran stock again, but i have now worn the stockers out and the engine has too much play. i have a stage 4 clutch that hated those prothane mounts and would chatter with them, but was minimal with the stock ones. i want an aftermarket mount with the least vibrations. ive been looking into hardrace mounts, the 5 piece harder rubber set. anyone have any experience with them? what is the least vibration causing poly mount available?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mounts without the vibrations

If u want I guess u could drill holes in it until u find the vibration u like. I don't know y u would want to waste money like that, but I guess its ur money
Old 01-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

innovative mounts 60a i saw in, wasnt bad at all. now my 75a that takes gettin use 2
Old 01-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The nature of a solid mount is going to give you vibration. The trade off is going to be way less wheel hop and better traction. You will get used to it and the good far out weighs the bad
Old 01-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got the 75as and i got use to it after about a week, vibration isnt that bad, tradeoffs have to be made
Old 01-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94VTEC2TONE
i got the 75as and i got use to it after about a week, vibration isnt that bad, tradeoffs HAVE to be made
It's the price we pay

Still got the prothane's? I was looking to pick some up. pm me if i can take em off your hands.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Energ...ht_5297wt_1165

how about these?
Old 02-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Stiffer motor mounts = more vibration. Thats just how it works. Get used to it or find another hobby
Old 02-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My car has no vibrations, similar to OEM.

I have all 5 mounts on the car still, and filled all of them with 40A urethane with a 1/4" hole (air gap), and an engine torque damper (Ingalls Stiffy). It worked well for my power level and no wheel hop. I also have a front facing turbo setup, and engine movement has to be kept to a minimum all the time, and no issues at all so far.

By having all five mounts that are soft/moderately stiff, it won't increase vibration. I know so many guys just run the three aftermarket mounts, either 60A or stiffer, and the car shakes like it is going to fall apart and the engine still moves quite a bit under load.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger

I have all 5 mounts on the car still, and filled all of them with 40A urethane with a 1/4" hole (air gap), and an engine torque damper (Ingalls Stiffy). It worked well for my power level and no wheel hop. I also have a front facing turbo setup, and engine movement has to be kept to a minimum all the time, and no issues at all so far.

By having all five mounts that are soft/moderately stiff, it won't increase vibration. I know so many guys just run the three aftermarket mounts, either 60A or stiffer, and the car shakes like it is going to fall apart and the engine still moves quite a bit under load.
Where do you buy your Urethane in the GTA ?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tony you are the man!

Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger

Old 02-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boosted_01 R
Where do you buy your Urethane in the GTA ?
I ordered mine online from Mcmaster-carr... Any local shops that sell molding equipment and supplies will have it. It is a urethane solution meant for casting and prototyping, and comes in various hardness and grades.

The concept is no different than newer luxury cars with big power and torque. It's very common to see cars like BMW's, Mercedes, Lexus, etc.. have over five, six or seven engine mounts. Each stock rubber mount technically has a torque rating based on the amount of force it can absorb, but you can only go so stiff before it transfers vibration into the cabin. The more mounts you have, each mount is working less.

I can see this idea be expanded even further if someone was to fabricate one or two more brackets on the chassis to accept more mounts onto a Honda engine. It can easily be a 700+ setup that will feel like 100% stock, and an engine that barely moves under hard launches or big power pulls. That's only if streetability is still a big concern at that power level...lol

For comparison, my engine moves a bit less than an Innovate 85A (grey) mount setup (only the 3 mounts) on a similar power Honda.