Notices

LS or GSr for turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2001, 01:32 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS or GSr for turbo

I was wondering whats better for turbo a LS engine or a gsr. since vtech is disabled with turbo whats the point of the gsr. I plan on fully building the engine.
Old 07-13-2001, 03:49 AM

Default Re: LS or GSr for turbo (Trajic)

Who ever told U that VTEC is disabled with a GSR? That is Not true, some people think they make more power without it but I dont know if that is actually true. A GSR block is better because:
1. It has a more aggresive cam profile(In VTEC mode)
2. It has oil squirters that squirts oil on the back of the piston which helps to cool the piston.
3. It is a stronger block.
4. Lots of parts are available, its very popular. and more
Old 07-13-2001, 04:04 AM
New User

Default Re: LS or GSr for turbo (Liltrix)

I agree with the statements about the block.

However, the part about VTEC being disabled is where I differ slightly.

When the VTEC lobes on the cam engage, you end up with a slight valve overlap. Or both sets of valve being open for a split second at the same time. Now this is great on a N/A motor because it helps create a more powerful vacuum in effect pulling more air into the cylinders. On aboosted car, since you are forcing air into the cylinders already, you do not need this effect. In reality, you are actually, for a split second, pushing air out of the cylinder by way of the exhaust valve. Now, a set of cam gear can help you tune the cams to get rid of that small problem. If you want to take it a step further, a set of roller rockers will keep you on those VTEC lobes at all time and let you rev much quicker and higher. Combine those with some cam gears on the GSR motor and you have a hell of a turboed car.

edit - personally, I would go with the B18C over the B18B.

[Modified by Big James, 9:14 AM 7/13/2001]
Old 07-13-2001, 04:58 AM
Trial User

Default Re: LS or GSr for turbo (Big James)

I'm not sure about the technical sides of these things.. but Nfurno (LS integra) dyno'd his car and got about 220 on a realtively stock setup... another couple people on here with a GSR got roughly 260...

I'm pretty sure it was the more aggressive "vtec" profile that helped get the extra power..

a little overlap is ok, but I wouldnt go get crazy cams with tons of overlap.
Old 07-13-2001, 05:49 AM

Default Re: LS or GSr for turbo (GSRwBOOST)

Stock for stock, the LS is better because you can boost at a higher rate. The LS is a lower compression motor, therefore, it only makes sense.

But, if you build a GSR block, it will make more power than an LS motor, especially with that high RPM.
Old 07-13-2001, 06:12 AM
New User

Default Re: LS or GSr for turbo (420TegLS)

Stock for stock, the LS is better because you can boost at a higher rate. The LS is a lower compression motor, therefore, it only makes sense.
True, however higher boost does not automatically equal higher HP. Boosting a lower psi on a higher compression motor can generate the same, if not more HP than the low compression motor with more boost.

Old 07-13-2001, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS or GSr for turbo (Big James)

thats is so true.. high compression ofcourse is going to definitely make more pwr at the same boost level of a lower compression motor.
Old 07-13-2001, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a simple answer, the GS-R motor will outperform the LS. The LS head simply cant flow as much air as a GSR head. Now If you're on a budget then you might consider an LS motor. For the price of a stock GS-R motor I can build an LS motor that will run circles around the GSR. But if money isnt a concern then of course go with the GSR motor.
Old 07-13-2001, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS or GSr for turbo (TurboInteg95)

persoanlly, i think its all a matter of how crazy you want to get.

bolt on kit, ~7 psi or so, slightly mod'ed or stock internals, the gsr will kick an ls's *** pound for pound.
However, for high boost aplications, you will see me NO WHERE near a vtec engine. Think about it more like this-- A gsr has 10.x:1 compression. who cares? if your gonna bOOst it, your gonna build it and drop that to at least mid 9:1's. but what vtec SUCKS in turbo set ups is not the electronic lift control- its the variable timing part. In effect, on the vtec cam, the timing is advanced. And boost, well- it likes retarded timing. so, what you are doing is fighting each other-- and that leads to problems that i know I don't want to deal with.

Hence, why I'm currently building an LS for boost to go in my del sol. shootin for 300 WHP when im done, in a daily driver/only driver format.

to each his own, but I would NEVER boost a vtec more than 7.
Old 07-13-2001, 10:59 PM
BoM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS or GSr for turbo (delvtecsol)

also u get to tell people u drive a turbo VTEC....ain't that cool....

i got a turbo nonvtec.....boooooo!!! not as cool ^
Old 07-14-2001, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS or GSr for turbo (delvtecsol)

persoanlly, i think its all a matter of how crazy you want to get.

bolt on kit, ~7 psi or so, slightly mod'ed or stock internals, the gsr will kick an ls's *** pound for pound.
However, for high boost aplications, you will see me NO WHERE near a vtec engine. Think about it more like this-- A gsr has 10.x:1 compression. who cares? if your gonna bOOst it, your gonna build it and drop that to at least mid 9:1's. but what vtec SUCKS in turbo set ups is not the electronic lift control- its the variable timing part. In effect, on the vtec cam, the timing is advanced. And boost, well- it likes retarded timing. so, what you are doing is fighting each other-- and that leads to problems that i know I don't want to deal with.

Hence, why I'm currently building an LS for boost to go in my del sol. shootin for 300 WHP when im done, in a daily driver/only driver format.

to each his own, but I would NEVER boost a vtec more than 7.
ill have to disagree on most of this... vtec and turbo do not suck... u just have to know how to tune it right and u have a monster... once u change internals in the block it really doesnt matter what block u have... as for lowering the compression... nowadays there is no need for it... 10:1 is perfect with turbo on the street...

as for the variable lift part u were talking about... i dont know the exact details of it... but i know it works and i have seen it done over and over... vtec heads makeing more power than non-vtec heads
Old 07-14-2001, 02:46 PM
New User

i like my gsr just fine.........and you would too.