Notices

JRSC Dilemma...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JRSC Dilemma...

Okay here is my deal -
Today I am buying a JRSC for my 96' civic EX with 80,000 miles, with my order I was including a HO fuel pump as recommended by the guys down at JR when I called. My problem lies in that I have seen reviews that state that I should get the MAP controller along with the kit, that makes the cost of the kit $2,399 for the charger $145 for the pump and $209 for the MAP and maybe $20 for some new spark plugs bringing it up to $2,755.

Now the boost upgrade I found for $595 and that includes everything I was going to get already with some extra pieces + power and makes the total (JRSC + upgrade)$2,994.

My question is - Is it worth it to save up another weeks paycheck and get the upgrade right from the start? I know the kits are reliable but with the upgrade will that kill my daily driver car real quick? What about intake heat?????
And on top of all that I found the hondata controller (that’s how I found this site ),
And my mind can’t take any more!!

What would you guys do? buy the basic kit, or go all out from the starting gate?

(If it matters, this car has been driven softly its whole life just going to school and back)
Old 05-23-2002, 07:37 AM
sgT
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC Dilemma... (FMXer)

if you want the JRSC, skip the map mod and put that $ toward a hondata
Old 05-23-2002, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am in no way an expert but I would skip the pulley upgrade and try it without it and if you still feel the need to try and get more power then get it..
I have a question for you where is the shop you are getting this from located?
2399.00 is cheap?
Old 05-23-2002, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: JRSC Dilemma... (sgT)

Skip the bandaids...you hopefully wont "need" any of them.

When the time/$ comes, just go Hondata. As for 8PSI+, I would say stick around @6PSI for a bit, get used to it there, see what you can do with that, then move on up.

Although, if you already desire more boost before the charger is even on......you sure you aren't more suited for a turbo kit?
Old 05-23-2002, 08:22 AM
Trial User

Default Re: JRSC Dilemma... (newgsrdriver)

sounds like you have just about what is needed for a basic turbo kit.. plus anohter two to three paydays more to buy extra parts not included in a kit.. and then another payday if you wnat someone else to do the install....

if your already going from 6-8psi already and it's not bolted in... your definately prime candidate for a turbo...
Old 05-23-2002, 09:26 AM

Default Re: JRSC Dilemma... (GSRwBOOST)

I found it @ http://www.civicsuperstore.com -lowest price I have seen.

Believe me I WOULD A TURBO, but I live in California I still need to smog my car every few years and the JRSC is the only CARB legal solution...

So I should go with the hondata in place of the MAP? and defiantly still get the Fuel pump correct?
Old 05-23-2002, 10:55 AM

I just spoke with the guys at Hondata...they where telling be that while my car will pass the smog test with there unit, it may not pass the visual inspection since it does not have an ODBII port.
Anybody in California running this kind of setup?
Old 05-23-2002, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

obviously you want performance... but you want to stay smog legal. i think you now know how hard a task that is. with the JRSC, i passed visual, but failed emissions the first time around and after $200 i barely passed. Many turbocharged cars pass emissions but not visual... if you know of any illegal smog places or leaniant, but logical places who pass despite visual, then you're probably better off getting whatever turbo you want and paying the guy off, but if not then get the JRSC and you might pass legally. I dunno why my **** failed, then barely passed the second time after fixing a bunch of ****!
Old 05-23-2002, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC Dilemma... (csufweed)

go find someone that'll get you a hook up, in Toronto you can pay ppl off to get anything, emmisions, cert and safety all in one nice package

-Rage
Old 05-23-2002, 08:29 PM

If your going to go Jackson, and this is speaking from experience I would go ahead and purchase the 8psi upgrade kit. I wouldn't fool with the map sensor. Buy the fuel pump for sure. I've owned two civics with Jacksons. Trust me you'll wish you went ahead and purchased the upgrade kit. Plus it's easier to put on that pulley now then once you get it installed and have to either pull it off or unbolt the motor mounts and jack up the engine. The upgrade want kill your daily driving as long as you keep your foot out of it.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:07 PM

Default Re: JRSC Dilemma... (b20zkid)

"Go find someone that'll get you a hook up, in Toronto you can pay ppl off to get anything, emissions, cert and safety all in one nice package "

I know a few shops in my area that will hook it, but I don’t really want to always have to rely on a shady deal. Especially if I get caught racing (which I am bound to do once or twice), cops in my area will tear you car apart looking for ANYTHING to bust you on - they will even check you headlights for the proper aiming. I just don’t want to be stuck (with non smog legal car).

So after talking with Hondata and confirming that my car wouldn’t pass the visual smog inspection here is what I thinking...

You guys are right, I want a turbo amount of boost and I think the only way I can get that is with the boost upgrade from the start and like b20zkid said it would be easier to install it while I have everything apart rather than wait down the line. Besides this is some money that I "came into" and I may not have enough down the line to do the boost upgrade. Then I should have everything, and I <should> be happy with the results. Am I forgetting anything?

Man this is becoming a big $$$ hole, if I had the knowledge and could afford the downtime with my car I would just do a B18 swap - end up costing about the same.
Old 05-24-2002, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I found a ghetto shop that didn't even care that my CEL was on cos my car runs way clean
Old 05-24-2002, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: JRSC Dilemma... (inspyral)

inspyral, where in san jo is this shop??????????
Old 05-24-2002, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC Dilemma... (intekragsr)

Run some low 14 second runs on street tires, and mid 13's on slicks with the jrsc at 6psi, and next season do the boost upgrade right.

To do it right, you'll need new injectors, hondata, and a nice little stepper pulley.
Milk the 6psi kit for what it's worth, then increase the boost.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC Dilemma... (intekragsr)

inspyral, where in san jo is this shop??????????
email me
Old 05-24-2002, 11:30 AM

Default Re: JRSC Dilemma... (hypa)

You want need to run bigger injectors or hondata to start out with on the 8 psi kit. Only thing differnet will be that you'll have to reatrd the timing alittle more. But then you could get a BTM do that when it's only under boost. Matter of a fact, Jackson makes a BTM if I'm not mistaken. good luck. Look to make it easier on you. One of my cars had the jackson on it running 6 psi for over 3 years. I changed the belt out once and the bearing in the idler pulley. That's it. So as far as maintenance goes, it's pretty easy to maintain.