Notices

More Boost on JRSC

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Boost on JRSC

I have a D15 with a Jackson Racing supercharger with the standard 6 psi pulley on it. The motor is a JDM import with around 50k on it and is all stock internally. The car has been tuned and has different injectors and a water/meth setup. Aside from a retune is there anything else I should worry about when stepping up to the 12 psi pulley?
Old 08-19-2015, 07:43 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: More Boost on JRSC

Intake air temps...

Roots type blowers are basically big heat pumps, especially at high pressures. Given the size of the standard blower in the D kits (M62 IIRC) you'll probably see a hefty increase in blower outlet temps. How high is hard to say but they will be elevated.

What sort of water methanol system are you using? Typically setups that inject a methanol mixture before the blower suffer erosion of the rotor coatings depending on the volume being injected. While the erosion of the coating does lower blower efficiency the pre-blower water/methanol mixture greatly increases the efficiency of the blower effectively allowing it to behave like a much larger blower.

The most ideal setup would be one pre-blower nozzle to help increase blower efficiency while slightly lowering IATs and then smaller "direct port" nozzles installed midway on the plenum between the blower outlet and head flange centered on each "runner". Most companies call for a 5th nozzle in DP setups installed before the throttle body. The reason for this is because this nozzle would be responsible for the majority of IAT decrease as it has more time to abosorb heat. The other 4 nozzles further reduce IATs while promoting even cylinder distribution and the benefit of gaining some octane from the methanol.

The one biggest issue with JRSC kits and water/meth is the design of the intake manifold. Since it doesn't really have "runners" so even cylinder distribution from a single nozzle becomes a concern.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It should be a mp45 blower on the d-series and nonvtec b-series kits. Wantboost is correct in the iat concern and I would listen to his suggestions. Also check out the jrsc D-series thread, there is some great info and setups to compare and take notes on what worked and what didn't. I know LHT USE to make a intercooler/heatexchanger for the dseries. I dont know if the still do. If they don't make them anymore you may be able to find a used one if you keep your eyes peeled or ask around on the jrsc thread or classifieds.

Last edited by Andy8; 08-20-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:58 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Oh yea that's right, the D kits got that tiny blower... Yea you'll definitely see high IATs @ 12psi on an M45
Old 08-21-2015, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The current setup was installed by a Honda only tuning shop but it was done before I got the car. It's an AEM water/meth system that triggers at 6k rpms but I'm not sure where the nozzle is. It also doesn't have anything to monitor the iat so it looks like I should get a gauge for that before doing any other modifications.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:27 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

If it's the later AEM kit then it should have a remote with a start pressure and a full injection rate pressure but you need to know what size nozzle you have. I've personally never liked the AEM kits because you can't really independently control the injection rate. They only control the rate by controlling pump pressure from a certain psi at the start to full pressure and nozzle size but their controller is crude. In order to know how much you're actually injecting you have to buy another gauge that has a fail safe feature.

With the Aquamist kits you get everything, there's no bullshit upgrading.

But either way you need to know what nozzle size you have and where it is.

They do make intake air temp gauges but you'd have to either drill and thread the plenum or have a threaded bung welded on. They also have dual temp gauges were you could monitor air temp entering the blower and air temp exiting the blower. That would probably be better as you could see how inlet temps affect outlet temps.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The nozzle is in the air intake before the throttle body.