Notices

LS Turbo Automatic - HP Loss??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Turbo Automatic - HP Loss??

Well, originally we had a DRAGIII turbo kit on it with a Walbro 255 - We pulled the Walbro (intank) and installed the inline pump that came with the kit. Now my question is, when the car was dynoed orginally with the intank pump it only put out 150 +/- hp. Now that we have installed the inline it seems to pull alittle harder but not 100hp more!! How much loss should be expected due to the car being an auto - do Honda's lose a lot when not a manual tranny? Or do you guys think something still might not be correct.

DRAGIII Turbo Kit
MSD-BTM ignition
AEM Fuel Rail
Vortech FMU 12:1
Magnecor Wires
Missing Link
Plugs
Old 04-10-2002, 05:37 PM

Default Re: LS Turbo Automatic - HP Loss?? (TURBOED-TEG)

I am waiting to upgrade my trans before i boost my teg. But anyway, the last stock dyno i saw for an auto LS, it only put 100 HP to the wheels. Althought it is only a 50 HP increase over stock, thats still a big bump up over stock.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS Turbo Automatic - HP Loss?? (SlowAutoLS)

i havent dyno'd my car yet, but the times i've ran are more than to be expected out of a supercharged auto LS. so i doubt the tranny makes you lose 20 whp compared to a manual...
Old 04-10-2002, 08:18 PM
New User

Default Re: LS Turbo Automatic - HP Loss?? (94hondahybrid)

How yah figure that superchargers work better than turbo's on auto's?

Turbo's run off exhaust gas pressure... auto's allow you to ALWAYS be foot in it... which keeps the exhaust pressure up, causeing a turbo newer to spool down. meaning never loose boost.

IMO, turbo's are BEST with auto's... just not stock Honda Auto's. Sorry guys.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:37 PM

Default Re: LS Turbo Automatic - HP Loss?? (SiR Kid)

I agree, auto turbo is FUN :D as long as my tranny doesnt shoot something onto the road and blow up I'm happy (I don't drive it like I stole it).
Old 04-11-2002, 06:13 AM

Default Re: LS Turbo Automatic - HP Loss?? (shadowdawn)

Well I also want to know how I can get to a full 7psi on the wastegate spring - Currently the car will only hit 5.5 to 6 psi. what can be done? So 175 - 200 hp isn't bad for an auto LS? Anybody have an auto with Level10 tranny parts (torque converter, shift kit, or complete transmission)?
Old 04-11-2002, 09:04 AM

Default Re: LS Turbo Automatic - HP Loss?? (TURBOED-TEG)

There is only 1 person I know of with a honda and levelten work and he currently emails us (auto people) every here and there to update us on it, he got the WHOLE 9 yards levelten tranny, his email is: stevelewis@netzero.net Just ask this guy to add you too his list of people to email thats all.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS Turbo Automatic - HP Loss?? (csufweed)

Hey csufweed if you don't mind me asking what times are you getting then? since you mentioned that you were doing better than a supercharged auto ls should be getting?
Old 04-11-2002, 03:41 PM

Ok to clarify something and explain the reason why I got a turbo instead of supercharger (I'm automatic so I know what I'm talking about from driving a auto turbo).

1. Turbo is more powerfull, and more possibilities
2. I got a good deal on a used rev hard stage 2 kit (jrsc is expensive as *****)
3. With automatics NO you don't spool just idling BUT when you are boosting and the car shifts THE PRESSURE DOES NOT DROP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! did you read that? If you don't know why its because as long as our foot is on that pedal boost stays full during shifts and air keeps flowing, no stoppage, nothing.

Also to make a point about shift points, when I drive normally what do I care if I hit boost because the car shifts when turbo just starts spooling? When I drive on the highway, or to get on the highway or drive spiritedly the car shifts at redline if you punch it, simple as that, and remember when it shifts like that to the next gear full boost is built and stays...

