Notices

jrsc

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jrsc

i am puting my jrsc on my 1998 integra ls and was wondering if anyone had some good daily driving setups. or if anyone had any pictures of a jrsc on an ls motor. also if anyone knowshow reliable they are. i reallyhaven't heard of two many people blowing there motor due to a jrsc. i definitly hear more motors blowing with the use of turbos. but if anyone has any information on how the jrsc are and what i should look out for. also i have 60 000 on my integra and i want to make 100 000 on it. will i still be able to achieve this with the jrsc. the most boost i am going torun is 10 psi. thanks please write back need some info!
Old 03-21-2003, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jrsc (redteg)

i have a jrsc on my car and it is just fine. it is pretty dam fast and you dont gotta tune it all the time....just check belt tension frequently.(about 1 time aweek). i got 6 psi of boost with header, short intake, exhaust and it is fine.....no worries. but since you want 10psi...you might wanna do some internal work just to be safe. but 6 psi is already pretty quick....eats up mustangs easy.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:48 PM

Default Re: jrsc (SiKick)

i'm getting the same thing for my b18b motor. i have my motor in a 93 hatch though.
can u post pics of the SC on your motor?

what about running 8 psi with stock internals?
Old 03-21-2003, 04:52 PM

Default Re: jrsc (93hb)

do u have to adjust the timing in any way? does it need to be retarded or anyrhing or does it
matter?
Old 03-21-2003, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jrsc (93hb)

i cant post any pics cause i dont know how...but you do gotta adjust your timing....it should be retarded just a little bit.....i also recommend getting the boost timing controller...thats what i got. 8 psi with stock internals should be ok...but not 100% safe...i would build it up just to be safe.

[Modified by SiKick, 1:41 AM 3/22/2003]
Old 03-22-2003, 02:19 AM

I bought the first LS kit at the end of 1997, put 35,000 miles on it, hundreds of quarter mile runs, hundreds of top speed runs and taken it to 18,000rpm several hundred times. The only problem I had was burned bearings, and that was my fault. I have not made enough Horsepower to brag about, but I have made the same amount of torque than a 8-10psi JSRC GSR with my 5psi. I pull on them off the line and all the way through my second gear at 55mph, then I shift into 3rd and they are still pulling in second until 65mph and usually catch back up to me by the traps. Between the lower gearing of the top gears and the high reving higher HP nature of the GSR they achieve a higher velocity (usually 5mph faster). I usually have quicker 1/8th mile times but slower trap speeds. Look below at my signature, I only accelerate 20mph more in the last half of the quarter mile. That is all higher RPMs and lower gearing.

One thing to remember, you do NOT have the same kit or supercharger as the GSR. Ours is a 45 cubic inch and theirs is a 62 cubic inch blower. That is how much air is pumped for every one revolution. Our blower spins almost two times for every one time our crank turns. So at our factory rev limiter (~7000rpm) your blower is spinning at 14,000rpm. The GSR only spins ~36% faster than the crank, so at their rev limiter (~8100rpm) their blower is spinning at 11,000rpm. To get 10psi from their kit only requires 13,000rpm. Well within the efficiency and safe zone. Ours on the other hand needs to spin 17,000rpm to achieve 10psi. Which is 1000rpm into its redline and 4000rpm past the efficiency zone. Our blower at 10psi is adding 40 degrees more heat to the intake air than a GSR kit at 10psi. Our blower is adding 15 degrees more heat at 6 psi than a 6psi GSR kit.

You can spin the 45 cu in (LS kit) to 18,000rpm safely IF, i repeat IF, it's for limited use of quick spirts followed by proper cool downs, like drag racing. I will use it only for beating that cocky mustang on the street or draging at the track using a bag of ice on the manifold inbetween runs. NOT recommended for continuous high speed driving or top speed runs!

Your best bet for longevity, safety and continoous fun is to take it up to 8psi, dump 20-25 shot of nitrous in it, get a true "cold air intake", replace and tune the whole mess with a Hondata stage 2B. That will net you an additional 60 horsepower and 45 ft lbs torque. Basically more power than the kit did by itself (+40Hp and +25tq). That would give you 215 dyno HP and 190 dyno ft lbs torque. With some slicks you will be in the mid 13's beating Cobras and SS camaros.

