Notices

motor blew...wtf?!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor blew...wtf?!!

Well after an hour street tuning, my car just shut off. I turn it back on and it idles kinda weird. So i did a compression test and they came out 160, 170, 170, 50. I thought maybe a tooth skipped on the cam gear but timing is all lined up.

I dunno why this happened...i checked my datalogging and i went no more than 12 in a/f. I was in the 11s in all high boost (15psi) My block is benson sleeved with je 9:1 pistons and eagle rods.

But i'm positive i want to get rid of all this turbo stuff, ems, wideband, etc. Gonna sell the car finally. It's just getting harder and harder to work on this car now w/ school and work.

All my parts will be posted soon.

sam.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:00 PM
New User

Default Re: motor blew...wtf?!! (BoostedSi)

Sorry to hear that man... BUT, too much timing can kill a motor just as fast as being lean.

If you plan on selling the motor and parts, let us know, make sure to post a few places so everyone can see, cause there's a few parts all of us could use.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely timing was the cause. Timing has a much more profound effect on detonation than fuel does to a certain extent.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:11 PM

Default Re: motor blew...wtf?!! (boosted hybrid)

intrested in the block -let me know
-pat
Old 03-28-2003, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its your headgasket. If you idle is funny, 9x out of 10 your headgasket blew. I think it would be worth to pull the head and inspect the headgasket.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor blew...wtf?!! (pkripper94)

Man, i thought it was the timing in the back of my mind. I just redid the ignition maps too retard .7psi per pound of boost too. Damn, should've left the map alone(it was retarded a little more)

I will post parts and prices within the next few days on classified: forced induction.

btw, i'm interested in getting a white wrx....gonna go look at them next week
Old 03-28-2003, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its your headgasket. If you idle is funny, 9x out of 10 your headgasket blew. I think it would be worth to pull the head and inspect the headgasket.
would the headgasket make compression go as low as 50 though? I thought a blown headgasket wouldnt effect compression that badly.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you cracked a compression ring, then you wouldnt have to much of an effect on the idle. The idle being weird with a lower cylinder number usually means that the headgasket is toast. Check your coolant, see if their is oil mixed in. Another possibility is that the sleeve is cracked.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you cracked a compression ring, then you wouldnt have to much of an effect on the idle. The idle being weird with a lower cylinder number usually means that the headgasket is toast. Check your coolant, see if their is oil mixed in. Another possibility is that the sleeve is cracked.
If a sleeve was cracked, i'd think that the compression wouldnt even come out 50. I've had a sleeve crack on me before and the car wouldnt even come close to starting. UNless this is like a hairline crack or something.

I'll have to go look at the coolant. I hope it really is just a headgasket...it would make life so much easier
Old 03-28-2003, 04:24 PM
New User

There's a white 90 model CRX Si here in Memphis, TN for sale... it's CLEAN with a few extra's and just over 100k miles for $3200. No real engine mods yet, just a header and some custom <I think> exhaust.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor blew...wtf?!! (SiR Kid)

There's a white 90 model CRX Si here in Memphis, TN for sale... it's CLEAN with a few extra's and just over 100k miles for $3200. No real engine mods yet, just a header and some custom <I think> exhaust.
Nah, i cant get another honda. I'll end up modding it to hell again. I just want a nice, clean ,reliable car for school and work. I like the subaru wrx's...my gf wants me to get it too so..u know how that goes.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, could it be a headgasket blown then?

Keep in mind, compression came out 50 in cylinder 4
Old 03-28-2003, 05:35 PM

sounds to me like your ***** whipped
Old 03-28-2003, 06:10 PM

Default Re: motor blew...wtf?!! (PimpTightSi)

if i had a dollar for everytime i heard that someone blew a honda/acura engine, wi ould have an STI,

just out of curiosity, whats the big killers of your guys's engines? just that lots of people blow honda /acuras all the time, not just you FI guys, but even the NA i/h/e guys,just curious, not flaming in any way, im scared shitless if i blow mine good luck
Old 03-28-2003, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor blew...wtf?!! (evoeone)

if i had a dollar for everytime i heard that someone blew a honda/acura engine, wi ould have an STI,

just out of curiosity, whats the big killers of your guys's engines? just that lots of people blow honda /acuras all the time, not just you FI guys, but even the NA i/h/e guys,just curious, not flaming in any way, im scared shitless if i blow mine good luck
Not too many people blow an na motor w/ just i/h/e. I've seen people spin a rod bearing due to low oil pressure. Most of the time it is due to FI not tuned right.

