Notices

Looking for FI ideas for a fun, street-driven 300whp EM1

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for FI ideas for a fun, street-driven 300whp EM1

My 99 EM1 with 190K miles has finally been retired from daily driver duty. I've had a reputable mechanic who I've been going to for a long time go over the motor and he is confident that it will be able to handle boost. My goal is in to have a fun, reliable, street-driven car with somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 whp. I don't mind losing the A/C if need be.

I've been reading alot online and with all the variety of applications and the sky being the limit, things are starting to run together. I'm looking for ideas for my specific application and am hoping some of you can help me out.

The slate is clean and time is not important. Family is first, as long as they stay outta the garage : ) If it takes a few years for me to complete that's fine. I want to do it right and want to get a blueprint in place before starting.

Here are some of the questions I have:

Is 300 whp on a b16a2 with stock internals safe/realistic?

What fuel management options are out there that will retain all of the necessary components to pass emissions? From what I read about Hondata, it requires a switch to OBD1.

And of course, what should my parts list consist of to reach my goal?

Thanks in advance. I realize that there is a ton of information out there, but that seems to be working against me right now- too much information!
Old 12-07-2009, 05:30 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Looking for FI ideas for a fun, street-driven 300whp EM1

Then you need to sort it out a bit. your questions are way too vague for people to answer in a concise manner. Did you check the FAQs at the top of the forum? All of those questions are broken down into several areas in that link alone.

Get your good glasses on, and start reading.. good luck.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:55 PM

I have gone through the FAQ several times, and to me, its like falling into a black hole of information. You get one person who swears by one thing, and 10 people who think differently. Guess I'll have to go about this differently. Thanks
Old 12-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93_hatchie
I want to do it right

Is 300 whp on a b16a2 with stock internals safe/realistic?
It seems like these two statements should not be in the same post....
Old 12-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hemix
Why not? Hell my buddys stock b16 EM1 has been boosted for 6 years straight , getting abused everyday at 300whp
Old 12-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Make mine whatever you want

Sure it can. You can have a very functional efficient turbo setup, and consider a moderate power level that won't force you to take that extra step of building a motor. The problem is usually the desire for more power after you reach your initial "goal".

300whp is reasonable, but you really need to consider if you want that to be your stopping point. If you do, that's fine but do yourself a favor and pick a turbo that will be efficient at that power level (don't buy a large turbo to make small power).

At that given power, general NEEDED parts include:

- Injectors
- fuel pump (walbro 255)
- Consider fuel line change options
- Turbo of choice (GT28 for example)
- manifold (please try and support local vendors that sell quality parts!)
- wastegate
- intercooler/piping
- BOV
- Hondata/Crome
- downpipe/dumptube
- obviously all misc. gaskets etc.

These are the basics. I'm probably missing some stuff, I've had a couple drinks haha.

You have a lot of optional parts that will benefit you but aren't necessary. I usually don't take this much time doing stuff like this but I'm bored.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nothing wrong with 300whp safely and reliably on a stock b16. this is what i like to call a cookie cutter setup because its done time and time again.

to the OP, as far as EMS there is no adequate EMS that will pass inspection by itself, but switching out your tuned obd1 ecu to the stock ecu takes about 5 minutes. in addition to that you would need to switch back to your stock injectors, and back to stock map sensor if applicable. just make sure you dont go into boost, you can pull a charge pipe to ensure this(note that if you get on it the turbo will spin to the moon but the engine wont see boost so you still shouldnt get on it)

this is what most people end up doing or they just scan an ecu on another car with someone they know.

what you will need to reach your goals is to select a qualified tuner first and work with them on what EMS you would like to run on the car IE neptune, hondata, ectune, aem ems, etc. where do you live maybe someone here can suggest a qualified tuner?

as far as parts are concerned here is a list of the parts youll need to meet your goals:

aftermarket clutch - i use competition clutches and love them.
stock flywheel - likely need to be resurfaced
injectors - 550cc would be the minimum you should get for your application these support roughly 350whp, larger ones would be fine and allow for room to grow
map sensor - the stock one reads up to 11psi so if you want to run 9psi or more id suggest getting aftermarket so you give yourself room for a reasonable boost cut to protect the engine incase theres an issue
fuel pump - walbro 255 supports 500 whp safely.
exhaust - 3" exhaust would be ideal, 2.5" exhaust can get the job done though is you already have it
stock axles, stock ignition, stock motor from valve cover to oil pan. give that is has 190k miles make sure the timing belt isnt too old before you turbocharge it.

everything above is pretty standard among just about any 300whp turbo application. finally you have your turbo kit selection there are quite a few companies out there to choose from that offer a quality product. personally ive have ran 4 different synapse motorsport kits and been very happy with them(top mount, ramhorn kit, front mount t3 kit, and now a front mount divided t4 kit). id give them a call and im sure they can get you a quote for a kit depending on your specific needs and budget. they are a vendor here on HT.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep as everyones been saying. im at 280 whp on my em1. got a competition clutch and resurfaced flywheel . 525 injectors with a 255 fuel pump. im running a garrett t3/t4 57 trim, besides that, its all stock
Old 12-07-2009, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. This is the kind of info I'm looking for. 300 whp is definitely my goal - not 400 or 500. Timing belt/water pump were both changed less that 5000 miles ago.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

300whp can be achieved, make sure you put money into the head, it will help you achieve that goal a lot easier.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90blackcrx
300whp can be achieved, make sure you put money into the head, it will help you achieve that goal a lot easier.
nothing needs to be done to the head to meet 300whp...