That's my 2 cents....
Old 03-22-2003, 04:49 AM

Default Re: jrsc (blownLS)

I would not use the LS supercharger kit I would use the type-r or Si kit. you have to modify the manifold and do some minor plumbing changes. the ls charger is a m45 and the type-r is a m62 you will make much more power. email me if you have more questions
Old 03-22-2003, 02:34 PM

thanks a lot. i drove a gsr today with a jrsc on 8 psi and for some reason i really wasen't impressed. but maybe my car will pull harder. but what do i need to run 8 psi not 10. you said it s better to run 8 since my car is a daily driver and i don't want any heating problems. also do u think it will be more stronger than the gsr i drove today.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:48 PM

Do NOT expect a stock LS with JRSC to be any more impressive that a GSR with JSRC. My car has been through a lot of modifications to include built motor and serious tuning. Without any other mods than the JRSC you will be as quick as a stock type R. I have proven, without an increase in boost, you can drop another second off that time. But I have learned the hard way about what works with these blowers and what doesn't. The point I was trying to make with heat is that high RPMs on the blower generates a lot of heat to your intake charge. There is additionaly heat sink into the manifold and head but is not as concerning as the life of the blower or the performance drop due to warmer AIR temperatures. Every 10 degree increase in AIR temp creates a 1% loss of power, so an additional 30 degrees of air will cause a 200HP engine to loose 6HP.

I have headwork and camwork done so I spin at a higher RPM than you possibly would. When I am on the streets I usually shift at 6000rpm (when having fun) and save the 7500rpm runs for racing somebody.

You can achieve 7.5psi with a CRV crank pulley (5% overdrive). You can achieve 8.5 psi with an unorthodox racing overdrive pulley made specifically for JRSC (10% overdrive) and can achieve 9.5 psi with a Stepper alternator pulley (13% overdrive).

If you can somehow keep it all cool with a water injection, custom intercooler, nitrous etc... you will get back most of your lost power from heat. If you use some sort of computer engine managment you can get back some lost power due to retarded timing. If you use larger injectors (440) with an engine managment you can safely take your engine past 8psi.

Once you find all your lost power and get it running good, you find yourself with traction problems which leads to slow 60ft times in the mid 2 second range and doesn't allow you to run any faster than 15.0 flat until you fix it. This is easily achieved with slicks, but doesn't help you on the streets. Getting some expensive sticky street tires and a LSD will fix this and get you into the mid 14s. But breaking into the 13s will require moderate engine building with higher compression and better cams or 10psi with engine managment or nitrous.

That is why I responded in the last post of what is the cheapest bang for the buck to get these things moving is 8psi, nitrous, Hondata (with larger injectors) and some slicks.

Once you get these things tunned in, they are very streetable, predictable, safe and fun. You have less trouble and more longevity than a turbo. Just don't expect turbo-like power. This is what I would consider a half way solution to turbo with an investment in longevity...

enjoy

Old 03-25-2003, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE]I bought the first LS kit at the end of 1997, put 35,000 miles on it, hundreds of quarter mile runs, hundreds of top speed runs and taken it to 18,000rpm several hundred times.

BlownLS, you must have that Honda F1 swap!!! How'd you get one of those?
Old 03-26-2003, 09:48 AM

Default Re: jrsc (roadrunner)

Through an Acura dealership. The kit was incomplete. Moss motors sent them a kit that required 80 hours of labor and an additional $200 in fabrication parts to finish the job. They charged all of the extra labor and parts to Moss motors. I got off good, considering they were running a 20% off sale on there JRSC kits. So I got it installed for a total of $2500 and they warrantied it for 1 year! Moss motors basically used Pikes Peak Acura of Colorado Springs to complete their R&D of the B18A/B project. It took 31/2 weeks due to shipping and machine work and I got a free rental car our of the deal payable from Moss motors. My SC idler pulley bracket is different from everyone elses. It doesn't swing far enough to take all the neccesary slack out. It had to be moved closer to get the right angle. There were no FPR fitments or a coolant return lines.
It was a mess. I only made 12 more horsepower and 10 ft lbs torque initially. It took a year of tinkering and trouble shooting to find the additional 18 horsepower to make a whopping 30HP increase. Most of this was due to having a natural aspirated 135 dyno HP and 125 ft lbs torque before the blower.

They did however fix all the problems they had on my kit and implemented those changes (slowly)into the kits that hit the streets awhile later. Who knows, this might be why they delayed them 6 months...
Old 03-26-2003, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I re-read it -- 18000 rpm for the blower, not the engine... on me...