Notices

Lowest whp turbo b16 in the country

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 05:33 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Lowest whp turbo b16 in the country

Originally Posted by B and B
Some of ya'll did dog the new man pretty fast, though.
Don't have to ridicule the ************ just 'cause he lacks turbo knowledge and didn't buy the top ****, damn.
He's trying to have fun doing what he can do and learn.

I'm not so knowledgeable myself, but at this point, I'm just curious as to what happened, so....a couple more questions/comments if I may?.page 2 ownage

Thats what this section turned into

Theres hardly anyone here and any time someone asks a question these ******** are ready to jump down their throat.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Re: Lowest whp turbo b16 in the country

Yeah it’s pretty unfortunate, I have never really come on this site to ask questions. You can basically Google a question regarding an issue with a Honda and find some thread here on Honda Tech. Some have good answers, some never really go anywhere but the bad part is those helpful threads are pretty dang old.

I can’t really blame some of the guys on here for flaming because some of the threads that pop up from people are just damn dumb. Almost every couple days someone posts up about building a 1000whp daily driver street build or trying to make 500whp on a $1000 dollar budget.

I usually look, laugh and move on, some decide to flame because when you try to give the poster a reality check they argue. It boils down to this, the people who actually have the money and know what it takes to do these builds don’t usually ask for help or questions. The ones with pipe dreams are usually the ones who post these threads talking about what they plan on doing in the future.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
Almost every couple days someone posts up about building a 1000whp daily driver street build or trying to make 500whp on a $1000 dollar budget.

I usually look, laugh and move on, some decide to flame because when you try to give the poster a reality check they argue. It boils down to this, the people who actually have the money and know what it takes to do these builds don’t usually ask for help or questions. The ones with pipe dreams are usually the ones who post these threads talking about what they plan on doing in the future.
^While this is true, OP actually does have a turbo Honda, his goals and budget not listed but that's probably because he knows what he wants to do, I don't think he should be flamed for anything so far.. I cant answer whether his car should make more power though, but before this is derailed any further, maybe someone else can give him some advice on what to do next?

And ill add, even people who know what it takes, and has the money it takes to do it might need to ask questions sometimes lol
Old 09-18-2015, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cheer up buddy... it could be worse.

we had this noob kid come in with his "fully built" gsr turbo... made 170whp @ 8psi on 6262 turbo...

took off the charge pipe to do NA run, made 40whp...

SMH....kid didn't even know what rods pistons head work was done....
Old 09-18-2015, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would question the tuning here. Why he even decided to tune it on stock injectors is beyond me. Its all gonna change when you put different ones in there.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:39 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nah, I skip over most stupid threads and don't post near as much as I look. I corrected the guy, and TheShodan elaborated. Some more stuff was said expressing his concerns. I said give him credit about his concerns then jokingly said stuff in reply to his statement that "at least it's not a eBay turbo". The cost difference isn't much... he decided to single me out with butt hurt (as most do with my replies). Then "Geis" wants to spew BS hoping I will respond, but I am on another level - I got several.

Either way, I am always the anti-hero, but I'll take it and own up to it. At least you guys don't have to cry about Scott posting anymore. Amirite?

Oh, and I find it cute turbohatchy is trying to be serious as of late. What changed bud, decided to put big boy britches on? AZ Civic is right though, practically every question can be answered by searching (cue music - "I, am, the war-rior!!!"). Oh, 92CivicEG, nah, most people that are capable usually try it and see what happens or make phone calls first. The last thing someone does is make a thread. Seems like making a thread is the first thing people do when they don't have a clue and aren't capable either.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
Nah, I skip over most stupid threads and don't post near as much as I look. I corrected the guy, and TheShodan elaborated. Some more stuff was said expressing his concerns. I said give him credit about his concerns then jokingly said stuff in reply to his statement that "at least it's not a eBay turbo". The cost difference isn't much... he decided to single me out with butt hurt (as most do with my replies). Then "Geis" wants to spew BS hoping I will respond, but I am on another level - I got several.

Either way, I am always the anti-hero, but I'll take it and own up to it. At least you guys don't have to cry about Scott posting anymore. Amirite?

