Notices

ls turbo build...need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls turbo build...need help

im pretty new here and have been searching and reviewing for some time. i recently tore down my ls block that had a spun rod bearing. i plan on going all out for boost. this is what i have in my head so far as to what i want to do/use for build.
stock crank, eagle (crs5394a3d) rods, ??? pistons, arp head studs, cometic head gasket, acl rod and main bearings, block guard (decided not to re-sleeve)

what pistons should i use that will work with the rods i have. any input good or bad is appreciated. please help as if this was your own build, what you would use and why
Old 01-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls turbo build...need help (eviiil)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eviiil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im pretty new here and have been searching and reviewing for some time. i recently tore down my ls block that had a spun rod bearing. i plan on going all out for boost. this is what i have in my head so far as to what i want to do/use for build.
stock crank, eagle (crs5394a3d) rods, ??? pistons, arp head studs, cometic head gasket, acl rod and main bearings, block guard (decided not to re-sleeve)

what pistons should i use that will work with the rods i have. any input good or bad is appreciated. please help as if this was your own build, what you would use and why</TD></TR></TABLE>
you might not be able to reuse your crank...have it checked out first. Another thing, What is your power goal?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:51 PM

Default Re: ls turbo build...need help (red_crx)

there is no visible damage to the crank, that was the first thing checked. given that it is in perfect condition...i will re-use it. my power goal is 400-500whp depending on turbo setup and tuning. but ill stay safe and say 400whp. i also understand a lot has to do with the head build, but i want to concentrate mainly on the bottom end right now
Old 01-30-2008, 01:03 PM

dont use the block guard. you can use cp, je, ross, weisco.... pistons are kind of a prefrence item, they are all good. what head do you have. id go with 780cc+ injectors for that power level
Old 01-30-2008, 01:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by red_crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you might not be able to reuse your crank...have it checked out first. Another thing, What is your power goal?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Clearances are tight, you can't see 0.006" under. Just a thought. I wanna build mine too but I would rather do the supporting mods first, Suspension, clutch, crap like that.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:37 PM

Default Re: ls turbo build...need help (dbiker207)

why not the block guard? goods and bads about it. if i dont use it what should i use if anything at all. and im using the stock ls head. its going to be a full ls build. suggestions?? i was looking at some wiseco pistons fyi
Old 01-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eviiil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why not the block guard? goods and bads about it. if i dont use it what should i use if anything at all. and im using the stock ls head. its going to be a full ls build. suggestions?? i was looking at some wiseco pistons fyi</TD></TR></TABLE>
I would suggest a vtec head instead of building the ls head. Do a search on here for block guards, works for some and not for others.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:48 PM

block guards work fine when installed properly. i just dont think they do anything to help. its a waste of money in my opinion. spend the 100 bucks on something else. there are alot of ppl running 400whp+ on stock sleeves and no block guard. i would definetly get a vtec head, they flow just as much stock as a fully built ls head, and i bet you would spend more money building the ls head rather than using a stock vtec head
Old 01-30-2008, 01:50 PM

i think the main reason why im going with the stock head is because im familiar with it. its still up in the air i might do a vtec head. like i said earlier my main concentration is the bottom end right now.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:50 PM

Default Re: ls turbo build...need help (dbiker207)

any other suggestions...or comments
Old 01-31-2008, 08:20 PM

Just curious why not just go b20?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:24 AM

Default Re: ls turbo build...need help (jdm_dre)

i aquired an ls motor that had a spun rod bearing for free. so im working with what i got