Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Lowest whp turbo b16 in the country (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/lowest-whp-turbo-b16-country-3258060/)

Kevin Campbell 09-06-2015 07:16 AM

Lowest whp turbo b16 in the country

I spent 8 months saving up for my turbo setup and learned a lot along the way from this site. I put my kit on last weekend and drove it to the tuner about a hour away staying well in vacuum on stock injectors and stock obd2b ecu. When I got there we put in the Bosch 550s i was told would work on b series, I ended up having to turn them down to fit in the fuel rail. The injectors were brand new but purchased about 6 months ago and two didn't spray right causing a bad misfire on 1&3. So unfortunately I had to dyno tune on stock injectors and 3 psi but my car only made 133whp. Compression test was done the day I left for the dyno and was between 200-205. I understand 3psi isn't crap and my stock injectors started to lean out around 8k in 3rd but shouldn't it have been able to make atleast 170whp? The kid that was a tech there said it didn't seem right and I should have made close to 200 even on stock injectors so Is there something I'm missing that I should check for?

wantboost 09-06-2015 04:16 PM

Re: Lowest whp turbo b16 in the country

No. The stock injectors are like 190cc. They won't support much of anything beyond stock power. Why do you think the all motor guys move up to 330cc injectors?

wantboost 09-06-2015 04:19 PM

Although it was a waste of money to tune on stock injectors. Unless your tuner isn't going to charge you once you get your injector problem solved.

You should have just pulled the wastegate spring and/or pulled a charge pipe and left it alone.

Kevin Campbell 09-15-2015 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by wantboost (Post 50519403)
Although it was a waste of money to tune on stock injectors. Unless your tuner isn't going to charge you once you get your injector problem solved.

You should have just pulled the wastegate spring and/or pulled a charge pipe and left it alone.

I paid $279 for the tune and he said he would do $150 retune when I get injectors. If you pull the spring or remove a charge pipe you can over spin the turbo and cause damage.

Dark_Teg 09-15-2015 10:52 AM

Your stock injectors are 240cc and should have made 200 easy.

OneBadTurboCRV 09-15-2015 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Campbell (Post 50532121)
If you pull the spring or remove a charge pipe you can over spin the turbo and cause damage.

:ugh:

:wack:
:BS:
:plunge:

You can do it all day long if you have some sense. The over speed condition happens when something like a couple flies off under acceleration and boost.

TheShodan 09-15-2015 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Campbell (Post 50532121)
If you pull the spring or remove a charge pipe you can over spin the turbo and cause damage.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1820a3c974.gif

B and B 09-15-2015 02:07 PM

Yeah, man..you should've just cancelled at the injector bummer point and waited.
Is the tuner competent? Maybe you could learn basics and do just as well by tuning yourself.
I wonder what you actually got for $279?
You mentioned a stock ECU...what did u "tune" on?
What engine management system?

wantboost 09-15-2015 03:14 PM

I didn't even see the OBD2 ecu part lol. Yea you can't modify the programming of an OBD2 Honda in any way, shape, or form. Sounds like you got taken.

B and B 09-15-2015 04:09 PM

I assumed it was just for the transit, since he was prepared to swap injectors, probly had another ECU, also.
Not trying to flame the guy, I honestly was just curious.
Bummer how shit turned out.

wantboost 09-15-2015 04:18 PM

Just please tell me you don't have an SAFC and that you really didn't pay someone to push a few buttons...

Schister66 09-16-2015 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by B and B (Post 50532705)
I assumed it was just for the transit, since he was prepared to swap injectors, probly had another ECU, also.

This was my assumption as well. I'm interested to hear what the OP has to say...

Did you tune on OBD2?? Hopefully with a Missing Link and FMU :P

Kevin Campbell 09-16-2015 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Schister66 (Post 50533600)
This was my assumption as well. I'm interested to hear what the OP has to say...

Did you tune on OBD2?? Hopefully with a Missing Link and FMU :P

Tuned on chrome. I have a chipped p28 I just drove to the tuner on stock ecu. And I couldn't just cancel the appointment. He made about 9 pulls on the dyno and said it was a safe tune. The other tech helping him was a Honda guy and said it shoulda made 200whp as well which is what I expected. The tuner has a good reputation around Raleigh area. You said take the spring out or unhook from throttle body. If it's unhooked how does the wastegate know when to open the spring if there is no pressure being built in the charge pipe? ivd had a few people tell me it will ruin the turbo and I have a turbonetics not some cheap eBay turbo so I'm not taking that chAnce

wantboost 09-16-2015 08:45 AM

The wastegate doesn't have to open if a charge pipe is disconnected because there's no pressure being generated. There isn't enough exhaust energy/pre turbine backpressure being generated to cause excess shaft speeds. The turbo will just sort of mildly freewheel.

I work with turbochargers for a living. Trust me.

OneBadTurboCRV 09-16-2015 08:57 AM

Hey, give him credit, it might actually ruin a Turbonetics turbo... :lmao:

If that one blows up, he might not be able to afford a real turbo to replace his cheap one.

