Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.

 
Old 05-28-2019, 04:39 AM
  #1  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.

Hey guys i recently got my new gsr css block running and i noticed an issue with my oil pressure. Ive been researching before i take the engine apart. Oil pressure is in the 30s at cold idle then sits around 17psi at warm up.. after driving for a while it drops as low as 4 psi. If this matters i have a digital oil pressure guage from amazon. I have oil squirter block offs and a moroso oil pan ..stock gsr oil pump.. currently 5 quartz of 10w30 full synthetic. I have the oil sending unit in a T with the oil feed line. Oil pressure rises normally during driving. 4-5k rpm i see 55-60 psi. Any suggestions will help. Thank you.
Excusetobooost is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 05:17 AM
  #2  
DaX
Honda-Tech Member
iTrader: (1)
 
DaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,644
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.

Do you know what your bearing clearances are? Larger clearances require thicker oil. I started out with 5w30 oil and was having similar low pressure issues at idle. I'm now using 10w30 and it's a little better, but on a hot day at idle I may see around 8 psi, and I've got my gauge set to show a warning below 10 psi. On the next oil change I may try some 15w40 or even 20w50 oil. Some people here are against sending unit style oil pressure gauges, but I am kind of doubting that's the problem for my car. I'm curious to hear what others are thinking.
DaX is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 05:40 AM
  #3  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.

Originally Posted by DaX View Post
Do you know what your bearing clearances are? Larger clearances require thicker oil. I started out with 5w30 oil and was having similar low pressure issues at idle. I'm now using 10w30 and it's a little better, but on a hot day at idle I may see around 8 psi, and I've got my gauge set to show a warning below 10 psi. On the next oil change I may try some 15w40 or even 20w50 oil. Some people here are against sending unit style oil pressure gauges, but I am kind of doubting that's the problem for my car. I'm curious to hear what others are thinking.
q
Im not sure what the bearing clearance is but the bearings were changed a second time by the machine shop because they were originally too tight. I have the number written down somewhere of the exact bearing clearance. I will try a thicker oil and see if that helps.. ive only driven the car 13 miles with this issue. Ill also put back the original oil pressure sensor.
Excusetobooost is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 06:57 AM
  #4  
DaX
Honda-Tech Member
iTrader: (1)
 
DaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,644
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.

For comparison, I'm running a CSS D16Z6, and my clearances were 0.0015 - 0.0017 inch, if I recall correctly. I'm using an AutoMeter SpekPro oil pressure gauge with sending unit. I just changed to a new OEM oil pump, not ported or shimmed. I see as high as 80+ psi on the first startup in the morning, but after giving the car time to fully warm up, my cruising oil pressure is ~40 psi. With AC blasting at idle, most of the time it settles around 10-12 psi at idle (maybe 900-1,000 RPM), but sometimes the idle dips with all that electrical load and I'll see somewhere down around 8 psi.
DaX is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 08:43 AM
  #5  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.


Originally Posted by DaX View Post
For comparison, I'm running a CSS D16Z6, and my clearances were 0.0015 - 0.0017 inch, if I recall correctly. I'm using an AutoMeter SpekPro oil pressure gauge with sending unit. I just changed to a new OEM oil pump, not ported or shimmed. I see as high as 80+ psi on the first startup in the morning, but after giving the car time to fully warm up, my cruising oil pressure is ~40 psi. With AC blasting at idle, most of the time it settles around 10-12 psi at idle (maybe 900-1,000 RPM), but sometimes the idle dips with all that electrical load and I'll see somewhere down around 8 psi.
Thanks, i see high 50s when its at cold idle. I attached a picture of the clearances maybe that will help trying to figure this out.
Excusetobooost is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 10:06 AM
  #6  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Txdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,100
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.

Thicker oil, bruh! .002, you should be running 15w40 at minimum..
Txdragon is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 10:14 AM
  #7  
DaX
Honda-Tech Member
iTrader: (1)
 
DaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,644
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.

^Agreed. I'd try some 15w40 or maybe even 20w50.
DaX is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 10:36 AM
  #8  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.

Originally Posted by DaX View Post
^Agreed. I'd try some 15w40 or maybe even 20w50.
Thanks guys. My local store has valvoline 20w50... The 15W40 says it is for diesel engines rotella
Excusetobooost is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 11:17 AM
  #9  
Honda-Tech Member
 
maxwellmercer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: LoadedForBear,IL
Posts: 2,105
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.

