Notices

motors starting to smoke....need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motors starting to smoke....need ideas

Its blue smoke so its obviously oil. The turbo has been on the car for the past couple months now(about 500 miles) and is running very well. Motor is a rebuilt ZC with only 2000 miles on it and i switched to Mobil1 when i did the turbo. The car smokes when i first start it up until it warms up some, it smokes when the boost is flowing, and it'll smoke when i just rev the motor. The smoke during boost could be black smoke sicne its hard to tell when you're moving quick. Fuel is on the rich side, no pinging, boost is only at about 6psi so far, and the pistons are arias with whatever rings they supplied. I did a compression check yesterday and its about the same as when i first built the motor. Anyone have any ideas, I'll be doing a leak down test next week but i'm hoping someone has some magic insight. I'm hoping its just the valve seals but probally not. Another theory i have is a big one. The motor took at least 1000 miles for the rings to seat themselves so perhaps they were just barely seated and the mobil1 somehow managed to unseat them, yeah i know, thats a huge straw i'm grasping at. I've also eliminated the pcv system since i completly unhooked it yesterday. The turbo seals are fine, I checed the IC pipes and they are clean.
Old 08-08-2001, 11:33 AM
New User

Default Re: motors starting to smoke....need ideas (QuickHonda)

Try leaning out your fuel just a tad if it is running really rich.
Old 08-08-2001, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the seal on the exhaust side of the turbo goes bad then you wouldnt see oil in the IC piping it would leak right into the exhaust housing and burn away immediately. This is the seal that tends to go bad first. It's probably your turbo.
Old 08-08-2001, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: motors starting to smoke....need ideas (TurboInteg95)

I wouldnt be breaking in your car with Synthetic oil....that is not too smart.

hmmm
Old 08-09-2001, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motors starting to smoke....need ideas (Blown90hatcH)

I didn't break it in with synthetic, I ran cheapo store brand dino oil for the first 1500 miles which should be plenty long enough for everything to break in properly. My leakdown test is monday so i'll know s little more then. I'll also check the exhaust side of the turbo for any oil residue, I don't know how i totally neglected to consider that side.
Old 08-09-2001, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Unfortunately it's one of those things that's hard to see. There might not even be much residue because it's so hot that it just burns right off without leaving a residue. My turbo has a bad exhaust seal on it and there is this constant smell of burning oil eminating from the turbine side of the turbo. I havent bothered to look at it to hard since it's not that bad yet
Old 08-09-2001, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motors starting to smoke....need ideas (TurboInteg95)

Yeah dont panic yet. My turbo exhaust side seal went bad not too long ago. Stupid turbonetics turbo. The only turbonetics one I had left.