TheShodan 09-16-2015 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by wantboost (Post 50533761)
The wastegate doesn't have to open if a charge pipe is disconnected because there's no pressure being generated. There isn't enough exhaust energy/pre turbine backpressure being generated to cause excess shaft speeds. The turbo will just sort of mildly freewheel.

Correct. The only time that compressor wheel "overspeed" is an issue is if the compressor wheel was already at a very high rotational speed from positive pressure (say 25psi or so), and it experiences a sudden loss of pressurization, from say, a coupler blowing loose during the time the compressor wheel reaches that high rotational speed.

It does not occur simply because an intercooler pipe is loose, or if the wastegate spring is out. What that means is that since the turbo system is not pressurizing (since you disconnected a pipe from the system, then the compressor wheel can't reach positive boost... AT ALL. Which means you can't overspeed the compressor wheel, because you'll only spin the the turbo to a point where it reaches 0 vacuum.

The point of ALL OF THIS is to say, that you WANT to be at zero vacuum so that the injectors can fire as though the car is still NA and you can get to the tuner safely.

We're laughing a bit because you're going by conjecture and what your "brother's sister's cousin's boy" is saying as fact. It's not. In fact, if you look at the logic of how a turbocharger actually functions, you'll see for yourself that your argument is flawed.

Kevin Campbell 09-16-2015 09:03 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...a50a663905.jpg

Originally Posted by wantboost (Post 50533761)

Can you help identify this turbo? I brought it in my machine shop when I bought it but couldn't get the exhaust side to break loose to measure the wheels correctly.
I do know that it's 57 cold 50 hot

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...b60aa602f8.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...01cb594819.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...f3fd350808.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...67f1932e71.jpg

Kevin Campbell 09-16-2015 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV (Post 50533788)
Hey, give him credit, it might actually ruin a Turbonetics turbo... :lmao:

If that one blows up, he might not be able to afford a real turbo to replace his cheap one.

It's better then a Godspeed and I'm sorry it's not a $2500 precision turbo but you can hate all you want, I work hard for what I can afford with 2 toddlers, a stay at home wife and a house. Half of you live rent free at mommy and daddy's and think your the shit with your expensive cars and builds but don't know what it's like to struggle and appreciate the things you do have.

Geis 09-16-2015 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Campbell (Post 50533808)
It's better then a Godspeed and I'm sorry it's not a $2500 precision turbo but you can hate all you want, I work hard for what I can afford with 2 toddlers, a stay at home wife and a house. Half of you live rent free at mommy and daddy's and think your the shit with your expensive cars and builds but don't know what it's like to struggle and appreciate the things you do have.

Hey man, the dipshit....uhhh I mean guy....you're responding to is raising a few deadbeats....children, yes that's what I meant, himself.
Most people here with legit builds are living on their own and many of them have families.
Get your shitty ricer stereotypes out of your head or nobody here will respect you enough to help you if you're going to be a little bitch.

OneBadTurboCRV 09-16-2015 01:37 PM

Aww poor baby. Then don't modify your car if you can't actually afford to. It's really that simple; if you haven't figure out that much in life, then you are off to a bad start if you have kids.

Precision???? :lmao:

:door:

PS - I have a wife, four kids, house, dog, cat, and a few lame cars. So should I cry too? :cry: :hugs: Just yanking your chain man, simmer down and show some maturity. It will get you a lot farther here.

theYBLEGAL 09-16-2015 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Campbell (Post 50533808)
Half of you live rent free at mommy and daddy's and think your the shit with your expensive cars and builds but don't know what it's like to struggle and appreciate the things you do have.

Like, maybe 10 years ago. The forum has grown older.

TheShodan 09-16-2015 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by theYBLEGAL (Post 50534537)
Like, maybe 10 years ago. The forum has grown older.

I wouldn't go that far. :cry:

VegaS10 09-17-2015 09:28 AM

What shop in NC is doing this "work"?

I am a few miles south of you if you're in Wake county and can give you some solid recommendations for a tuner.

wantboost 09-17-2015 10:00 AM

As far as identifying which Turbonetics model it is there should be a tag on the compressor backplate with a part number, you can contact Turbonetics and they can help you.

If the tag has fallen off the only way is to measure both wheels.

B and B 09-17-2015 06:11 PM

Some of ya'll did dog the new man pretty fast, though.
Don't have to ridicule the motherfucker just 'cause he lacks turbo knowledge and didn't buy the top shit, damn.
He's trying to have fun doing what he can do and learn.

I'm not so knowledgeable myself, but at this point, I'm just curious as to what happened, so....a couple more questions/comments if I may?

Did you "turn down" the 550 injectors earlier or at the tuners place?
How was that done, exactly?
I wonder if that process screwed up the pintles or something?
What brand were they, btw?

What kind of dyno was this?

That's lower than stock HP for a B16 isn't it?

Some weird shit happened at that place, who knows what.

Hey, get rid of that Spectre air filter or whatever when u can, and get a K&N.
Those sometimes come apart and pieces get ingested by the turbo.
And get some studs for attaching the turbo to mani. so you can lose those stacks of washers and make it look better at least.
They even have 'em at Autozone.
And no rtv at the downpipe flange, it's just gonna cook.

...page 2 ownage