Notices

JRSC Boost/Vacuum at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JRSC Boost/Vacuum at idle?

Did a search, couldn’t find what I was looking for…….

I have a stock D16A6 with a stock JRSC setup purchased new and complete. I had thought everything was running correctly, now I’m not so sure.

The car feels correct, and fairly responsive, as I would expect on a small amount of boost. I picked up an Equus Vacuum/Boost gauge to be sure of my boost level and to see if belts were slipping at all.

I installed the boost gauge, and pretty much tried EVERY vacuum line I could, and I get the same result. The car sees 20+ of Vacuum pressure at idle, and usually about 15 vacuum at cruising. I only start to see a small amount of boost (never hit above 4PSI) after mashing it completely, and then it stays in boost only for a moment.

Now I had understood that I would have boost almost immediately from throttle, and should have full boost at about 2500 RPM. This is not what the gauge is telling me.

1) Am I misunderstanding the reading I am getting?
2) Are my vacuum lines incorrect, and this is what its showing?
3) Is there something else I am missing?

Please help; I can’t believe that a simple Gauge install like this is causing so many issues even for my Noob wrenching abilities.

Last, I will get a shot of my current map lines for everyone to have a look. Also note that Aquus seems to have shorted me some parts to install the kit, but I rigged it up find anyway, I’m not sure how it could make a difference, but thought I would put it out there.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC Boost/Vacuum at idle? (ZCcivic91)

Something that has always puzzled me was the missing line shown below. It has always just been left open (I didn’t run all the lines myself on the install). However, the car idles like a rock, and has never had issue without it. I have tried running this line in with the the lines when I have tried the gauge install, it dissent seem to make any difference.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All of your stock vacuum lines are coming from the back side of the throttle body, before the blower. Find one on the manifold above the blower somewhere. If you're using the FMU, then tee a line off of the line that goes to it if there aren't any more ports on the manifold.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC Boost/Vacuum at idle? (rmcdaniels)

Rmcdaniels

Thanks for the input. I smaked myself last night when I figured out what I was plugging into wouldnt show boost. However, I did get that part after a bit.

However, even after doing the line from the FPR, it still seems a bit odd the way the guage reacts. I took some video, posted below. The first video is me stomping on it, then getting off, then stomping. The car seems to get up to 5PSI (what I expected out of the stock kit and pully) however it only seems to get there after some pushing. Its stays in Vacuum almost most of the time.

The second video is me just driving the car normally. It never actually sees boost.

Now is the guage correct, and this is just my misunderstanding of how much time the car spends in Vacuum as oposed to actually seeing boost on a supercharger?

Sorry for the crap quality of the vids......

Old 09-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The more I look at the video, the more this seems correct to me. Maybe I was just expecting (and still sort of am) to see boost as soon as Im on the gas with a supercharger, but that dosent seem to be the case here.

Any JRSC owners, feel free to pipe up.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's probably about right, you should not see boost in normal driving. The bypass valve stays open until you open the throttle wide enough to get rid of all vacuum. It only makes full boost at full throttle. The first part of the first video looks about right, you opened it up and it started making boost, smoothly rising to about 5 PSI. You can also try adjusting the belt tension, I usually have to re-tension new belts after a few miles of use.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC Boost/Vacuum at idle? (rmcdaniels)

Cool, thanks. I wasnt sure if I just couldnt install a Boost guage, or if I didnt understand what I was looking at.

Thanks again!