Keeping AC with Turbo, B-series, EF/CRX

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Keeping AC with Turbo, B-series, EF/CRX

Seems simple enough, but I can only find a few examples of this having been done successfully.

In particular, there are these 2 cars/pics floating around from way back:

Name:  8fM7tK2.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  51.8 KB

Name:  DOClKBC.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  145.9 KB

Unfortunately there is not much as far as details. They both look to be pretty standard looking manifolds, so I would assume its business as usual running a T04E compressor and a tight bend 2.5" for the downpipe.
My main problem is that it looks like it would be way too tight with the radiator and condenser, especially with the fans.

Anybody have any experience and/or pics of this kind of setup?
I am not opposed to doing something unorthodox, either. Liquid intercooler, weird manifold, whatever it takes.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Keeping AC with Turbo, B-series, EF/CRX

Only some experience with those setups. I remember those setups from over 7-10 years ago.

1. Both manifold companies are now non-existent (especially the 1st photo, which based itself off of a GReddy cast exhaust manifold). They were specifically configured to fit very close to the cylinder head to allow for a tight bend to the a/c compressor.
2. the seond example didn't use a standard sized A/C compressor. I believe it was from an older Astin Mini aftermarket retrofit, with custom routed hard A/C lines, to account for the full sized radiator.
3. Those used T04B or TD05 (Mitsubishi) compressor covers and 5 bolt turbine housings to allow for that fitment. Not your "standard" T04E compressor cover.

So, yeah. CRX + Turbo + A/C = No bueno unless willing to seriously get custom.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats what I was afraid of. I read somewhere that the first pic was an inline pro manifold with a 35R, but its hard to tell from the photo if thats true. I just really cant imagine a 35R fitting between the block and radiator.

Im not afraid of getting custom, but Im mostly just worried about it being too difficult to work on. The AC compatible setups Ive done in the past have been pretty painful, so I was hoping there may be an unorthodox way to get around the issue. But short of putting the radiator in the trunk, Im not sure if it can be done.

This kind of setup crossed my mind, but Im not sure it would actually be very A/C compatible because of how the lines have to run, among other things

Old 04-13-2017, 11:45 AM

Ah, yes, the old Hytech Header systems. Yeah, they really wore the A/C compressors down due to exigent heat, had no room in a CRX for a reasonable radiator and on top of that, depending upon the size turbocharger used, made the entire system rather laggy. The 1st photo could be a GT35R, but they ground the HELL out of the block to get the compressor cover to fit like that.

Look, bottom line is this: If you wanna stay cool in driving, get another car to do it in, or drive the fun machine at night. Many people have done it, and will continue to do so. And yes, I'm well aware of many places in the U.S. and the globe that have "terrible summers".

Good luck to you sir.

Last edited by TheShodan; 11-12-2017 at 05:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-13-2017, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Running a slim "push" fan for the AC compressor would definitely help as opposed to the stock puller. Just put a heat shield between the condenser and the turbo/manifold.

But beyond that, as far as ACTUAL practicality or possibility goes, I really have no idea. You'd likely need to find another company that makes a VERY tight/small log manifold, and run a small frame turbo. May be possible a bit easier than you'd first think if you took some time to plan carefully, but it depends on what's available on the market. You could try contacting Greg from Go-Auto and see if it's possible, if anyone would know it'd be him...

Edit: Check this thread - https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...ef-ac-2978488/

If all else fails, I bet someone could fabricate a small log manifold that uses a Vband turbo flange that could be used with one of the small Tial housings.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:10 PM

In a CRX, a pusher on the condenser isn't gonna happen. Especially if turbocharged/intercooled.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
In a CRX, a pusher on the condenser isn't gonna happen. Especially if turbocharged/intercooled.
Do the CRX use a full length condenser?

I'm not nearly as familiar with details the CRX/EF chassis as EG/DC2/EK.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Do the CRX use a full length condenser?

I'm not nearly as familiar with details the CRX/EF chassis as EG/DC2/EK.
Not sure. Doubt if it will make much difference
Old 04-13-2017, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The EF/CRXs have a full length condensor and it sits way back, so you couldn't possibly tuck the radiator up in there. I'm not even sure if it's possible to have a FMIC with the AC condensor up in there.
I was already anticipating having to run a liquid to air intercooler or some other weirdness.

This is what my car looks like with a CRX specific half-rad, a full-race traction bar, and AC of course.

Name:  EvZx7BT.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  1.43 MB

It's very tight between the bell housing and radiator. I don't know how any compressor is going to fit in there.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Full_Tilt
The EF/CRXs have a full length condensor and it sits way back, so you couldn't possibly tuck the radiator up in there. I'm not even sure if it's possible to have a FMIC with the AC condensor up in there.
I was already anticipating having to run a liquid to air intercooler or some other weirdness.

This is what my car looks like with a CRX specific half-rad, a full-race traction bar, and AC of course.

It's very tight between the bell housing and radiator. I don't know how any compressor is going to fit in there.
Yeah... That's not happening, homie.

Get a nice daily with a/c. Even air-to-water makes it rough to do....
Old 04-13-2017, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a stock Coyote Mustang as a daily, but I like driving the CRX more lol
Old 04-13-2017, 06:50 PM

On a super hot day, it's not worth it. why have two cars, then?
Old 04-13-2017, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you just looking for more power output out of the CRX?

I'm not sure what running one of the old Jackson superchargers on those platforms is like, or if you'd even be able to get one completely installed and set up correctly (I see them for sale fairly often on eBay, but since they've been discontinued for some time I don't know if it'd be a smart idea trying to actually use one).

Definitely wouldn't compare to the output of even a small frame turbo, but coupled with some good NA mods it could get you some pretty good results.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.turboelements.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=63_99&product_id=219

he
makes a few ac/ps compatible just depends take a look

I don't have ac on my ef so idc lol he is making me a new manifold but some of the ac ones might work for you
Old 04-14-2017, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Are you just looking for more power output out of the CRX?

I'm not sure what running one of the old Jackson superchargers on those platforms is like, or if you'd even be able to get one completely installed and set up correctly (I see them for sale fairly often on eBay, but since they've been discontinued for some time I don't know if it'd be a smart idea trying to actually use one).

Definitely wouldn't compare to the output of even a small frame turbo, but coupled with some good NA mods it could get you some pretty good results.
I've done a lot as far as NA power mods. +8.3cc wiescos (~11:1), skunk2 stage 2 cams, ITR IM, megapower header, 3" velocity stack intake. It pulls pretty hard for a B16 but Im just used to turbo torque.
I may just have to build a B20 or GSR bottom end.

Originally Posted by ssmrico
Thanks for the link, Ill check it out.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yup if anything lmk he is local to me
Old 11-10-2017, 10:20 PM
Trial User

I'm trying to do this same thing. There's a company that sells a log manifold and they say with a bracket like the innovative one for ac compressor you can keep ac. Right now trying to build my lsv with cams, pistons and rods, css, and more and boost it but planning to keep ac. Trying to build the motor so it'll do most of the work/power and the turbo can assist it of course. At work I have the companies name on my desk I'm pretty sure so when I go on Monday I will try to add that here. I'm from South Florida so I'm tired of the heat and insurance is super high for a 22 year old with two cars in Miami. I also have a traction bar to hopefully help with some clearance and gunna buy slim fans on my full sized Griffin rad and try it. Hopefully I can get somewhere and have it all working fine. Windows down works great and all too at times but when it rains and fogs up its not fun driving down here lol idiots everywhere trying to wipe out y49s lmao