Notices

Make sure you feed your turbo with filtered oil and not from the back of the block!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make sure you feed your turbo with filtered oil and not from the back of the block!

I am sure there have been plenty of people that have had a failure from some debris in the oil clogging their oil restrictors and causing the bearings inside the turbo to fail, just happened to me today on a 4th gear 22psi pull down the highway. Car boosted like it always did but I heard a sound that might of been a ping so I backed out of it and pulled into a school to check my datalog, when I was leaving the lot the car acted just like I had blown a coupler or had a huge leak in the charge pipe somewhere. I got home and found no leaks and when I pulled my CAI off the turbo and went to spin the wheel it it was like the bearings exploded as it was just all metal to metal, turbo is a Ball Bearing T3/T67 HO (PT6776RS) and it only had about 3k on it, all from the last month and a half. Took everything apart and found a 3/4 long piece of black RTV completely blocking the restrictor. This was a last minute thing I did when I was putting everything together after I had to remove the feed to install my -12 catch can lines, I just used the RTV in one spot as a last minute thing due to my friend had my HondaBond and it was a $1200 fatal mistake. I will now be feeding my new turbo with a sandwich adaptor and I might even add an inline filter for peace of mind.

Cliff Notes:

1. Dont use RTV (especially too much and or around your oil feed)

Pics......

Comp wheel digging into the housing,

Turbine wheel digging into the housing

Piece of Devil RTV

I am actually not very upset that this happened, the car has nothing in the way of safety done to it, I have a cage kit that needs to be welded in and the car needs to be painted, so now I can try to get the rest of the car caught up, also a good time to get some cams and I will probably go divided T4 this time, possibly a S366-S370 and 4" back.

Modified by 96 GSR-T at 7:16 PM 7/25/2008
Old 07-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Make sure you feed your turbo with filtered oil and not from the back of the block! (96 GSR-T)

Ouch!, more reasons why doing things last minute is risky. GL with a replacement, I'm pretty sure you'll get a bigger and better turbo. Sometimes good things come out from bad situations.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Make sure you feed your turbo with filtered oil and not from the back of the block! (VTECth1s)

I'm not sure why you used rtv at all, but then you got it on more than the threads. That's the problem, not where you got your oil source for the turbo from.

The title should be changed to "I sent rtv through my turbo, and it doesn't work".
Old 07-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Make sure you feed your turbo with filtered oil and not from the back of the block! (Stealthmode

So are sandwich adapters preferable as the OP seems to be saying, or are they just fine to use (but not preferable), or are they not so fine to use for some reason?

Anyone tried on of the ones from glowshift?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Make sure you feed your turbo with filtered oil and not from the back of the block! (Stealthmode

damn ben that is teh suck.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Former Vendor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stealthmode Performance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I'm not sure why you used rtv at all, but then you got it on more than the threads. That's the problem, not where you got your oil source for the turbo from.

The title should be changed to "I sent rtv through my turbo, and it doesn't work". </TD></TR></TABLE>

Going to have to agree here. Why were you using RTV as a thread sealan, period??
Old 07-25-2008, 12:39 AM
HT White Ops

Yeah its not where you were getting your oil from. It didn't have any issues until you decided to use rtv.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cheers for the warning, just getting round to doing this, will now run from sandwich plate!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Make sure you feed your turbo with filtered oil and not from the back of the block! (96 GSR-T)

Install error. It wasn't like a piece of dirt from the engine oil got stuck in the restrictor. It was from you.
I feel comfortable using the oil pressure sensor hole as a feed for the turbo.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Make sure you feed your turbo with filtered oil and not from the back of the block! (m R g S r)

Have any of you ever checked that oil passage? It's filtered oil....
Old 07-25-2008, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Make sure you feed your turbo with filtered oil and not from the back of the block! (tony1)

Classic!
Old 07-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Make sure you feed your turbo with filtered oil and not from the back of the block! (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have any of you ever checked that oil passage? It's filtered oil....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was told repeatedly its unfiltered in the past..........

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stealthmode Performance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I'm not sure why you used rtv at all, but then you got it on more than the threads. That's the problem, not where you got your oil source for the turbo from.

The title should be changed to "I sent rtv through my turbo, and it doesn't work". </TD></TR></TABLE>

I used Sealent because the guy that used this block before me threaded in an incorrect thread into the feed and the kit that I had went in loose due to the damaged threads, if I didnt use sealent it would of leaked

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SD_Lurker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah its not where you were getting your oil from. It didn't have any issues until you decided to use rtv. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I used the RTV from the initial startup of the setup, not like I just used the **** yesterday and it came loose today, the motor has been running for over 6 months.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your feeding from the oil pressure sensor hole its filtered oil.

The only filtered sandwich plate that I can think of is from GE.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thatblkguy)

all oil in you motor is filtered at one point or another guys, if you want 100% to be sure oil is exiting a filter and going straight to the turbo run an inline filter for the turbo oil inlet line.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (blinx9900)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all oil in you motor is filtered at one point or another guys, if you want 100% to be sure oil is exiting a filter and going straight to the turbo run an inline filter for the turbo oil inlet line. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Or just drill and tap the oil filter
Old 07-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostwerks.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostwerks.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Or just drill and tap the oil filter </TD></TR></TABLE>
lol
Old 07-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (importdude2000)

If crap is in the crank case upon assembly or gets in via dipstick hole, breather, etc, if resides in the oil pan until the pickup sucks it in. Until it hits the filter, the oil is only as clean as your oil pan.

Sandwich adapters have to be made to tap into the center hole of the filter section. It goes from the outside, through the filter, then into the center threaded hole.

Personally I use the oem sensor hole, except its all rigid using 3/8" copper. Zero flexing forces on my threads.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

congrats to you for not blaming every company that you bought parts of of .....not every day that some one looks at there own stuff first
Old 07-26-2008, 09:15 PM

Sorry bout ur misfortune, hope everything works out for the best
Old 07-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was told repeatedly its unfiltered in the past..........
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think the people that told everyone that the oil from the oil pressure sender is not filtered are the people who made the oil sandwich adapter

I personally never had any problem with getting oil anywhere in the block. Maybe I got lucky

stan
Old 07-28-2008, 02:14 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have any of you ever checked that oil passage? It's filtered oil....</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blown90hatcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Classic!</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol
Old 07-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Make sure you feed your turbo with filtered oil and not from the back of the block! (Hybridcivic

You said you had to put RTV on the thread to get a good seal because the threads were partially stripped. That RTV was right at the entrance to the oil feed line. That's what allowed it to get into the line, to the oil restrictor and clog it. If you RTVed the a feed line from a sandwhich plate you would have the same result. I'm sorry to hear about your turbo , but it wasn't your feed location that caused the problem.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Make sure you feed your turbo with filtered oil and not from the back of the block! (Hybridcivic

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dren &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You said you had to put RTV on the thread to get a good seal because the threads were partially stripped. That RTV was right at the entrance to the oil feed line. That's what allowed it to get into the line, to the oil restrictor and clog it. If you RTVed the a feed line from a sandwhich plate you would have the same result. I'm sorry to hear about your turbo , but it wasn't your feed location that caused the problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for your explanation, until now I had absolutely NO idea how this happened ........ try reading