Notices

a little help with spiral locks for pistons and file fitting rings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 09:39 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default a little help with spiral locks for pistons and file fitting rings?

I got floating wrist pins with spiral locks but I thought the locks would be the kind you can clip into place with needle pliers. They look like some sort of layered lock that I cant figure out. how do these things go in place??

also, what is the procedure for file fitting piston rings, yes, thats the kind I got...I didn't order them but that's what they gave me (for free so I'm going to use them).

I've got feeler gauges but dont know what type of file to use??

I assume you just push them down into the bore with a piston to get true flatness and measure and file until they fit right??
Old 02-21-2005, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: a little help with spiral locks for pistons and file fitting rings? (stackz)

They are called spirolocks. They are a bitch to install, but with patience, they will never fail you.

Here is a good article:

http://www.beckracing.com/page10.htm

You can use a regular flat file to file the rings. Basically you install them square and 1/2" down the bore, check the gap, remove them, file them, reinstall, repeat.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: a little help with spiral locks for pistons and file fitting rings? (stackz)

Here's a little help with the spiroloxs. http://www.jepistons.com/pdf/2002-srp-full.pdf .They make tools to "file" fit rings.But you can do it with a flat file.Sounds like a "how to hotrod..." book will help you a lot.Even one covering american v-8's engines will help with all the basics.
Glenn
Old 02-21-2005, 09:57 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: a little help with spiral locks for pistons and file fitting rings? (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They are called spirolocks. They are a bitch to install, but with patience, they will never fail you.

Here is a good article:

http://www.beckracing.com/page10.htm

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yay me, looks like fun. I can see myself slipping while installing them now and gouging my finger on the end of one of these things
Old 02-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are hard to get in, but they will stay when youget them in there