Notices

Modified Greddy??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 09:36 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default żżModified Greddy Turbo Kit??

Here's a question I haven't seen asked, but it would clear up alot of confusion for me. With the debates about the reliability/ease of install of the Greddy kit and the power gains of the Drag Kit, how hard would it be to have the best of both worlds by upgrading the turbo on the Greddy kit to one comprable to the one in the Drag III kit?

Is it the piping or just overall design that prevents an upgrade on the Greddy?...Or is anything preventing an upgrade at all?

Come on guys...lemme know your opinions and ideas.

[Modified by Project_Integra, 1:58 PM 11/12/2001]
Old 11-12-2001, 10:53 AM
New User

Default Re: żżModified Greddy Turbo Kit?? (Project_Integra)

TOP!

I want to know this as well.
Old 11-12-2001, 11:21 AM

With the debates about the reliability/ease of install of the Greddy kit and the power gains of the Drag Kit, how hard would it be to have the best of both worlds by upgrading the turbo on the Greddy kit to one comprable to the one in the Drag III kit?
One thing holding you back from adapting a T3/T04E to your Greddy manifold is the flange. If you coudl somehow adapt a T3 flange onto the Greddy manifold, then you could use a T3/T04E.

You could upgrade the Greddy TD05 18G to a Greddy TD06SH 20G, but the retail cost for this turbo is $1495.00. The 20G should be able to support 400-425 whp. You could also upgrade to a TD06SH 25G or a TD07 25G , but these will run from $1825.00 - $2000.00 Retail. These will easily support 450-500 whp. Note, these turbos will be pretty laggy on a 1.6-18L motor! I figure spool will be in the 4000-4500 rpm range ith the correct trims!
Old 11-12-2001, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: żżModified Greddy Turbo Kit?? (APEXSER)

One thing holding you back from adapting a T3/T04E to your Greddy manifold is the flange. If you coudl somehow adapt a T3 flange onto the Greddy manifold, then you could use a T3/T04E.

You could upgrade the Greddy TD05 18G to a Greddy TD06SH 20G, but the retail cost for this turbo is $1495.00. The 20G should be able to support 400-425 whp. You could also upgrade to a TD06SH 25G or a TD07 25G , but these will run from $1825.00 - $2000.00 Retail. These will easily support 450-500 whp. Note, these turbos will be pretty laggy on a 1.6-18L motor! I figure spool will be in the 4000-4500 rpm range ith the correct trims!
A worked 16g or 20g for an eclipse wouldnt work?
Old 11-12-2001, 04:49 PM
New User

Default Re: żżModified Greddy Turbo Kit?? (5speedv6)

Top! Keep the reply's coming
Old 11-12-2001, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: żżModified Greddy Turbo Kit?? (5speedv6)

Yes, either of those turbos should work, but a 16G will not perform as well as the T3/4 included with a Drag or Revhard. And if the Greddy kit is from an SOHC then you probably don't want to go bigger than a big 16G anyway.
Old 11-12-2001, 06:54 PM

Default Re: żżModified Greddy Turbo Kit?? (mplex2000)

Yes, either of those turbos should work, but a 16G will not perform as well as the T3/4 included with a Drag or Revhard. And if the Greddy kit is from an SOHC then you probably don't want to go bigger than a big 16G anyway.
Actually, I think the 16G & 20G that the Mitsu's use have a differentflange that is completely diferent than the Greddy Manifold! I would have to double check!
Old 11-12-2001, 07:14 PM
New User

Default Re: żżModified Greddy Turbo Kit?? (APEXSER)

hey project integra,,, the greddy 18g turbo kit for the gsr is very nice... i just put one on my car and i love it... i had a fmax kit before and it doesn't even compare to this... the greddy looks alot better and feels better. and my friend here in tampa said he can do a flange on the greddy mani and put a flange on it for a good price,,, so u can to a t3/t4 if u wanted... i'll take u for a ride if u want... im here in tampa...
Old 11-12-2001, 08:11 PM
New User

Default Re: żżModified Greddy Turbo Kit?? (tsjag17)

