Notices

motorola map sensor mounting

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motorola map sensor mounting **updated ? below**

I plan on using the 2.5 bar map sensor. I am not worried about the wiring I was interested in how you guys were mounting the sensor.

I plan on leaving the stock map sensor in place and pull my pressure readings from a vacuum block.

what is the best way to secure this little guy?

Modified by turbo sol at 10:36 AM 9/29/2008
Old 09-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: motorola map sensor mounting (turbo sol)

Some people actually mount them inside the cabin, since they are relatively fragile. The small one can actually be put inside a stock MAP case, but its a bunch of work. Xenocron has DIY housings, and Omni has drop-in 4bar replacements for the stock sensor location.

Other people put it on the firewall by the gas filter, and use a ported blcok-off plate for the stock sensor spot.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motorola map sensor mounting (HiProfile)

does mounting it in the cabin effect the pressure reading? (the line would be much longer.)
Old 09-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is the issue that people have with the sensors durability the sensor itself or the case of the sensor?

would doing the DIY case mod
http://www.xenocron.com/catalo....html

be more reliable?

and if I use a 3 or 4 bar sensor but don't boost more than 12-18 pounds will that negatively affect my fuel table? (does it in a sense compress it?) Should i stick with the 2.5 since it is closer to my intended boost levels?

2.5 bar = 36.25 pounds (which I will never see on my d16)

any advice on the best sensor for my tuning will be great. (450cc / 14psi max for now)
Old 09-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbo sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is the issue that people have with the sensors durability the sensor itself or the case of the sensor?

would doing the DIY case mod
http://www.xenocron.com/catalo....html

be more reliable?

and if I use a 3 or 4 bar sensor but don't boost more than 12-18 pounds will that negatively affect my fuel table? (does it in a sense compress it?) Should i stick with the 2.5 since it is closer to my intended boost levels?

2.5 bar = 36.25 pounds (which I will never see on my d16)

any advice on the best sensor for my tuning will be great. (450cc / 14psi max for now)</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually the 2.5 bar is only good for about 22 pounds and the 3 bar is good for about 29 pounds, 1 bar is for vacuum and they are absolute sensors. neither will have any adverse affects on tuning or "fuel table" same with the 4 bar. thinking logically it would be better and easier to get the OEM style map sensor vs having to wire mount and rig stuff up.

the sensor you have probably wont fit in the factory case. with turn key options like hondata 4 bar and omnipower 3 and 4 bar its a much easier and cleaner install.

Hondata 4 bar costs like 130 bucks

the diy kit aside from its cost requires a solder iron, solder, wire, glue, and 1-2 hours of your time. if you have to purchase all those items on top of the price of the DIY kit your trying to build it would probably cost you more than 130 bucks or damn near. now if you have all those items already and have done a diy map sensor before then yes you can save a few dollars but thats obviously not the case here. your stepping over a dollar to pick up a quarter.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbo sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is the issue that people have with the sensors durability the sensor itself or the case of the sensor?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Durability of the motorola ported case; the drop-ins are being sealed and riveted shut, better than stock. The sensor element is solid-state, and is very robust - especially for the price they make them for.

The ecu is designed well enough to still be accurate with a 4 bar sensor. If you want to run 18psi, you simply make the last column the 4 bar column (58psi), the 2nd to last the 2.34 bar column (34psi) then down from there. 34psi absolute = 19.5psi boost.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:32 PM

The one on the right is meant to be used with the reccomended filtering circuit (go to digikey, type in the part number, get the .pdf data sheet)... so I mount the sensor in a very small project box along with the resistor and cap, epoxy it with bedding compound, and epoxy a small hose to the sensor to another 'connector' on the box so that it is a more conveneint hose size.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motorola map sensor mounting **updated ? below** (turbo sol)

check this one out, there was a guy on ht selling this exact on, but now its on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors....m245