Notices

She's done... and so am I.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default She's done... and so am I.

The day started off being pretty hectic. I entered my car in its first show, on a kind of a spur of the moment type of deal. Came out with a medal for second place, something I never thought my car would earn. After that we had a BBQ with friends and we sat around talking cars and shooting the breeze. Its been a pretty cool night, so me and my brother took our cars out with a few girls to cruise around and enjoy the weather. After some ice cream my brother and I were talking about how awesome our cars ran in this weather. Turning on to the freeway I went easy on it. Got past the major traffic and dropped it into 4th gear. **** I love how this thing pulls. Starting into VTEC I glanced over at my boost gauge and it read a perfect 10 psi. Then it happen. One boom, then the sound of popcorn... chunks of block and rod fell from the engine bay and hit the floorboard. The oil light flickered on and the RPM went to zero instantly. Smoke poured from underneath the hood. It was all slow motion... or so it seemed. I didnt know what to think, and to be honest I dont know what to think right now.
I just got done pulling the oil pan... first thing we noticed was how the back of the car was completley drenched in oil... along with the complete underside. Also, a hole on the front, lower corner of the block, a little bigger than a golf ball. Draining the oil produced chunks of metal and pure antifreeze. Theres also another large hole on the back of the block. Cylinder number 1 connecting rod is about 1/4" long, the rest of the rod is back on the freeway somewhere. Not sure what else is wrong right now, but I think the head is toast too.
People say that things happen for a reason, but I cant really find the reason for this ****. I used my car as an escape from all the bullshit in my life. Wheter I was working on it, or driving it, I was enjoying every minute of it. Sure a motor is replacable, but when I can barley afford Insurance, replacing the motor wont be easy.
I dont know what my plans are, but right now I'm pretty much done with all of this. I need to focus on school, and more important things in my life. I'm still just a kid in high school, and yea it sounds lame, but I have no idea what the **** I"ll be doing for the rest of my life.... moving out in 3 months, starting school, living on my own.. its all just a blur right now.
Its been fun, and who knows.... maybe I'll come back to all of this later.

Thanks for reading, see you guys around.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: She's done... and so am I. (THE_HX)

I've been in your shoes more than once... you'll be back
Old 04-04-2004, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: She's done... and so am I. (VTC_CiViC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTC_CiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been in your shoes more than once... you'll be back </TD></TR></TABLE>

ya, i dont doubt that. But for the next few years, i think i'm going to give it a rest.... i need to be able to afford school and living on my own... and not have to worry about getting my car stolen or blowing up.

a for the good ol b18c1.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so the motor just broke like that? did you notice any signs before today?

kinda reminds me of the video between the GSX and the M3 when the engine shattered and the passenger was filming it.

sorry to hear
Old 04-04-2004, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ouch thats sucks to hear. Goodluck plenty of time to muck around with cars after schools over.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: She's done... and so am I. (FredoSP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FredoSP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so the motor just broke like that? did you notice any signs before today?

kinda reminds me of the video between the GSX and the M3 when the engine shattered and the passenger was filming it.

sorry to hear</TD></TR></TABLE>

no signs what-so-ever. Car had absolutley NO blow-by, had less than 30,000 miles on it and always ran perfect. Was tuned for 10psi by jason/st00pid... always ran a LITTLE rich, but ran perfect other then that, spark plugs always looked awesome. It doesnt make sense... i was watching the boost gauge when it happen and i was right at 10psi.

Old 04-04-2004, 11:01 PM

sorry to hear that... what was done to the block before the incident ?
Old 04-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this probably wasn't the best post to read while i'm in the process of piecing together a junkyard turbo setup for my rex...

oh well. at least it'll be a sohc zc blowing up in my car instead of your b18c1...no offense.

-cody
Old 04-04-2004, 11:16 PM

Default Re: She's done... and so am I. (y-49CRX)

Manufacturing flaw. You'll be back.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, Im sorry to hear about what happend. It happends to a lot of us. If you need any help, let me know. you know ill always lend a hand. I can get you a few LS shorty's around town for a decent price or i can get you a whole gsr swap, let me know what you need.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: She's done... and so am I. (Full-Race Henry)

like everyone says.. you'll be back..