Oh, and I find it cute turbohatchy is trying to be serious as of late. What changed bud, decided to put big boy britches on? AZ Civic is right though, practically every question can be answered by searching (cue music - "I, am, the war-rior!!!"). Oh, 92CivicEG, nah, most people that are capable usually try it and see what happens or make phone calls first. The last thing someone does is make a thread. Seems like making a thread is the first thing people do when they don't have a clue and aren't capable either.
I **** around in gdd or the random chat

I dont go out of my way to call someone a mouth breathing **** stain just to fee better about myself in a random thread
This section is dead and flaming noobs isnt making it better
Old 09-18-2015, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

I also think the root of the problem with a lot of the issues I see posted is the fact that these questions should have been asked directly to the source, in the case the tuner. Now if this was a good tuner they should have easily been able to give this guy a good reason why his power goals were what they were.

I am lucky for the fact that my tuner is Locash, he has the knowledge and experience to pretty much sum up anything that is happening on the dyno. If this guy’s tuner has a good reputation it should be the same, heck the tuner should have advised going against tuning the car until the guy had the proper injectors for the setup.

I also think a lot of the time we hear the one sided account of just the angry person. For all we know, the tuner may have suggested tuning at another time since the guys injectors were the wrong size or whatever the issue was. The OP may have decided to still go ahead with a tune on stock injectors. Now, that their numbers are low, they are pissed and decided to create a thread asking why this could be, instead of getting that information from the tuner.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But lower than stock? How does that happen? Turbo fails and just becomes an obstruction?
Or some complete fail like Charlie related, I guess.
I don't think the dyno was even on, lol.
Shadyspeed Performance, famous tuners, damn...that's why I wanna be like the cool kids and tune my own.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:31 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by B and B
But lower than stock? How does that happen? Turbo fails and just becomes an obstruction?
Or some complete fail like Charlie related, I guess.
I don't think the dyno was even on, lol.
Shadyspeed Performance, famous tuners, damn...that's why I wanna be like the cool kids and tune my own.
Its fun man. Just dont tell people when you blow a motor. They love to point fingers
Old 09-18-2015, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just the kind of response I was looking for man, thanks!
Still waiting for boostedgsr to let us know when that ebay wg fails on him and blows up his motor from overboosting since he went with the 'rather get a legit bov' route.
Oh wait that's what boost gauges are for...
Old 09-18-2015, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
I also think the root of the problem with a lot of the issues I see posted is the fact that these questions should have been asked directly to the source, in the case the tuner. Now if this was a good tuner they should have easily been able to give this guy a good reason why his power goals were what they were.

I am lucky for the fact that my tuner is Locash, he has the knowledge and experience to pretty much sum up anything that is happening on the dyno. If this guy’s tuner has a good reputation it should be the same, heck the tuner should have advised going against tuning the car until the guy had the proper injectors for the setup.

I also think a lot of the time we hear the one sided account of just the angry person. For all we know, the tuner may have suggested tuning at another time since the guys injectors were the wrong size or whatever the issue was. The OP may have decided to still go ahead with a tune on stock injectors. Now, that their numbers are low, they are pissed and decided to create a thread asking why this could be, instead of getting that information from the tuner.
Very good point, I somehow overlooked the fact that half the idiots here lie to protect egos are w/e
Old 09-19-2015, 05:21 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Wut? What is a boost gauge going to do for you exactly? You haven't been around turbos much have you? In the case of a over boost condition, it can happen quicker than you can blink an eye. You need engine management set up properly as a safeguard because there is no way you can react that fast.

So now people have to post pictures to prove themselves? LOL! OK, you first.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:11 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So now people have to post pictures to prove themselves? LOL! OK, you first.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:23 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

I am down for whatever big boy, you show me yours I'll show you mine.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Geis
Just the kind of response I was looking for man, thanks!
Still waiting for boostedgsr to let us know when that ebay wg fails on him and blows up his motor from overboosting since he went with the 'rather get a legit bov' route.
Oh wait that's what boost gauges are for...
Umm I know how to set boost cut lol... And my bov is a $35 rfl haha. I build **** boxes just for fun.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Umm I know how to set boost cut lol... And my bov is a $35 rfl haha. I build **** boxes just for fun.
It was a joke man...
Just read your build thread the other day, great work
Furthermore... this only reaffirms what my point was.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Geis
It was a joke man...
Just read your build thread the other day, great work
Furthermore... this only reaffirms what my point was.
Thanks man. I know you are just joking around. I don't take anything too seriously on this site.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VegaS10
What shop in NC is doing this "work"?

