Notices

High Comp Piston Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Compression Piston Question****

i know you cant use high compression pistons with turbo..but is it the same with superchargers?..my b16 currently has itr pistons..i'd much rather FI than do an all motor on this b16...can i keep my itr pistons and SC..or is SC off limits just as TC is?...i only ask because i know they boost differently...

and if i cant..whar are good low compression pistons i can use safely for a turbo set up..i also have GSR cams..i know imma have to get rid of these and put some turbo friendly cams in..any recomendations?..

newb question..because i have ITR pistons..this DOES mean that my b16 is now a 1.8 right...i bought the car like this...i didnt build this motor thats why im asking..so to itr pistons mean its bored out to an 86?... ..if so..the recomendation for low compression pistons would apply to this size ...any help would be appreciated..

thanks
Old 09-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High Compression Piston Question**** (Siberian Husky)

?
Old 09-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

someone knows this...
Old 09-22-2005, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the pistons go I would say that you can still turbo them but your tunning better be fklawless and as far as the 86mm bore goes if that is true then i wouldnt boost it because the sleeves would be thin and then high compression pistons on top of that would make for a disaster.The gsr cams that you have are a great cam for turbo and are highly recommended on h-t for an oem cam to turbo
Old 09-22-2005, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From what I understand (and thats very little) all b-series pistons are interchangable. Its not the bore that changes with the engines its the rod length and stroke that change. If you want to calculate your comp ratio check here:
http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/cr-calculator.htm
or here:
http://www.zealautowerks.com/

I was reading a thread where a very knowledgable person was saying that a sc works better with higher comp (how much higher I have no idea) than turbochargers do. You'll have to take a look around and figure that one out for yourself, cause I don't remember where I was reading that. Try the faq at the top of the first page in the forum. You will be able to find most of the entry level answers in there. LOTS of good info. GL.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High Compression Piston Question**** (siblues)

i'd rather not turbo it..im a newb..and my tuning probably wont be "flawless"..but that doesnt my answer about the itr pistons and how they got in my b16..boring or stroking..is there a way i could tell which was done?..also..what are good low compression pistons

Edit: i posted that not knowing keyser already answered..thanx bro i think that counts for teh 2nd time u helped me out...i'll check the links out

Modified by Siberian Husky at 12:38 AM 9/23/2005
Old 09-22-2005, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well like Keysersoze said if they are oem itr pistons I also believe that all b series pistons are interchangeable and as far as good pistons to use I would say that cp is the favorite around here .I personally am using wiseco customs but all the well known manufacturers make good pistons to use and as far as compression goes I am not to informed on supercharging so I dont really know what compression to use but on a turbo car 9.1 is the common compression and sometimes even lower
Old 09-22-2005, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High Compression Piston Question**** (siblues)

if i can supercharge my care safely i'd greatly just go JRSC and keep these beautiful itr pistons..after using this compression calculator..im about 9.8 compression...how many layers of headgaskets do b16a's come with stock?
Old 09-23-2005, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if i get a 3 layer headgasket i can keep my compression significantly under 10..9.8...9.6 if done right...is that ratio safe to run a JRSC on my b16a?
Old 09-23-2005, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your comp is 9.8:1 you can still turbo, you just won't be able to boost as much and add as much timing as you would be able to with lower comp. GL.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High Compression Piston Question**** (KeyserSoze)

if i'd go turbo i'd only do like 8 lbs max..i know average around here is about 10...im not plannin on takin it to races..or even racing on the street..just wanna make my gf's head smack up against the headrest every so often lol...

3 layer gaskets...what else can i do to lower compression without sacrificing my itr pistons?...what cam gears would i need to keep it cool with the extra layers on there?..i have gsr cams right now..

also..random question..because im goin to the dealership for a part tomorrow..hondas dont use hydro. lifters..what do they use?...i need one replaced one on my 4th cylinder says my mechanic..but imma do a solid valve adjustment and replace whatever "lifter" could be tapping as last resort cause labor is a bitch....goodnight
Old 09-23-2005, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Siberian Husky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3 layer gaskets...what else can i do to lower compression without sacrificing my itr pistons?...what cam gears would i need to keep it cool with the extra layers on there?..i have gsr cams right now..

also..random question..because im goin to the dealership for a part tomorrow..hondas dont use hydro. lifters..what do they use?...i need one replaced one on my 4th cylinder says my mechanic..but imma do a solid valve adjustment and replace whatever "lifter" could be tapping as last resort cause labor is a bitch....goodnight</TD></TR></TABLE>

OEM headgaskets are already 3 layer.......they are .030" thick, for every .040" you add on top of this you comp will lower by ~1cr. But just use an oem one and boost less. You can boost 10psi with that comp, you just need to make sure that you get a good tuner.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High Compression Piston Question**** (KeyserSoze)

so your sayin i should add another .40 onto my already .30..making my gasket gap atotal 7.0?
Old 09-23-2005, 05:58 AM

i believe he's suggesting that you just use an OEM gasket, not two of them. As for if it's going to be safe to SC your car with ITR pistons i don't see why it wouldn't it's not that you can't SC a high compression motor it's just that there's less room for error. running about 9-10lbs on a b16 with a SC shoudn't be a tall order to fill but you can't skimp on gettin a proper tune to keep things in a safe working order, if you just slap a SC on and don't take it to a knowledgeable tuner not only will you be robbing yourself of the cars full potential but you'll probably end up way off with you're A/F ratio's and whatnot that could cause the detonation that you're so worried about and in turn send your motor to honda heaven. so long story short i say you're ok with the setup you have now (and actually GSR cams are pretty good mild street cams for FI) just get it tuned properly. oh and the pistons didn't change the the b16 from a 1.6L to a 1.8L it's gonna be the rod length/stroke/cylinder size and unless you have a LS crank or some kind of stroker kit i'm pretty sure you're still at 1.6L