Notices

Motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor mounts

Ok guys....Maybe this should be in suspention? But it is directly related to FI as I am wondering about motor mounts because I will be making 350-400whp.

I have always just used B swap mounts in the past as every car I have built so far has been a B swap.

This time I am boosting the stock D16y8, so swap mounts not needed.
Right now the car has tired stock mounts, and I know this will give me problems at 350+ whp. I am also running a solid disk six puck clutch.

I am considering 2 options for energy suspention poly inserts.

These:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Civic-...f35405&vxp=mtr

Or these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Energy-Suspe...4847be&vxp=mtr

Opinions or suggestions?
Old 04-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor mounts

Get all Five inserts and you will be just fine. For that power level and vibration will be minimal
Old 04-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Inserts are cheap, simple and they work period. You can also use Hasport or Innovative motor mounts. B and D use the same mounts so just get some for a 96-00 Civic. You said a D16Y8 so I assume its in a EK/EJ.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wondering on the style of inserts.....

The first one is a complete new insert, so I would have to push the old insert completely out and push the new one in, seems like the best choice, but is this gonna be a bitch to do?

second one is just the split inserts that you shove into each side of the stock insert, seems like these will be easier, but are they as good as the full insert?
Old 04-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Both inserts you linked are two pieces per mount. In the first link, they are just placed close together to make them look like a single piece. Look at the second picture in the listing, they are staggered so you can tell it's actually 2 pieces.

I have these inserts in my car (D16Y8), you can definitely feel a vibration increase. But wheel hop is down significantly, and shifts are more solid. I'd recommend them if you don't have the money for full replacement mounts. And the vibration isn't so bad that it bothers me, even though it's my daily driver.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started with inserts but took a crap on me, i now have hardrace monts and they work well. But limited, i might just swap them for hasports or innovative.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i bought the solid mounts and i cant stand the vibrations, i just ordered all 5 from energy suspension and they just came in today actually, im gonna go with the street insert and i will report back. i prolly wont get them in until next weekend i have a bunch of other stuff to fix tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How about these guys...?

HARDRACE motor mounts (Hard Rubber)
http://www.buyhardrace.com/product/h...ivic-ek_4.html
Old 04-27-2012, 07:27 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by XxRoCkMaNxNEOxX
How about these guys...?

HARDRACE motor mounts (Hard Rubber)
http://www.buyhardrace.com/product/h...ivic-ek_4.html
When we discussed this, it was a personal preference. I used these because of the fact that I don't drag race, and don't want vibrations in my engine bay, as well as the fact that the Mugen Hardened rubber has gotten more expensive and unavailable for mounts.. You know me by now, I rarely get the H-T bandwagon list of parts because of particular needs, ya know?
Old 04-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
When we discussed this, it was a personal preference. I used these because of the fact that I don't drag race, and don't want vibrations in my engine bay, as well as the fact that the Mugen Hardened rubber has gotten more expensive and unavailable for mounts.. You know me by now, I rarely get the H-T bandwagon list of parts because of particular needs, ya know?
I know what you mean but its a great recommendation
Old 04-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For a turbo daily on stock internals, as is my goal, Hardrace seems like the ideal solution.

Unfortunately, the inserts were what the budget could fit.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies gents!

I think I will just do all 5 mounts with energy sus. poly inserts.

I know with my solid 6 puck I'm gonna get some chatter, and I think stock mounts will be a horrible idea with that clutch.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:25 AM

You will transfer ALL that energy into the cabin, and with that 6 puck, prepare to go to the dentist from your teeth rattling...

That will be interesting, indeed for you.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Retired Moderator

Mac, I have the hardrace mounts.. i still have a little rocking going on..

Im thinking of changing the driver mount only.. but the street or track hardness is what im wondering about.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You will transfer ALL that energy into the cabin, and with that 6 puck, prepare to go to the dentist from your teeth rattling...

That will be interesting, indeed for you.
Wait mac............
so your saying with my clutch and the ener. sus. poly inxserts its going to be horrible?

What is a better alternative then? The other insert style?

I know with the stock mounts I have now ( tired with 120k miles on them) I am going to have wheel hop and major movement of the motor/tranny, so I dont want that.

This is going to be a street car mostly, so I def. want a level of comfort, but dont want crazy wheel hop and the motor bouncing off the motor bay walls....what is my best solution here?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by boosted_D
Wait mac............
so your saying with my clutch and the ener. sus. poly inxserts its going to be horrible?

What is a better alternative then? The other insert style?

I know with the stock mounts I have now ( tired with 120k miles on them) I am going to have wheel hop and major movement of the motor/tranny, so I dont want that.

This is going to be a street car mostly, so I def. want a level of comfort, but dont want crazy wheel hop and the motor bouncing off the motor bay walls....what is my best solution here?
@EsotericImage: There's always going to be a tiny bit of rockin' happening in your case. But that's why I liked the hardrace; they were still better than the energy suspension inserts and mounts that are out there. It's almost like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. But at least its minimal compared to other combinations, I'm sure you can attest to that.

@boosted_D: Yeah, unfortunately, with the combination of that clutch and setup, you're going to hate life with it, but the other alternative would be either the hardrace, OR ,use a replacement OEM mount (with less mileage) on the driver's side and keep the poly on the rest. Its just so difficult to get the perfect combination for dual use when the whole intent of poly-mounts is to have more accurate feedback from the car and for it to not experience the stock feel of the car.

Have you looked into the HASport street mounts themselves, or are they a bit out of the budget?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:21 AM
Retired Moderator

It's almost like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. But at least its minimal compared to other combinations, I'm sure you can attest to that.

Yea yea yea, we've all been there
Old 04-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hrrrmmmm.....sucky choices here......What if I just get new OE replacement mounts for both the uppers, then put poly inserts in the front lowers and the rear?

This will cost about $140, yeah, the hasports are out of budget unfortunatly.
I dont want super harshness, but I also dont want the feel of blown out mounts...
Old 04-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

next weekend i will be doing all my inserts on the street ones not the race, i will post back with results compared to my solid ones, mine are tite racing mounts, made by a local guy here in ontario. but i am also still on an exedy stage 1 clutch so i wont be able to help u with that, i am going to try a 6 puck rigid once mine goes though, ive had a few guys swear by them so ill give it a shot.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted_D
hrrrmmmm.....sucky choices here......What if I just get new OE replacement mounts for both the uppers, then put poly inserts in the front lowers and the rear?

This will cost about $140, yeah, the hasports are out of budget unfortunatly.
I dont want super harshness, but I also dont want the feel of blown out mounts...
Sorry, I should have clarified my setup. I started with the original mounts, about 130k on them so they were pretty shot. I was having lots of movement issues when I would blip the throttle to downshift. I replaced the shifter bushings first, which helped a bit but the issue was still there.

I bought all 5 ES mount inserts but only installed the 2 upper mounts, just in case the vibration was too much for my daily. The car feels 10x better, shifts are more solid, faster and easier. But I still get some wheel hop.

I'm debating whether or not to install the other 3 after what Mac said. I already get a little extra vibration, only really noticeable when the car is idling at it's lowest RPM. I get the feeling the other 3 mounts are the ones that really make the difference in wheel hop, but also the biggest culprits for unwanted vibration.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stopped reading when thread links had EBAY in them. i personally wouldnt buy toilet paper from there if they had it.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just install them. The vibration is not bad at all. I had all five in my car and vibration was minimal at best. I switched to inserts on the engine and trans mount and has port race rear torque mount, now that caused vibration. Lol