This is from experience... with an LS motor I would go turbocharged any day on a auto and keep it at a reasonable sub 10psi on the turbo kit and you will be ok. My tranny isen't acting funnier or making noises or slipping, but then again I don't drive my car like a $2 ***** or like I stole, I'd like to keep my car for a while and nor break **** by doing stupid things all the time. And remember NEVER N BOMB IT. If you wanna be cool then smoke them with a sleeping auto... brownie points.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i ran a 13.9@101mph

though there are a lot of little things I had done, its still impressive for an auto LS... supercharged! I know of an Si running 13.5's with stock boost, but he's a manual of course. Just for comparison...
Old 04-11-2002, 04:00 PM

Default Re: LS Turbo Automatic - HP Loss?? (csufweed)

Nice, I have yet to let you guys know what a turbo'ed at 7psi will run automatic... need to get a tial wg my delta is too old, with a 7-9psi spring hitting a max of .25 bar boost is crappy ... it might get stuck on me one day and overboost.. don't want that now do I
Old 04-11-2002, 07:43 PM

My point is merely this:

During normal/spirited driving NOT TRACK USE, when your boosting and the car shifts there IS NO pressure loose of air/psi to the intake at all, none I see it with my own eyes everyday, yes you loose whatever hp/torque when it shifts but thats normal. I'm not argueing that autos are supreme but are NOT pieces of **** like everyone makes them out to be, no need to get all defensive.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:52 PM
New User

Wow. Someone needs to take a transmission class himself.

umm do you know how an automatic works? It basically does the exact same thing as a manual but computer controlled.
WRONG!

Between shifts it temporarily cuts the cinnection between the engine and the axles, same as a stick
Wrong again....

Auto tranny never "cuts the cinnection between the engine and the axles". It simply slips power from one set of disks to another to create the "gear ratios" that the engine uses...All without ever letting the power go to waste<besides parasitic losses>... With JUST A STALL CONVERTER on a turbo'd car <let's say 2500 stall just to keep it streetable> the car will be able to NOT MOVE up to an RPM level of about 3000 RPM, and force the turbo to spool while sitting at the line, creating boost, and getting ready to go. This is better than the manual tranny, unless you have a 2 step or other stutter device.

My ONLY reason for not wanting an auto tranny in my turbo'd Honda and Mustang, is because I get bored not shifting, and I don't like the way an auto tranny "guesses" what you want it to do. PLus, sorry to say it, but a stock Honda tranny is NOT long for this world making 200+ ft pounds of torque.

PLUS, haven't you ever noticed the D,3,2,1 and whatever on he SHIFTER of the auto tegs? Those numbers tell the tranny what gear YOU want it in. If the tranny shifts before redline, it's because you were dumb enough to leave it in Drive when you should be telling it when to shift.

Sorry about the vent, guys, but this insanity has to stop.

[Modified by SiR Kid, 11:57 PM 4/11/2002]
Old 04-11-2002, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice, I have yet to let you guys know what a turbo'ed at 7psi will run automatic... need to get a tial wg my delta is too old, with a 7-9psi spring hitting a max of .25 bar boost is crappy ... it might get stuck on me one day and overboost.. don't want that now do I
Thanks man... i had a hard time breaking into the 13's... you should do it with ease...
Old 04-11-2002, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS Turbo Automatic - HP Loss?? (SiR Kid)

word jody...

i HATE the fact that the auto tranny "guesses" so I end up shifting it myself most the time. Bottom line is an auto will dominate any manual. There is no way a person can outshift a computer! Keep in mind I am talking built autos, not the stock honda auto tranny you find in a civic dx.

High Stall Torque Converter ~ $400
Performance Rebuild Kit ~ $600
Shifttronic Plug & Play Unit ~$1000

For a Honda these 3 things add up to about $2000 not including tax or shipping from levelten. Labor $1000 to install TQ Converter and do the rebuild. (Shiftronic Kit is Plug & Play, DUH?!)

What you get is fast hard crisp shifts and the ability to control the shifting. You will blow away manuals in your automatic with this set up and needless to say you will be able to transfer more power to the wheels. Anyone who disagrees... make a shift in a few millaseconds and then you have a case.