Notices

Manifold options for internally wastegated turbos

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manifold options for internally wastegated turbos

Firstly, we are glad to own a honda again. I have never done a FI Honda so while I may have a post count, I don't know much about turbos since I havent visited this forum much...

Here are our goals:

I am trying to put together a very simple turbo setup for our hatch. Maybe 300 whp max - a fun daily driver thats dead reliable!

Platform: It will have a JDM B16A2 with LSD tranny and supporting mods such as clutch, flywheel etc

Turbos being considered: GT28RS or GT2871R (internal WG, so need need for boost control/wastegate, maybe run a MBC at max). I would like reaaaaally quick spool and transient boost at higher RPM's

Why - Internal wastegates work on smaller turbos and my experiences with DSM's including the one I currently own have proven there are no major issues with internal WG's

Question: Is there an AC compatible manifold that doesnt have an external WG mount?

That being said, is the log style or inline-pro manifold hurt spool a lot on a low horsepower setup such as ours? I assume the ramhorn is mainly for bigger turbos.

Also, is there a shop that sells a full kit including 3" downpipe for a civic...That would really help simplify things!

Any advice appreciated. I would love to be a part of this community as well and share some fun experiences.

Thanks!

PS - Search features is broken and I couldnt search and wasnt patient enough to wait! Sorry!

Modified by b18c4door at 1:01 PM 9/29/2006
Old 09-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could use a ramhorn or a log...its really up to you. I dont think its going to matter a whole lot if you're using a GT28rs.....personally if it were me building this, i would use a tubular log, but make sure when you order it, just specify no external WG....that simple

go check http://www.hondamarketplace.com and look in the sponsored forum....you'll find everything you need and more
Old 09-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

I would look at a Edelbrock open track kit, that way you can use your own eletronics, and it comes with a GT28RS
Old 09-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Trooper)

Schister66 - To clarify, are you saying a ybular log is better than a cast manifold or the best for this application based on goals? Thanks!

Yep, I have been surfing honda-marketplace A LOT. So tempting to use the credit cards, I need to sell my suzuki first to help sponsor this project

The only other option for a smaller ballbearing requiring an external gate is the GT2876R which may be a good option to stick to in case I decide to build the motor in the late future and up the boost some...

http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...e=GRT

But, I want super simplicity!

Trooper - Thanks! I will google the edelbrock kit now!, I wonder if thats the SOHC kit which may work great coz I could boost the guy under the hood first