Rotella diesel 15W40 is perfectly fine to use.
maxwellmercer is online now  
Old 05-28-2019, 12:30 PM
  #10  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 23,357
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.

Originally Posted by maxwellmercer View Post
Rotella diesel 15W40 is perfectly fine to use.
Mainly for E85. the valvoline should have a nice zinc content for that weight.
TheShodan is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 03:03 PM
  #11  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.

Originally Posted by maxwellmercer View Post
Rotella diesel 15W40 is perfectly fine to use.
Thanks i was not sure at the moment so I went with the valvoline vr1 20W50 now it idles between 7-8psi instead of 4.. so there is some improvement. The weather is really hot currently.
Excusetobooost is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 03:21 PM
  #12  
Honda-Tech Member
 
turboLScrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bowling Green, ky, USA
Posts: 762
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.

Iím @ .0025 on my mains , but I ported my oil pump and I shimmed it and I run 10w-30 with 20psi at full temp idle. It almost sounds like your mains are bigger than what was listed, I agree that a thicker oil should resolve the issue
turboLScrx is offline  
Old 05-29-2019, 06:53 AM
  #13  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.

Originally Posted by turboLScrx View Post
Iím @ .0025 on my mains , but I ported my oil pump and I shimmed it and I run 10w-30 with 20psi at full temp idle. It almost sounds like your mains are bigger than what was listed, I agree that a thicker oil should resolve the issue
Is it normal for the car to start sluggish with the thicker oil? After the 20W50 it like hesitates to idle but after it warms everything is normal. Im thinking of switch down to the 15W40.
Excusetobooost is offline  
Old 05-29-2019, 01:35 PM
  #14  
Honda-Tech Member
 
turboLScrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bowling Green, ky, USA
Posts: 762
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.

Originally Posted by Excusetobooost View Post
Is it normal for the car to start sluggish with the thicker oil? After the 20W50 it like hesitates to idle but after it warms everything is normal. Im thinking of switch down to the 15W40.
I think 20-50 is too think. We part of the country are you?
turboLScrx is offline  
Old 05-29-2019, 01:56 PM
  #15  
Honda-Tech Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.

Hook up a real pressure gauge and test it. I had an eBay gauge that always read low, so I swapped it out to a ProSport gauge. Then after a couple weeks that gauge started reading low. I hooked a Harbor Freight tester up and my oil pressure was fine. Digital gauges seem to be junk, I've been through 3 with no luck. Thinking of getting one and just mounting it on the hood so I don't have to run an oil line into the cabin
MastaFlyMason is online now  
Old 05-29-2019, 02:02 PM
  #16  
Honda-Tech Member
 
turboLScrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bowling Green, ky, USA
Posts: 762
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.

Originally Posted by MastaFlyMason View Post
Hook up a real pressure gauge and test it. I had an eBay gauge that always read low, so I swapped it out to a ProSport gauge. Then after a couple weeks that gauge started reading low. I hooked a Harbor Freight tester up and my oil pressure was fine. Digital gauges seem to be junk, I've been through 3 with no luck. Thinking of getting one and just mounting it on the hood so I don't have to run an oil line into the cabin
I agree. I only use mechanical gauges
turboLScrx is offline  
Old 05-29-2019, 03:07 PM
  #17  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.

Originally Posted by turboLScrx View Post
I think 20-50 is too think. We part of the country are you?
I live in Philadelphia. I the pressure test gauge is a good idea..ill try that.
Excusetobooost is offline  
Old 05-29-2019, 04:24 PM
  #18  
Honda-Tech Member
 
turboLScrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bowling Green, ky, USA
Posts: 762
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.

Originally Posted by Excusetobooost View Post
I live in Philadelphia. I the pressure test gauge is a good idea..ill try that.
20-50 is most used is very hot environments

Last edited by turboLScrx; 05-29-2019 at 06:59 PM.
turboLScrx is offline  
Old 05-31-2019, 06:58 AM
  #19  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low idle oil pressure. Normal when driving.

I changed to the rotella and put the stock oil pressure sensor back in and have not had any issues. This week i will get the test gauge and check out the actual oil pressure. Thanks guys for all the info i will post an update.
Excusetobooost is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: