Notices

KA-Boom!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KA-Boom!!!

Well I ran with the turbo a day and a half and then my worst nightmares became reality. Everything appeared to be in great working condition and the newly added power felt very nice. I wasn't abusing the car, but I was getting on it a little. I shifted into third and about the time that VTEC kicks in I got a CEL and the rpm needle went to zero. I looked back and noticed what looked to be a thick cloud of black smoke. I immediately pulled the car over and looked under the hood. OIL EVERYWHERE!!! So much that I had a puddle under the car by this point. I happened to be in luck because I had a friend that had a D16 in his garage that we have already swapped back in. I would however like to know what the hell happened. Any ideas? What do you think I will come across once I begin to rip the motor apart? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: KA-Boom!!! (jdmsol)

How much boost were you running? Something like this...something that just happens in an instant, most likely isn't due to poor tuning, especially since you just put it on, right? Poor tuning is usually a gradual killer. It sounds like you may have had a momentary boost spike maybe...and put too much pressure on the engine...However, since you lost so much oil, you may have gone right ahead and cracked a cylinder sleeve, or spun a rod bearing...? Can you turn the car back on? If so, does it knock like CRAZY when you give it gas?
Old 11-03-2002, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did your feed tee/nipple break off or something?
Old 11-03-2002, 10:40 AM

Default Re: KA-Boom!!! (MatT3T4)

How much boost were you running? Something like this...something that just happens in an instant, most likely isn't due to poor tuning, especially since you just put it on, right? Poor tuning is usually a gradual killer. It sounds like you may have had a momentary boost spike maybe...and put too much pressure on the engine...However, since you lost so much oil, you may have gone right ahead and cracked a cylinder sleeve, or spun a rod bearing...? Can you turn the car back on? If so, does it knock like CRAZY when you give it gas?
As far as boost is concerned, I was running 10psi...and it really felt okay. I didn't notice anything on the boost or a/f gauge, but then again everything happened so fast. The car was able to start back up, but I immediately killed it because it sounded horrible plus the fact that it really didn't have much oil left. I just towed it back and we yanked that thing out. Haven't had the time to really start digging, but I expect to find all sorts of horrible things. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:40 AM

Well, having been in this situation before, it sounds like you threw something through your block like, say... A rod maybe. As far as why this happened, what kind of management are you using (fuel & timing). The reason I **** my engine was timing. 13psi on a D16Y8 with full timing = . I don't know what your planning on doing from this point on but may I suggest pistons & rods from Nathan
A.K.A TurboPanda
Old 11-03-2002, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: KA-Boom!!! (T-sohctec)

Sounded like ****? Like...a hard *** knocking...like there was someone with a set of drums in your engine bay, rocking out? Without being able to see it in person, I would say that you probably spun a rod bearing.

When was the last time you had checked your oil level? Rod bearings spin because of a lack of oil...either you didn't have enough oil, or something in your oil delivery system wasn't up to par maybe...
Old 11-03-2002, 10:55 AM

Sounded like ****? Like...a hard *** knocking...like there was someone with a set of drums in your engine bay, rocking out?
Exactly. The oil level was good because I had changed it the same day I finished the install. It wasn't due for one, but I figured I may as well since I was already in there.

Thanks so much for all of your advice and opinions...keep them coming please so that the reconstuctive process might be a little easier.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will put money on a thrown rod bearing...
Old 11-03-2002, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

aww man Im sorry to hear that....

( I gotta rip apart my motor and see what I did...
Old 11-03-2002, 11:35 AM

please give us a list of exactly what mods you have,size of turbo,fuel and timing.it would help with possably identifing the problem,plus it might save someone else the same problems.
Old 11-03-2002, 01:41 PM

Default Re: KA-Boom!!! (b18onboost)

No I'm not BSing. I have been working on the turbo setup for a little while now and now I could use a little help. If you can't help me then butt out because you don't know anything about me or my setup. Any and all INTELLIGENT posts are very welcome.
Old 11-03-2002, 03:56 PM

what fuel set-up/management were you using??
Old 11-03-2002, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just curious how you throw a rod bearing?.....You mean throw a rod or spin a bearing? Spinning a bearing only occurs when you lack enough oil presure at the crank,detonate enough to pit the bearing or are running on a high mile motor. What happened here was poor tuning and or to much boost. Alot of times the vacuum lines fall,melt or somehow come off the wastegate which results in catasrophic damage due to high boost, or you melted a piston from lack of fuel. Usually when ya melt the piston you rarely have a huge plume of black smoke behind ya. My vote is for the OVERBOOST. Opps thats gotta hurt.
Old 11-03-2002, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I ran with the turbo a day and a half and then my worst nightmares became reality. Everything appeared to be in great working condition and the newly added power felt very nice. I wasn't abusing the car, but I was getting on it a little. I shifted into third and about the time that VTEC kicks in I got a CEL and the rpm needle went to zero. I looked back and noticed what looked to be a thick cloud of black smoke. I immediately pulled the car over and looked under the hood. OIL EVERYWHERE!!! So much that I had a puddle under the car by this point. I happened to be in luck because I had a friend that had a D16 in his garage that we have already swapped back in. I would however like to know what the hell happened. Any ideas? What do you think I will come across once I begin to rip the motor apart? Thanks in advance.
Did you even check what code it threw??? Also even though you just changed the oil, you say that at the point where vtec kicked in is when it threw the code ? when vtec kicks in it is also demanding more oil... did you double check the oil send line for any kinks in it? Did you have an oil pressure gauge ?
Also you say you ran with the turbo a day and a half , and were pushing 10 psi ?? you didnt have any break in period ? You allready swapped in another motor without checking what went wrong ????
What was your setup?

--------------------
Old 11-03-2002, 05:53 PM

Default Re: KA-Boom!!! (SpoolinSol)

Did you even check what code it threw??? Also even though you just changed the oil, you say that at the point where vtec kicked in is when it threw the code ? when vtec kicks in it is also demanding more oil... did you double check the oil send line for any kinks in it? Did you have an oil pressure gauge ?
Also you say you ran with the turbo a day and a half , and were pushing 10 psi ?? you didnt have any break in period ? You allready swapped in another motor without checking what went wrong ????
What was your setup?

--------------------
hmm...sounds like ur on to sumthin....do u have an oil gauge?
Old 11-03-2002, 06:08 PM

Default Re: KA-Boom!!! (TheSwift1)

yeah, spill the beans
Old 11-07-2002, 03:23 AM
New User

you still havent answer my question. Are you the one with the single cam jun civic? lol
Yah that's him.

JDMsol: Did you take out the Jun came or did you leave it in when you put on the turbo???