To be honest, i've been through several motors. This is the last motor i wanted to go through so i got a sleeved block w/ my original forged internals. My previous motors blew due to shitty or no tuning and high boost.

Old 03-28-2003, 06:33 PM

agree, but the spinning the rod is the most common NA,

and crappy tuning and high boost dont mix, well not for long at least

white wrx, paint the rims black, drop it, oh yeaaaaah know someones just like that , actually 16" black sliptreams on it, loooove that car and that engine sputter sound
Old 03-28-2003, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor blew...wtf?!! (evoeone)

Yea, i wanna get a white wrx, drop it on 17" bronze volk te-37s. And maybe an exhaust.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:04 PM

niiice, bronze is only for subies, se -37's are hot too, hard decisions man and whats a wrx w/o an exhaust!?!?
Old 03-28-2003, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont agree...if your compression is 160 170 170 50 its gonna idle like ****..blown headgasket or piston. Just because it idles wrong doesnt mean its a bad headgasket (9-10 times). it could be a number of different things. You just *WANT* it to be a blown headgasket as thats an easy fix.

You should pull the head off the block tho and see whats wrong.

In all my days of blowing up motors ive never blown a head gasket.

liam

[Modified by liam821, 10:39 PM 3/28/2003]
Old 03-28-2003, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor blew...wtf?!! (liam821)

Both times something has blown, its been my headgasket. Both times the idle would fluctuate for no other apparent reason. Pulled the head, headgasket was toast, put a new one on and did some more tuning and everything was fine. If you cracked a piston (which i has happend to friends), at idle it just doesnt idle funny you can hear something wrong with the engine. With the piston cracked, we kept hearing a faint scratching noise in the engine. We thought it was intially a rod bearing, or cracked ring land. Turned out to be a cracked ring land on the stock piston.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've also never had a gasket blow on me. Its always been block catastrophe. When i melted a piston, it ran like total **** and was hard to start. When i broke the ringlands on 2 pistons, blowby like a mother and ran like total ****. With a cracked sleeve, car wouldnt start, zero compression on 1 cylinder.

This really seems to be the headgasket to me tho. I drove it to a friends house yesterday and it drove perfectly. The idle was just a tad off, seems like it got better

I would just take the head off and check, but you dont understand how much i hate working on this **** now. I'll probably do it next month or so when i'm out of school.

[Modified by BoostedSi, 4:54 PM 3/29/2003]
Old 03-29-2003, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've also never had a gasket blow on me. Its always been block catastrophe. When i melted a piston, it ran like total **** and was hard to start. When i broke the ringlands on 2 pistons, blowby like a mother and ran like total ****. With a cracked sleeve, car wouldnt start, zero compression on 1 cylinder.

This really seems to be the headgasket to me tho. I drove it to a friends house yesterday and it drove perfectly. The idle was just a tad off, seems like it got better

I would just take the head off and check, but you dont understand how much i hate working on this **** now. I'll probably do it next month or so when i'm out of school.

[Modified by BoostedSi, 4:54 PM 3/29/2003]
Not smart. You just going to cause more damage by running with a bad headgasket; like warping your head.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:32 AM
Smarter than you

i know u said u retarded it .7deg/psi but what was the actual timing value @ 15psi?
Old 03-29-2003, 08:48 AM

doh!
Old 03-29-2003, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: motor blew...wtf?!! (skhonda)

You might want to check for a bent or burnt valve if this happened at high rpm, You might have floated one.

Quick Reply: motor blew...wtf?!!