Notices

LSD on high HP turbo app???? why not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 LSD on high HP turbo app???? why not?

SO LSD means two wheels creating torque instead of the one drive one. Why does everybody say that on a high horsepower application. LSD is not Ideal and will just trash your tranny.... dont you want as much traction as possible? Can anybody explain this for me.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LSD on high HP turbo app???? why not?

hey i would also like to know the answer to this question too, ive never even heard such a thing about not needing LSD.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe they were refering to Super High HP, I think most of the guys in the 850+ range with dedicated drag cars use spools over LSD's, I would think a spool could distribute the power more reliably in that power range, I never took one apart but I would imagine there is alot less stuff to break in a spool than an LSD.

LSD's as far as I know have to engage whereas a spool is always locked, which is why they jerk the tires when you turn the wheel.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:57 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

spool is a solid piece of metal. There are no rotating parts in it. It's like you took your differential and welded the spider gears. It's also lighter then any differential so there is less rotational mass. If you got a purpose build drag car and all it does is goes down the 1/4 mile spool is the way too go; it's cheaper and better.
I do not recomend to drive with a spool on the street because everytime you take a turn you will hear a loud bang because inside tire needs to turn slower then outside. It will lead to major damage to your drivetrain.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Here's an ENTIRE description. Please make this a Sticky.

There are also several different types of LSDs.

Clutch type - driveshaft torque activated
This include Kaaz, Cusco, Spoon, ATS Cross (Carbonetics)

The clutch-type LSD responds to driveshaft torque. The more driveshaft input torque present, the harder the clutches are pressed together, and thus the more closely the drive wheels are coupled to each other. With no / little input torque (trailing throttle/gearbox in neutral/main clutch depressed) the drive wheels are still coupled somewhat as the clutches are always in contact to some degree, producing friction. The amount of preload (hence static coupling) on the clutches is determined by the general condition (wear) of the clutches and by how tightly they are shimmed.

There are three input torque states: load, no load, and over run. Under load, as previously stated, the coupling is proportional to the input torque. With no load, the coupling is reduced to the static coupling. The behaviour on over run (particularly sudden throttle release) determines whether the LSD is 1 way, 1.5 way, or 2 way.

If there is no additional coupling on over run, the LSD is 1 way. This is a safer LSD, as soon as the driver lifts the throttle, the LSD unlocks and behaves somewhat like a conventional open differential. This is also the best for FWD cars, as it allows the car to turn in on throttle release, instead of ploughing forward.

If the LSD increases coupling in the same way regardless of whether the input torque is forwards or reverse, (acceleration or deceleration) it is a 2 way differential. Some drifters prefer this type as the LSD behaves the same regardless of their erratic throttle input, and lets them keep the wheels spinning all the way through a corner.
An inexperienced driver can easily spin the car when using a 2 way LSD if they lift the throttle suddenly, expecting the car to settle like a conventional open differential.
If the LSD behaves somewhere in between these two extremes, it is a 1.5 way differential, which is a compromise between sportiness and safety.

Geared Torque Sensitive - HONDA OEM LSD. as an example.
Geared, torque-sensitive mechanical limited slip differentials utilize worm gears to "sense" torque on one shaft. The most famous versions are:
Torsen differential based upon the Dual-Drive Differential
Quaife differential
Eaton Corporation differential, sold under the name Eaton Detroit Truetrac.

Geared LSDs are less prone to wear than the clutch type, but both output shafts have to be loaded to keep the proper torque distribution characteristics. Once an output shaft becomes free (e.g., one driven wheel lifts off the ground; or a summer tire comes over ice while another is on dry tarmac when the car goes uphill), no torque is transmitted to the second shaft and the torque-sensitive differential behaves like an open differential.

(This is why I always laugh at people who get OEM Torsen LSDs, and expect them to behave like a Quaife or other Helical LSD when they turbocharge the car over 500whp. The tires won't grip well unless the car has slightly turned off of a straight line)

Geared LSDs are dependent on the torque and not on the speed difference between the output shafts. Such differentials may not be adequate on extremely slippery surfaces such as ice (or thin air, when a drive wheel loses ground contact altogether).
Geared LSDs may be used to reduce torque steer in front-wheel drive vehicles

ELECTRONIC DIFFERENTIALS - K-series engines w/ VSD - Example Acura TSX
Electronic limited slip differential systems use speed sensors, anti-lock brakes, and microcomputers to electronically monitor slipping. If any of the wheels on an axle is rotating unusually faster than the others, the computer will assume that it is slipping and will briefly apply brakes to it, slowing the spinning wheel down and causing the opposite wheels to gain speed and keep traction.
One advantage of this system over mechanical is that the vehicle steering and control is less affected. It also generates less stress on the drive train compared to a mechanical locking device, making it particularly suitable for the vehicles with independent suspension. It can also be tuned for specific applications on and off road and at different speeds.
A disadvantage is that it is less predictable when going over an obstacle, as the system needs time to react. Also, the wheel with traction will only have half of the available torque applied to it.

Spool
A spool limits differential rotation to exactly zero. A spool consists of a pinion & ring gear only, the center is solid, the axle is one piece. A mini-spool is similar, replacing the usual differential center with a solid piece, retaining the factory axles. A spool is not a differential at all, but is used to achieve a similar effect to an LSD on some street and race cars. This arrangement is popular in the motorsport of drifting where copious wheelspin is seen to be an advantage. Those involved in "drifting" create a custom differential by welding-solid a standard open differential to produce a home made spool.

Last edited by TheShodan; 05-05-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Shodan, your a badass thank you sir..

LSD is the best thing I ever did for my car, well other than the turbo
Old 05-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that answers my question I need a LSD for my next tranny...and not the T.J. kind