LS short blocks legit with paper work are going for 300 in socal.

its easy to change engines.. its not like a complete rebuild.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:54 AM
The Boot

damn man...got a sick feeling in my stomatch when you called me at work today to tell me about it...
Old 04-05-2004, 01:06 AM
threes

Default Re: She's done... and so am I. (Full-Race Henry)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Full-Race Henry &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey, Im sorry to hear about what happend. It happends to a lot of us. If you need any help, let me know. you know ill always lend a hand. I can get you a few LS shorty's around town for a decent price or i can get you a whole gsr swap, let me know what you need.</TD></TR></TABLE>

word
Old 04-05-2004, 01:24 AM

Default Re: She's done... and so am I. (c jackson)

live at home as long as possible, save your cash, and focus your efforts, rent sucks!

you never have to be completely finished with cars, or the scene, or whatever you like to do..

Taking a break from one thing or another is something everyone does, sometimes whether they like it or not.

One thing though, when choosing what profession or field you wish to go in, is make sure you do something that you can enjoy doing, or learn to enjoy doing.

Do everything in excellence, and learn to have a passion for what you do or are doing. Striving for excellence in all that you do can make you happy, because of the benifits of hard work.

Everyone has their share of problems, bad things happen to good people, and when times are at their worst in your life, Smile, its better to to have a good attitude and endure things, than to become bitter and suffer!

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2004, 04:50 AM

No worries, everyone has been in your shoes before. However for some odd reason they always come back, including myself. I sold my car recently and bought a benz and told myself that I wouldn't mod another car ever again. I can't believe I tried to lie to myself.

I'm itching to build another turbo civic..
Old 04-05-2004, 05:02 AM
Vice President/CEO

man that sucks.. i am really sorry to hear about that.. I totally understand about the costs of living and such. Get a grip on your life first before starting another project, its too much of a strain on a budget...i know.

good luck man
Old 04-05-2004, 05:13 AM

Default Re: She's done... and so am I. (kKdARIAN)

Sorry to hear that guy. Best of luck moving out and your future.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:33 AM

Default Re: She's done... and so am I. (RacerXI)

sorry to hear I have been down for almost a year but I'm just gtting back into the game. Good luck
Old 04-05-2004, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wanna sell your turbo setup?
Old 04-05-2004, 06:19 AM

you will be back!

if you like the way a mod-ed car drives and runs... you will be back.

I've been doing since I was in high school... then kind of got a way from it... and I got back into it after college. Now I'm married and have "A Life" But my Jeep and boosted Honda are my escape from that. (like you)

I'm now 32, and I will allways have some project. there's just more money for it now.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:53 AM

Default Re: She's done... and so am I. (Dr Honda)

that sucks dude, i think most of us have been there before.

did you get laid by that chick???? that would make me feel a litle better.

Landon
Old 04-05-2004, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry about your motor, just replace it w/ an LS and hopefully you can get the head fixed at the machine shop. Good luck & sorry to hear about that.

Old 04-05-2004, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

instant noodle time again.

you cannot resist the power of the dark side.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: She's done... and so am I. (Typesi2nv)

Same thing happened to me dude, boom and then it sounded like a roll of coins hitting the pavement. I ended up putting a Y7 block in w/my Z6 head which gives me sub 9's on compression.. cost me 300 bucks to do it.

Look familier?

Old 04-05-2004, 07:54 AM

Default Re: She's done... and so am I. (GimpyAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GimpyAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Same thing happened to me dude, boom and then it sounded like a roll of coins hitting the pavement. I ended up putting a Y7 block in w/my Z6 head which gives me sub 9's on compression.. cost me 300 bucks to do it.

Look familier?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's just utter carnage!!! Did you over boost as well?

Quick Reply: She's done... and so am I.