Notices

low boost higher compression !!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low boost higher compression !!?!

hey guys

i have a b16 and i want to run a itr head and pistons and about 8psi. I want to run this for the track so i have the benifits of a itr set up for cornering but a little bit of punch for the straights. i know tuning will be a big thing for this set up.

anyone know if high compression low boost will work well or just a bad idea?
Old 01-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: low boost higher compression !!?! (nitekidsef9)

its not a bad idea. butt you will shelling out $$$ on the correct engine management. ok a b16 on itr pistons? so basically a b18c5?

i have no FI experiance personally, but since you arent getting a reply, i will id also say 8 spi would be max @ 11:1 and stock internals
Old 01-07-2004, 03:55 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nitekidsef9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey guys

i have a b16 and i want to run a itr head and pistons and about 8psi. I want to run this for the track so i have the benifits of a itr set up for cornering but a little bit of punch for the straights. i know tuning will be a big thing for this set up.

anyone know if high compression low boost will work well or just a bad idea?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do yourself a favor and drop the compression or say hello to DETONATION....hate for you to blow up some good Honda equipment.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: low boost higher compression !!?! (NVturbo)

Wow ok i dint think id get this good of a reply........heres the plan

b16 first gen running off a p28 with old school stage 4 hondata with boost
itr head with int man t/b
spoon balanced itr pistons std bore
small t3 sized with log style man

forgot to mention its already obd1
what do you think?
Old 01-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Screw you guys, I'm... going... home.

What exactly do you mean by *high* compression? Give us a number to work with.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nitekidsef9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a b16 and i want to run a itr head and pistons</TD></TR></TABLE>

Save your money, get your B16 head reworked and run a JG IM. The B16 and ITR head are the exact same PR3 casting, the only difference between the 2 is the fact that the ITR head has been SLIGHTLY reworked, lightly debured bowls, slightly lighter intake valves and slightly different LMA's and upgraded valvetrain. Buying a stock ITR head is a big waste of money IMO. I do like the ITR cams though, they work pretty damn good in boosted motors.

As for the pistons, going with ITR pistons will actually drop compression in a B16 motor to 9.7:1. Id stick with the stock B16 pistons, the turbo is going to like the 10.2:1 compression a little better. Quicker spool times and more HP per PSI. just make sure you get it tuned and youll be fine. Keep the boost levels to 12 PSI and under, get it tuned and have fun.

Old 01-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: low boost higher compression !!?! (Altered)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Altered &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Save your money, get your B16 head reworked and run a JG IM. The B16 and ITR head are the exact same PR3 casting, the only difference between the 2 is the fact that the ITR head has been SLIGHTLY reworked, lightly debured bowls, slightly lighter intake valves and slightly different LMA's and upgraded valvetrain. Buying a stock ITR head is a big waste of money IMO. I do like the ITR cams though, they work pretty damn good in boosted motors.

As for the pistons, going with ITR pistons will actually drop compression in a B16 motor to 9.7:1. Id stick with the stock B16 pistons, the turbo is going to like the 10.2:1 compression a little better. Quicker spool times and more HP per PSI. just make sure you get it tuned and youll be fine. Keep the boost levels to 12 PSI and under, get it tuned and have fun.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks. reson i want the itr head is i have 1st gen Vtec and they are better valve springs and whatnot. plus i work at the dealer so its pretty cheap.

good info
Old 01-08-2004, 03:01 PM

Default Re: low boost higher compression !!?! (Altered)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Altered &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Buying a stock ITR head is a big waste of money IMO. I do like the ITR cams though, they work pretty damn good in boosted motors.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, i remember when ppl on here said ITR cams weren't as good as GSR cams. I guess that all changed when that one guy posted his great success on the ITR cam