Notices

JRSC, not what I expected.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JRSC, not what I expected.

I just had my jrsc installed by sacramento motoring, they said when I picked it up three days later it was good to go. I had a two hour drive to home, half way my check engine light comes on and I notice my car is sluggish off the line. They tell me my fuel pressure is high, so last night I lowered it from 55 to 40 and noticed a little difference but not much. my mods to the car are, jrsc, intank fuel pump, fpr, JR's BTC (which by the way, under full boost you can turn the adjustment **** from full max to min and my car reacts in no way what so ever), AEM intake, Greddy EVO and a A/F and boost guage(which is only reading 4 lbs of boost). What do you think is wrong, if anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:19 AM

Default Re: JRSC, not what I expected. (socalcivic)

They probably hooked up your BTC incorrectly. The check engine light is either fuel or map. You need to check the code... Do you know how to do this yourself? Also, what year is your car? and type of engine?

When you boost, do you feel a stronger pull?

Welcome to the world of JRSC!!!
Old 08-13-2002, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like another dreaded bad install case. This is particularly ridiculous with the JRSC because one of the strengths of that kit is that the instruction manual is very good compared to anything else out there.

Your boost gauge should be reading between 6-8 psi.

How did you adjust your fuel pressure? Was the car idling? Did you adjust the FMU or the fuel pressure regulator that is on the fuel rail?

Sonny
Old 08-13-2002, 11:22 AM
Trial User

Default Re: JRSC, not what I expected. (Sonny)

this is precisely why i went with the E-ram.....
Old 08-13-2002, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC, not what I expected. (GSRwBOOST)

You have to be shitting me.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC, not what I expected. (mplex2000)

took the words out of my mouth
Old 08-13-2002, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just had my jrsc installed by sacramento motoring, they said when I picked it up three days later it was good to go. I had a two hour drive to home, half way my check engine light comes on and I notice my car is sluggish off the line. They tell me my fuel pressure is high, so last night I lowered it from 55 to 40 and noticed a little difference but not much. my mods to the car are, jrsc, intank fuel pump, fpr, JR's BTC (which by the way, under full boost you can turn the adjustment **** from full max to min and my car reacts in no way what so ever), AEM intake, Greddy EVO and a A/F and boost guage(which is only reading 4 lbs of boost). What do you think is wrong, if anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
I wouldn't trust SMA to install alteeezas and windshield nozzles properly.

Dustin
Old 08-13-2002, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope he can....otherwise he's gonna get backed up, and I don't think Ex-Lax is up to this challenge.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:39 PM

Default Re: JRSC, not what I expected. (JRSCCivic98)

U might want to check the brown wire in the vpac if you have one. We put a jrsc on my buddies 99 lude and it ran horrible until we figured out that wire was out. After he fixed it the car FLEW!!!
Old 08-13-2002, 02:36 PM
New User

you should take it back there and have them fix it. after all.. thats why you paid them to do it in the first place.

SMA sucks anyway.

[Modified by dlplayboy, 3:36 PM 8/13/2002]
Old 08-13-2002, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC, not what I expected. (dlplayboy)

yeah, take it back Im sure you paid enough $.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:57 PM

Default Re: JRSC, not what I expected. (Sonny)

my car is a 2000 dx, d16y7 (I know, ghetto) I adjusted the fuel pressure on the fmu I guess, if thats what you call the thing they mount on the fire wall, I didn't touch the regulator on the fuel rail. Yes my car was idling also. And why are a couple of you guys saying that SMA SUCKS? do you have details of what they have done wrong? why would my boost guage be saying 4 psi also, what could that be?
Old 08-13-2002, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it's either reading 4 PSI because the gauge is bad or because you are only boosting 4 PSI.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:50 PM

I second the notion that the BTC is not installed correctly. By the nature of how much timing it can adjust there is no way it's presence cannot be felt. The 4 PSI thing has me puzzled. I would establish the the boost guage is working correctly first. Double check all the fittings if it is a mechanical boost guage. It would not be the first time someone had a slight leak somewhere in the line. Otherwise check the intake manifold gasket. Perhaps they did not replace the one you had with a new one. I know when I did my JRSC the intake manifold gasket ripped in some places. Although unlikely maybe you are losing the 2 PSI to the air right under the hood. I think you would be able to hear this though.

Being that you lowered your FPR and the BTC may not be working, keep a keen ear to the sound of detonation. You might also want to check your timing with a timing light. With the BTC timing should be set to stock for the vehicle. However in the instructions for the supercharger itself it will say to retard it X amount of degrees. Depending on the level of quality at the shop you went to the guys installing it may not have picked up on this.

[Modified by ck279, 4:52 AM 8/14/2002]
Old 08-13-2002, 07:57 PM

Default Re: JRSC, not what I expected. (ck279)

the shop kept my timing at stock, and my air fuel guage is reading really rich under boost. I don't know if that has anything to do with my timing. I hear a whistle when my boost guage goes between vacuum and boost, is that normal? I noticed the line between the boost guage and the line from the sc is really small, and fits inside those other lines, it's held in by a black looking sealant.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there any kinks in the vacuum line to the boost guage?
Old 08-13-2002, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And why are a couple of you guys saying that SMA SUCKS? do you have details of what they have done wrong?
Hahah, unfortunately I do

Oh well.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: JRSC, not what I expected. (dustin)

I wouldn't trust SMA to install alteeezas and windshield nozzles properly.

Dustin
Haha
Old 08-14-2002, 07:44 PM

Whats up, your are not getting alot of answers just more and more questions. I will ask some of the motor heads at my work. The SC should work the same as one on some of the crazy engines these guys work on. TM
Old 08-14-2002, 10:44 PM

B18C R "Complete swap. Came with axles, ecu, and shift linkage. Total price before shipping was about 5300 or so. I paid a little extra to get a 98 spec with the 4.785 final drive and 4-1 header."

Know thats what I need for a 92 hatchback
Old 08-15-2002, 03:24 AM

That whistle might be a leak somewhere in the SC setup possibly? between the manifold and head? They might have re-used the gasket and its now leaking which is possible and leaks always = boost loss... just a thought
Old 08-15-2002, 04:37 AM
Trial User

Default Re: JRSC, not what I expected. (shadowdawn)

The low boost is either from an enormous vacuum leak (I doubt this... You're idle would be extremely erratic with that big a leak) or from a kinked hose to the boost gauge or from slipping belts.

That small diameter semi-hard tubing is very easy to kink, especially when shoving through the firewall. Any kink is probably inside the cabin under the dash by now.

Check the belt tension. If they aren't crazy loose and you don't hear belts squeeling, I'd look for the kinked vacuum tube first.

Beware if the BTC is also using this same vacuum source, because if it is seeing less boost than is really present, it will not retard enough.

However, the fact that the BTC **** does nothing at WOT says it is installed wrong. Did the installers tap wires at the ECU or at the distributer? A common mistake is tapping the wrong wire for the rpm signal, but that mistake still leaves the BTC in a condition where the **** does affect performance.

Go back to the installers and complain for sure.

Good luck.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:47 AM

Default Re: JRSC, not what I expected. (Holden)

they hooked the wires up at the distributer, can't tell what the connections look like, lots of electrical tape around them. thanks for the info though. I'll check the lines.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:46 PM

check you vacume hose to see if there is a kink in it or pinch in it.Holla@me later WILLIS