Notices

Looking for some advice please

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some advice please

Ive been researching for about a week now, and i still am at about the same point as i started with. heres my question: Since i live in the middle of no where, and the only place i know of that tunes, is 10 hours one way, i have been looking at the JRSC High Boost system http://www.supercharger.com/Sh...38962 which comes with Hondata S300, and a basemap set up for up to 12 lbs of boost. I like the nice flat tq curve on this setup. but im not to sure about the power. Im looking for something in around 250-300 hp on a stock JDM B16. i know pushing those kinds of boost numbers with the super, will have high intake temps, so i was also looking getting the LHT innercooler. my other option would be to build or buy a turbo setup. i would like to keep my AC and powersteering since its my daily. The only problem with this setup, is i would have to still purchas a tunable ecm, and either run with just a basemap and a street tune (which i, or anyone i know has no experience doing) or run a hack unit like in the turbonetics kit. i just need some help figuring out which would be the better road to travel down?

As far as price it seems to come out in a wash when i start running numbers, turbo may be a little more expensive due to the traveling expense. like i said, nearly stock B16A, want to keep AC, power steering, and as much of the original equipment as possible, any insight would be appriciated.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Looking for some advice please (Frickr)

yes i know the turbo will get those numbers easier. but givin my current situation with no tuning available in my area without having to drive 2 states over, what would be the better choice for my goals? or am i even asking the right questions and looking in the right dirrection? like i said any help would be nice.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking for some advice please (Frickr)

Dude you are in a pickle! Either drive way the hell out or settle for an SC with a pre-tune...Aaahhhh, gotta be frustrating. Looking at your situation, I'd say go with the SC/Hondata package but the car with that dyno graph was fine tuned by someone anyway. Either way, the best way to get the best/reliable performance is by tuning. Comes down to what you really want and how much are you willing to pay or do. Good luck man!
Old 03-26-2008, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Looking for some advice please (Evilparadize)

yeah i know im in a hard spot... i cant really see what out weights the other as far as deciding which road to go down. both are going to be expensive, the turbo sounds better (to me) but requires me to drive acrost 2 states, on the other hand the super comes with a good basemap, and is more "complete" as a kit, but has temp problems...
Old 03-26-2008, 02:24 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Looking for some advice please (Evilparadize)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evilparadize &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude you are in a pickle! Either drive way the hell out or settle for an SC with a pre-tune...Aaahhhh, gotta be frustrating. Looking at your situation, I'd say go with the SC/Hondata package but the car with that dyno graph was fine tuned by someone anyway. Either way, the best way to get the best/reliable performance is by tuning. Comes down to what you really want and how much are you willing to pay or do. Good luck man!</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is very true. I did notice that you said that the JRSC setup comes once again with a BASEMAP. That type of tune is to GET YOU to the dyno, and not to drive around on a regular basis. We had someone drive 12 hours to our neck of the woods from Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. He wanted the power, so he got on his "horse" and got tuned. That was over 2 years ago, and hasn't been happier. As Evilparadize said, its up to you..
Old 03-26-2008, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Looking for some advice please (TheShodan)

http://www.supercharger.com/Sh...41633

from this, it says that the Ems comes tuned up to 12 lbs. right from Hondata. they have changed the redline, and vtec, and also adjusted the fuel and ignition timing for the setup. now its a general map, and can be fine tuned by a dealer and a dyno, would i really "need" to get this setup tuned?? i know to get the most power, the answer is yes, but 20 hours of driving doesnt excite me much....
Old 03-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know where Hettinger is in comparison to Fargo, but if you can get a basemap for your turbo or supercharger setup, you could make it to Consumate Tuning in Minneapolis, MN. I live in Fargo and have to make the 3.5hr hike there almost yearly
Old 03-26-2008, 02:42 PM

Default Re: (Schister66)

im south of dickinson, so its a long hike from my neck of the woods. fargos 5 hours away from me, i guess i just feel like im in between a rock and a hardspot right now, and just need to figure out which would be the more cost effective setup. its 600 miles to Minn. from here.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...that does suck. My only suggest would still be to get a chipped ECU with a basemap, then tough it out and drive to Minneapolis
Old 04-07-2008, 06:34 PM

Default Re: (Schister66)

how long can i get with a tune?