Notices

A message from Precision Turbo

Old 04-18-2007, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A message from Precision Turbo

Hi Guys
It’s been a long time since I have posted here but this is a little out of control.

So if I may clear up any misconceptions please read on.

This quote was posted on Honda-Tech and with all the hard work we have done for the Honda customers I guess I am more than a little disappointed that we are being thrown under the bus..

"from what ive " HEARD" - clearly just what i heard is that precision turbos is sourcing their bearings/seals/wheels from any company/country they can get their hands on. China, brazil, taiwan etcc. Because Garrett stopped supplying precision with components due to mislabeling of turbos under garrett " model" names such as their GT32E turbo which uses a GT32 comp wheel but std. t3t4 turbine wheel. This is what i've been informed of but i have no proof that this is done nor do i have expertise to confirm this."

First off we have not changed our manufacture supplier base for at least 12 years on probably 95% of the purchased turbocharger products. I am not saying we will not change in the future as we must always be looking for better performing products. We also do not typically modify GT32 compressor wheels to retro on T-series shafts unless by special request for unique applications. In case you were not aware the 61 wheel for the 6152 we brought to market years ago with Garretts help. It is the same compressor wheel used on the GT35R. We did identify many t-series product as “GT Inside” to let our customers know that we had gone the distance to add newer aerodynamics to some of the old T-series technology. This was a few years ago and they are still some of the best performers today!
A GT journal brg turbo can be typically be identified with a 4 bolt joint to the turbine hsg We tooled several exhaust housings so we could introduces the Garrett GT aerodynamics to our customers that were easily bolted into the old applications, in many cases years before the BB stuff became available. It has been a good product. Our catalog of the past was set up to keep the Garrett specific product well identified.
Garrett has a great name in this industry as well as Turbonetics and BorgWarner and ATP Turbo or Tial and many others. I personally will not throw anybody under the bus because they purchase from China. Over the years we have requested a specific T04S compressor cover come from (I believe) China because it was much nicer than the one here in the states. It is the same Style cover as used on the 35R. You might be a little surprised how much of name brand manufacture products come from China. The bottom line is not where it comes from; it’s the quality and performance.

Frankly the success of Precision Turbo has been our ability to provide user friendly technically advanced performance products to this market at the best possible price. We will be bringing many new exciting turbocharger products to this market. Research and development is to fun part of this business and I cannot wait for you guys to see what cool stuff we have been working on!! Last year Precision Turbo & Engine customers won 8 national championships, 5 special event titles and set 13 national records in nearly every racing arena. That comes on the heels of 10 racing championships from the year before. I can guarantee you those turbos did not simply come out of a box.
If you would like give me a call in my office.
219 996 7832

Thanks for you time

Harry Hruska
Precision Turbo

Old 04-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A message from Precision Turbo (PTE Harry)

Now if you guys can just start making some journal bearing turbos in T25 housings I'll be happy

Thanks for clearing this up and taking the time to post on here, just goes to show you how big of an impact websites like this can have on businesses at times!
Old 04-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A message from Precision Turbo (tokes1320)

I would like to ad my 2 cents here. This is my praise for the service from Precision Turbo.

I work in the industry and was having some issues which all trouble shooting with the turbo suggested that it was the selas that had gone out, so i decided to send my SC61 in, and be rebuilt with ball bearings. It arrived back and we continued to have smlking problems. In the end I sent the turbo back 3 times and they even sent me a second turbo to test. IT turned out that all the turbos were good including my original SC61. The problem was the PCV system causing the oil drian to back up at idle, but only at idle.....very strange problem. At first I was frustrated thinking it was the turbo, but in fact it was due to the fact that there were problems with teh PCV system.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:04 PM

Harry. When i tryed to order a new gt4067 it was said they no longer make the turbo and i had heard several reasons why. i also see you're entire catalog no longer has any gt turbos listed the way they used to be

can you explain the radical change to the catalog and why it was not annouced or given any warning that this was comming?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A message from Precision Turbo (Spunkster)

That was a good post Harry. I have posted on my stance on China manufacturing on other message boards before. I want people to understand the difference between a company that slings cheap low quality parts you find all over Ebay such as SSAutochrome and companies like Garrett, Turbonetics and Precision.

It isn't about where a company manufactures their parts. Companies have to make certain financial decisions to survive in the market. It is about the quality system in place in the company designing and selling the product. That is why there is a big business in itself in establishing and certifying quality control systems for companies that manufacture goods. You have probably seen ISO 9000:2000 certified (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9000) advertised before, that is a quality control certification.

It is EXPENSIVE to offer the highest quality at the most competitive pricing. You can't blame businesses for trying to survive by cutting costs where they can without compromising their quality system.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:39 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondatron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Harry. When i tryed to order a new gt4067 it was said they no longer make the turbo and i had heard several reasons why. i also see you're entire catalog no longer has any gt turbos listed the way they used to be

can you explain the radical change to the catalog and why it was not annouced or given any warning that this was comming? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It was a very good turbo but frankly it has always been hard to get parts and expensive to build them. It seemed to always be on backorder and we were getting customers mad for poor delivery, but it really was not our fault. We also offered an upgrade for the 4088R to the 4067R. Garrett introduced the 4094R and we felt the need for the 4067R to be very limited now. We have been working on a very good replacement for the journal brg version of the 4067.
Im not sure if it is in the catalog but it uses the compressor wheel of the GT4088R. Its kind of a cool turbo and maybe better suited for your application. I am not sure if my Salesmen are aware of this unit. Thanks for bringing it up I will look into it. As far as the catalog....HELP !!!I never think we have done the "perfect" catalog! I look at other catalogs and wonder if ours is user friendly. I dont know if it will ever be as good as I want it to be, but we will keep trying ....

Thanks for the kind words from the other posts. As many know I do not have as much time as I would like to follow the internet and I miss it.

Regards
Harry Hruska
Precision Turbo