Notices

Limit HP to my current LS nonvtec??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limit HP to my current LS nonvtec??

Could I do anything to improve my Hp/tq? My goal is 350hp and 300tq. Could anyway I could achieve my goal? with little more upgrade. I was thinking of crower cam, but could that help? Vtec head cost alittle too much, but could that be done? I'm trying to limit my spending alittle up to 1000.

I heard of people add few gallons of 112octane gas to 93octanes and increase the boost. Is that safe? or it not good rought?

Curren setup.
84mm build bottom end.9.1 cc (sleeve,rod,piston etc..)
head is p&p dual spring, stock cam. (LS head).
turbo sc34 .63 ar with inline pro. 2.5dp, 3'' thermal exhaust.
Boost at 18psi 310hp@5500 275tq@5500. On pump gas 93 hondata.

Cam? add boost? vtec head?

Thanks for any reply H-T members..
Old 08-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Limit HP to my current LS nonvtec?? (Turbo-Honda)

a vtec head swap onto your car, would cost right around the 1000 mark, depending on where you find a head and ETC. are you able to do the head swap yourself? its not all that hard to do. just make sure you follow the Helms manual if its your first time. the vtec head would be better for the long run. and should give you a good 20+ hp gain right off the bat.

i wouldnt waste the money on upgrading the LS head, from what i can see, there isnt a whole lot of people interested in buying used LS heads or parts from them. i could be wrong on that though.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Limit HP to my current LS nonvtec?? (Turbo-Honda)

since you already have p&p and valvesprings, go get yourself a set of crower 42402-T turbo cams. i checked about a week ago and crower was having a sale on them, 355 bucks brand new. damn good deal imo. compliment that with an aftermarket intake manifold, like skunk2 or the better priced blox. i have seen dyno plots of people making around 20 hp per psi with this setup. also staying straight ls will help you keep that sick *** torque that these motors make.

oh yea, looking over your setup, i think you would benefit nicely from a 3" downpipe and if you dont need it for inspection (stupid ny state) then see if you can get a 3" testpipe instead of a cat.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:00 AM

Intake manifold is skunk2 right now. From both of your post. I think the cam and retune is the best way to add another 20+hp correct? Since the head already had some work done.

I"m running nothing in exhaust. Just 2.5''-3''thermal.
And for 3'' downpipe. Would that give me alot or any from 2.5''?
Old 08-11-2005, 12:01 PM
official honda whore

Default Re: (Turbo-Honda)

i would go for a bigger turbo imo, unless you love your powerband, an sc61 would be a good upgrade imo and get you more power per psi.... also with that you could get cams and still be under 1,000 imo, then getting it tuned would prob be the deal breaker as it would push you over the 1,000 dollar mark
Old 08-14-2005, 09:38 PM

Current turbo is good for my LS, so that out of the picture. What about full race vs inline pro manifold. Does equal lenght make any different?
Upgrade i'm going to go: Crower Turbo Cam, 3'' instead 2.5 downpipe, equal lenght full race instead of inline pro, bigger intercooler. Could these push me up for 50+hp??
Any more imput appreciated..
Old 08-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah id recommend a good cam. As somebody said above, crower makes a really nice turbo cam. Ive run a crower turbo cam in my dohc-nonvtec and it was wonderful. Made a huge improvement in topend power. All of a sudden the engine liked to breath up there where before it would fall on its face. With tuning its easily worth 20hp - it should also make power until 8500rpms where before im sure your car would start to drop off around 7000ish.

liam
Old 08-15-2005, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a p8r head that matches your 84mm bore for sale. i has new valve seals, crower springs and ret., and 3 angle valve job. i have never used it just had it assembled by a machine shop and changed my mind. with that cams and maybe an intake manifold i would say you'd be over your 350 goal and just under your $1000 limit. lmk if your interested and good luck
Old 08-15-2005, 07:07 AM
official honda whore

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-Honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Current turbo is good for my LS, so that out of the picture. What about full race vs inline pro manifold. Does equal lenght make any different?
Upgrade i'm going to go: Crower Turbo Cam, 3'' instead 2.5 downpipe, equal lenght full race instead of inline pro, bigger intercooler. Could these push me up for 50+hp??
Any more imput appreciated.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the sc34 is a very nice turbo, but your peak power is at 5500 rpm's, if you could upgrade a to a larger turbo with a cam to make power up higher i believe you will change your mind about a larger turbo, i am hoping to make the same power as you but at around one bar of boost with my ls, and i am goin to push around 20 safely on pump gas,

if you want the powerband you have now, your options for more power at your boost level are limited as your making about as much power with pump gas at that psi level with that turbo... sure a cam and an intake manifold will help, but why max out your setup when you can upgrade your turbo and cam and have a whole different beast with a little bit slower of spool up