JRSC on a d16y8 throwing belts

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JRSC on a d16y8 throwing belts

I know I'm a noob on these boards but, please bear with me on this one. I'd like a little outside advice/help for trying to decipher what the heck happened to my car. Thanks in advance everyone.

I'm wondering if the problem that I'm having is somewhat common for the Jackson Racing SC setup on 99-00 EX's. Basically my problem boils down to the fact that within 50 miles or less my SC belt is either torn to shreds or thrown off & torn up. Usually it has large chunks taken out of the grooves or just a whole groove stripped off of the side. It ran fine for over a year without any hassles. Here's the lowdown on my setup & the problems that I've had that brought me to this:

- 99 EX d16y8
- JRSC @10psi with Endyne pulley
- JRSC nylon idler pulleys (aluminum ones got chewed up somewhere in the middle of all of this)
- 3 rib belts

About 3 months ago the bottom bolt that holds the alternator on to it's mounting bracket decided to snap in half. I didn't notice it until I tried tightening up the belt tensioner for the SC belt & it went a lot further than normal. Once I fixed the bolt problem (just got a new one) my belts started to shred themselves any time I tried to accelerate with just a little bit of oomph, specifically in first gear. Upon further inspection I noticed that that the pullies on the SC & alternator do not line up. In fact their approximately 1/4" to 3/8" off from each other. Looking at the placement of the supercharger in comarison to the drivers side fender I can tell that nothing has changed since I installed it. Leaving me to think that somehow the alternator has moved towards the passenger side of the car.

My questions to anyone who might be able to help are:
- Has this happened to anyone before?
- Is it possible that the alternator itself has bent?
- Is there any way to physically slide the alternator towards the passenger side of the car?
- If not, can the base of the SC pulley be machined down to move towards the passenger side of the car & still have clearance in the SC housing?
- Is there anything else that you can suggest that might fix this problem?

Once again, thanks in advance. I came here on a friends suggestion since other boards haven't been able to tell me anything other than "sell the SC"

Till L8er,
Ken
Old 03-12-2003, 09:14 PM
JT

Default Re: JRSC on a d16y8 throwing belts (The Civic)

I'm pretty sure the spacer between the alternator and bracket is missing when the mounting bolt was broken. This causes the alternator to move too far forward and resulting the belt/pulley mis-alignment.

Edit: Another possibility is the blower nose shaft has shifted in/out a little...

[Modified by JT, 7:57 AM 3/13/2003]
Old 03-13-2003, 12:23 PM

Default Re: JRSC on a d16y8 throwing belts (JT)

Thanks for the help. I wasn't even aware of a spacer between the alternator & it's mounting bracket. I'll definately look into that part over the weekend. If the blower shaft has moved at all wouldn't the whole shaft now have play in it? If so I can rule that one out since the shaft is as solid as when I bought it. If the shaft could have shifted without having play now, what could I do to fix it? All I can think of is to buy a new blower from JR.

Any other suggestions?

Till L8er,
Ken