1G DSM Turbo Manifold
DSM Sidemount IC
1G DSM BOV
DSM Blue Top 450cc Injectors
2.5"/3" Custom Downpipe
2.5"/3" Custom Exhaust
Other misc Oil Return lines, IC piping, Gauges etc
----------------------------------------
Total I figure it'll be about 500-1000 depending on what other parts I get for it

Ok well I know that the 14B turbo will be to small for the H23. But I'm planning on uprading to a B16g once I get the internals built. I plan on daily driving this and running about 5-6psi. Another reason why I planning on using all those DSM parts, is because I'm getting them for free, and that is a really good price

My brother is upgrading his 1GB Talon and is giving me most of the stuff. So I figure this would be a nice way to add a little more power to my H23. I know I'm not going to get any crazy numbers out of this, but I just want some more pep to my car and mid 14's would be fine with me (for now :evil )

Now I know with those 450's I'm going to be pretty rich, even if I do the SAFC hack and turn them down all the way. Which is why I'm wondering if I should just use a Vortech disc since it's not that much boost. I figure if I do end up using the disc I'd be able to re-sell it for what I buy it for and so I don't lost much/any on it there. Do you guys think it would be safe to run the disc or should I just ante up the money and use the injectors with the SAFC?

Next is the DP and exhaust piping size. Should I go with 2.5" since the 14b is so small? Or should I just go with 3" piping? (Would 3" piping be to big?)

Opinions would be great
Old 08-06-2004, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Junkyard H23 Turbo Set Up Opinions (Taikonaut)

That's actually the same setup I want to use once I sell my DSM. I have a lot of info here so I'll try to lay it out logically.

Turbo: The 14b won't be too small for the H23. On my car (with an exhaust leak) I'm hitting 12 psi by 3500rpm. Your motor is .3 liters bigger than mine with a higher compression ratio so you should see boost a lot lower. If you keep the boost under 16psi or so, it won't run out of steam too easily on the top end. I think you'll be ok at 9psi if you have a good tune.

IC: If you want to use the stock SMIC, be sure to setup a "tunnel" to the IC so that air is forced through it. Also, in your wheel well, cut holes in the plastic behind the IC so that air will flow through easily.

Exhaust manifold: Be sure to check the exhaust manifold carefully, 1G manifolds crack very easily. Getting a manifold from a 95-99 DSM would be a better bet.

Fuel: If you want to use an SAFC, be sure to get an AFPR as well. The 450cc injectors can be tuned down with an SAFC to give a decent idle.

Exhaust: I would just run a 2.5" exhaust, you're not going to max that out with the 14b; if you go with a 3" exhaust, you'll have creep issues. If you can, really try to port the o2 housing as much as possible and if you can, port the compressor housing and manifold too to reduce creep. Now if you really want to eventually go with a B16G, go 3" now and save yourself the hassle of redoing the exhaust later because a B16G really needs a 3" for best flow.

What are your power goals? The 14b will support up to 250 or 260 with very little problem. If you want to go beyond that, then I would go B16G.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Junkyard H23 Turbo Set Up Opinions (Endless)

Wow great reply!

Well the main reason I'm using so many of the stock 1G parts is because I'm getting them for free, so might as well use them for now and then later down the road I can sell them. I'm trying to save up to build the engine up so that I can eventually run the B16g and turn up the boost.

IC: It's not off my brother's car yet, so I haven't tried fitting it into the space, but I'm going to try and fit it into where the stock intake would be. That way I would have the natural vent into it; I'll probably take a look at the wheel wall sometime. Since I'm running such a low amount of boost, I don't figure I need a big FMIC for it yet.

I figure I'd put it in that area just for a rough idea.

Exhaust Manifold: Yeah I been toying with the idea of just getting the EVO manifold for it. It flows better then the 2G mani and isn't that much more on SBR. But again right now I'm just trying to get the system up and worry about the upgrades later.

Fuel: I've been leaning towards just getting the SAFC, if I ever upgrade or mod another car I can use it on there. Might as well just go it and I would feel safer then using the disc.

Well 250whp would be fine with me. I'd be happy with a mid 13-low 14 car. I'm not looking for crazy amounts of power. I might just keep the Prelude with this set-up and look into getting a DSM as a "race" car

Thanks for the input
Old 08-06-2004, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Junkyard H23 Turbo Set Up Opinions (Taikonaut)

IC: That location isn't a bad one at all. If you have a hole cut in the sheetmetal (like for an intake) then you can attach some dryer hose to it and run it down into the front of the bumper so that it becomes a ram air setup to force air through the IC. You're right though, you won't need a FMIC quite yet.

Manifold: If there are some small cracks in the manifold, you can just weld them up. Since you will be running low boost, you really don't need a huge flowing manifold like an EVO III one, but it wouldn't hurt either.

Fuel: You'll definately need the AFC but I still would strongly recommend getting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator like the B&M one or the Aeromotive one.

A local guy here with an F22 Accord put down 205whp at 4.5psi on a t3/t4 with very little tuning on stock injectors. I think that with the 450's, SAFC, and a decent tune, you could see some pretty good number. Even better ones if you went with Hondata
Old 08-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Junkyard H23 Turbo Set Up Opinions (Endless)

Hey guys, great information, i know the thread is dead but just trying to get some more help here.

I'm wondering if you guys can tell me where would be the best place to get these DSM parts, the exhaust and stuff i know how to get, just the other stuff is what i have a problem with.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:54 PM
i ♥ snails

hahah 14b wont be too small? lol
Old 08-14-2007, 04:32 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

it wont make huge power, but it'll work
Old 08-14-2007, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redzcstandardhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it wont make huge power, but it'll work</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PrecisionH23a)

what kind of I/C piping would you need?
Old 08-15-2007, 03:56 AM
something different

Default Re: (Immortal-Prelude)

any kind. custom, cobbled together, whatever
Old 08-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

would the 2g dsm manifold fit the h23 head aswell?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (whitelude92)

anyone?
Old 08-20-2007, 05:19 PM
something different

Default Re: (whitelude92)

yeah, its the same bolt pattern
Old 12-28-2009, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Junkyard H23 Turbo Set Up Opinions

what other turbos could I use? DSM trader isn't allowing me to register so I cant find any on there. Im using pretty much the same set up, fmic, 2g dsm manifold, blah blah blah