That wou
hey project integra,,, the greddy 18g turbo kit for the gsr is very nice... i just put one on my car and i love it... i had a fmax kit before and it doesn't even compare to this... the greddy looks alot better and feels better. and my friend here in tampa said he can do a flange on the greddy mani and put a flange on it for a good price,,, so u can to a t3/t4 if u wanted... i'll take u for a ride if u want... im here in tampa...
That would be cool man...I'm all for it....I'm off the next 2 days, so send me a PM so we can meet up.
Another question for you guys....Would the fuel management for the Greddy work well with the upgraded turbo? That would be sweet.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if your going to add a T3, T3/T4, T3/T04 turbo or whatever on your GReddy manifold, don't you need to add a flange for an external wastegate?? I know the TD05 for the GReddy kit uses an internal wastegate while the T3/T4 uses an external wastegate.
Old 11-13-2001, 03:01 AM
New User

Default Re: żżModified Greddy Turbo Kit?? (SuperDuperEG)

The Greddy turbo has an internal wastegate and does not have a flange for an external wastegate. Why not get the Greddy kit and add a 50 wet shot of nitrous to give you more power. You would have quicker spool and a nice hp boost when you want it.
Old 11-13-2001, 05:44 AM
New User

Default Re: żżModified Greddy Turbo Kit?? (turbod97ex)

The Greddy turbo has an internal wastegate and does not have a flange for an external wastegate. Why not get the Greddy kit and add a 50 wet shot of nitrous to give you more power. You would have quicker spool and a nice hp boost when you want it.
Mainly because of the lack of top end power that the Greddy kit supposedly has...I thought about the nitrous, maybe that will come later..but I doubt it.
It would probably be more reliable to upgrade the turbo for more power rather than add another form of FI to an already boosted engine.
Old 11-13-2001, 06:12 AM
BoM
Honda-Tech Member

yep, the greddy kit, is suppose to have as llittle lag as possible,
like the HKS turbos, which make the gsr and SI go .5 seconds faster

Old 11-13-2001, 08:44 AM
New User

Mainly because of the lack of top end power that the Greddy kit supposedly has...I thought about the nitrous, maybe that will come later..but I doubt it.
It would probably be more reliable to upgrade the turbo for more power rather than add another form of FI to an already boosted engine.
Let's take your original question. You said you wanted the best of both worlds between the Greddy and Drag kits. The big difference between the two kits is size, the amount of power that they make, and lag, which, incidently, are directly proportional to each other. They both are equally "easy to install and reliable" so other than that, I don't see what you mean about the best of both worlds.
So, if you wanted to "upgrade" the Greddy kit to make more power, you are going to need replace the turbo with another unit that has an internal wastegate TD06SH 20G or larger as stated above but remember, the cost, and the fact that you have just risen your lag time because of the size of the turbo. At this point, you are better served to have gone with a Drag kit that has an exhaust manifold with an external wastegate or z10eng's setup they are offering here.

This brings us back to the original problem. You wanted the best of both worlds between the two kits and to get the quick spool time of the Greddy, you will need to go with a smaller turbo that is with the Greddy kit. Adding a wet shot of nitrous on the top end where the Greddy starts to fall off will give you that extra power you are lacking. It has been done effectively. There are other ways to get more power besides Nos but if you increae the size of the turbo you will increase your spool/lag time.

[Modified by turbod97ex, 11:46 AM 11/13/2001]
Old 11-13-2001, 12:34 PM
New User

Default Re: żżModified Greddy Turbo Kit?? (turbod97ex)

Let's take your original question. You said you wanted the best of both worlds between the Greddy and Drag kits. The big difference between the two kits is size, the amount of power that they make, and lag, which, incidently, are directly proportional to each other. They both are equally "easy to install and reliable" so other than that, I don't see what you mean about the best of both worlds.
So, if you wanted to "upgrade" the Greddy kit to make more power, you are going to need replace the turbo with another unit that has an internal wastegate TD06SH 20G or larger as stated above but remember, the cost, and the fact that you have just risen your lag time because of the size of the turbo. At this point, you are better served to have gone with a Drag kit that has an exhaust manifold with an external wastegate or z10eng's setup they are offering here.

[Modified by turbod97ex, 11:46 AM 11/13/2001]
Good points.....

I guess with the Drag Kits its all about the installer..I just see alot of posts with people that have problems with piping and stuff, thats what I was referring to about "reliablity". Deciding between the 2 would probably depend on what kind of deal I get...I'm gonna search for that Z10 setup though....
Thanks for the help.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:18 PM

hi would like to know if someone put on the gsr greedy kit on a type r
thx for reply