I am a few miles south of you if you're in Wake county and can give you some solid recommendations for a tuner.
Phantasm is doing the work I really didn't want to bring it there and wanted TCS in Greensboro to street tune it. My buddy dyno tuned at phantasm made 276 whp on a ls ran a 9.7 1/8 then a month later went to TCS to street tune and was running consistent 8.4 with whp unknown but he is a hard guy to get ahold of. I have a appointment tomorrow morning to retune on 450cc injectors and I changed the air filter to K&N. Power goal was 250whp so we will see what happens tomorrow. I don't know if I should trust this guy or not.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
I would question the tuning here. Why he even decided to tune it on stock injectors is beyond me. Its all gonna change when you put different ones in there.
I decided to tune on stock injectors because he already had 3 hours of it being on the dyno trying to figure out what was causing the misfire so we went back to stock to see if it fixed it. I didn't want to take my setup off the car and needed it to be able to run and drive safely until I got another set of injectors so we tuned it on stock since I was already paying $270 regardless.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Charlie Moua
cheer up buddy... it could be worse.

we had this noob kid come in with his "fully built" gsr turbo... made 170whp @ 8psi on 6262 turbo...

took off the charge pipe to do NA run, made 40whp...

SMH....kid didn't even know what rods pistons head work was done....
Tuning wise I'm a noob for sure but internally I can do the machine work so I atleast know what everything is its what I do for a living along with regular machining jobs but every so often I get someone who needs a head decks or block bored out etc etc.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Get rid of that OIL FEED FLANGE NOW!!! You're ASKING for this thing to be starved of oil.

You don't want this garbage with a tiny hole on the bottom. You'll starve it during low oil pressure when the car is at operating temperature.

If you must use a flanged version of an oil feed, it must be like this
where the restricted oil opening is at the TOP, with an empty space at the bottom

The BEST version to use is:

but you must check to see that it is .060-.065" on the journal bearing older Turbonetics. The newer versions (2013-present) do not need one unless oil pressure is over 100psi at cold start. Most honda B-series get to about 75psi-85psi on the stock oil pump at the oil feed line.
Can I open the hole up to .06-.065" for now until a new one arrives? I didn't take the turbo apart but when I looked in it I didn't see a shiny ball bearing but I know a lot of these older oil/water cooled turbo came with them.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:22 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you don't trust who's tuning your car then don't let them tune it. If you have doubts there's a reason for it and so far I'm pretty sure we'd all agree that the reasons are justified.

Find a tuner you trust and build a relationship with them. Last thing you want is someone you don't trust to grenade an engine because they are a **** tuner (and the type likely to blame any failure on the engine and related parts and not his "tune")
Old 09-29-2015, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I don't recommend it. I'd simply just stop driving the car until the proper equipment arrives. You won't see "shiny ball-bearings" from just inside the oil inlet. Simply because it has water lines, doesn't automatically mean its a ball-bearing turbocharger.
Yea I know some are ball bearing some are journal I'm pretty sure mine isn't ball bearing. I have already put 1400 miles on the car and like I said I'm having it retuned tomorrow and giving him one more chance. If it's not what I want I'll have the other shop street tune it and fix all the quirks from the dyno tune. So if it's been ok thus far oil feed wise wouldn't you say it's probley alright until I can get a new flange? The kid before me had it straight fed id say atleast .150 - .200 thousandths hole.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If you want to blow out your seals or starve your seals, use improper fittings. If you want the turbo to last, use the proper fitting.

I'd say a dyno tune augments a street tune. You need both. Buddy had a dyno tune, went out racing, and all of a sudden he's super rich. You know why? They didn't tune heat soak on the dyno. Street tune to the rescue.

Dude could have picked up faster times just by street tuning boost by gear, which involves no air fuel or ignition adjustments whatsoever. Maybe he got stickier tires, and upped boost in 3rd gear or somethin.

Just saying. Without a full picture, we're all ASSuming

Quick Reply: Lowest whp turbo b16 in the country