Notices

Jim Fab Install Problems

Old 06-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jim Fab Install Problems..........Works Now!!!!

Mine is hitting the radiator support and needs to go higher. I read an old post about the AC lines needing loosened first and I did that. But I had to take it off because we couldn't get it on the passenger side to bolt up on to the tow hook holes. Here is apicture of what I am talking about:

Anybody else have this problem? I am not sure if I got a defective one or what? It is off by at least a 1/4 of an inch. I am just VERY disappointed with this piece and will be calling Jim on Monday. Any info would be appreciated on this.

Brad

Modified by ladysman at 11:30 PM 6/15/2003
Old 06-07-2003, 02:30 PM
New User

Default Re: Jim Fab Install Problems (ladysman)

it's either manufacture defect or you got frame damage.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:51 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Jim Fab Install Problems ([Evo]Hybrid)

Are all the bolts in?
Old 06-07-2003, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Jim Fab Install Problems (Arturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are all the bolts in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where art? We couldn't get any on the passenger side. We had 2 in on the driver side? The only thing preventing us from installing it is the damn radiator support!!
Old 06-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Better than steak

Ok, you need to slide both ends at the same time then line up the bolt holes. I had this same problem too and I was like WTF? But like I said, slide in both sides at the same time the line up the bolt holes and install the bolts.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Jim Fab Install Problems (Arturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, you need to slide both ends at the same time then line up the bolt holes. I had this same problem too and I was like WTF? But like I said, slide in both sides at the same time the line up the bolt holes and install the bolts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK, I see what you are saying. You can't install one side you have to do both at the same time (2 person job here I am assuming for safety ) Then each person install a bolt to get it up there. Then secure all bolts. Right?

Edit: Art, was yours this close to the radiator. Mine is a civic but I think you have a teg. Not sure how much different they really are (Besides a full radiator on the teg).

Thanks Art!

Brad

Old 06-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Better than steak

Hope it works..
Old 06-07-2003, 04:13 PM

I just bent it up just a bit to get it to fit just right. you will love driving you car after they are on garanteed MIKE
Old 06-07-2003, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Jim Fab Install Problems (mike97hb)

They are made of a jig so im sure its not a defect.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:49 PM
New User

Default Re: Jim Fab Install Problems (ninesecrx)

Looks like you might have an aftermarket radiator support too. See the paint runs? That may interfere without adjustments. I.E. BFH time.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Jim Fab Install Problems (SiR Kid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiR Kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks like you might have an aftermarket radiator support too. See the paint runs? That may interfere without adjustments. I.E. BFH time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, it isn't aftermarket radiator support. The car was just painted.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a GSR radiator in and there was no way it would fit, the radiator sat too low. I bought a C&R race radiator and put the Jimfab bars in, then I remounted the radiator correctly. Intercooler piping sucks to route but the radiator worked out ok.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Jim Fab Install Problems (B18C4-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C4-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had a GSR radiator in and there was no way it would fit, the radiator sat too low. I bought a C&R race radiator and put the Jimfab bars in, then I remounted the radiator correctly. Intercooler piping sucks to route but the radiator worked out ok.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What did you do to remount it correctly? Was your JimFab hitting the radiator support as well? More details!!!
Old 06-08-2003, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also had minimal contact with these radiator mounts as well as some contact with the lower radiator neck.

I did not use the spacers JimFab supplied because it lifted the radiator up too much IMO. But keep in miind that this would have only solved the radiator neck contact issue.
Instead of the poly spacers I ground off the portion of the tab that contacted....then powdercoated the bar and "perfect"

For the radiator mounts I actually trimmed off some of the mount. The mounts will still do their job and the bar will fit great. Problem solved.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Jim Fab Install Problems (SLPR)

Well, today my bro (Max Diesel here) installed the Jim Fab with great success. Thanks again max!!!

He had to do some cutting of my dump tube and charge piping as well as cut a little off the radiator mount but he got it to fit. Now, how is everyone adjusting these anyway? It says to leave it a little loose which is what we did but I want to know if I should take it to get another alignment or not? Art? SLPR?

I will let you all know how I like it. He had to cut my dump tube so now the exit is close to my fan. Before the exit was way below my fan. Should I be concerned?

Here are some pictures of it:

Enjoy!!
Old 06-15-2003, 09:20 PM

This is OT but does your return line drain well enough? From the first two pics it looks like the return line comes down, turns, then goes back up quite a bit. Mine does the same thing but not quite that much, though it could just be the angle of the pics.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good job.

the jimfab stuff is so well designed and beautifully made, if youre gonna call jim, just thank him. The price is awesome, ESPECIALLY for what you get. I mean the billet aluminum mount thing is just sweet. He makes some truly killer stuff!

bending the radiator tabs is not that big of a deal at all... expecially considering the end result.

BTW are those DSS stage 3 axles? im surprised u havent broken them all i do is break them

AS far as alignment goes, definately get the car aligned now. 3.5 degrees forward caster seems to work well, then give it 1/8" toe in to keep it straight at the top of the track and a litle negative camber so that when the car lifts you get a full contact patch. good luck
Old 06-15-2003, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Jim Fab Install Problems (FFgeoff)

that is sweet....and holy tight!!!!!!

i was going to say nice axles..much bigger than my... stock ones

Old 06-15-2003, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Jim Fab Install Problems (SiRkid)

do you guys think the bars would clear hte intercooler piping in my integra? I have the Rev Hard 2c kit which mounts the turbo with the compressor facing the driver side. The intercooler piping is close to the block and oil pan so when the suspension is compressed i think the arms from the jim fab bars wont go up and hit hte pipe. what do you guys think?
Old 06-16-2003, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FFgeoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good job.

the jimfab stuff is so well designed and beautifully made, if youre gonna call jim, just thank him. The price is awesome, ESPECIALLY for what you get. I mean the billet aluminum mount thing is just sweet. He makes some truly killer stuff!

bending the radiator tabs is not that big of a deal at all... expecially considering the end result.

BTW are those DSS stage 3 axles? im surprised u havent broken them all i do is break them

AS far as alignment goes, definately get the car aligned now. 3.5 degrees forward caster seems to work well, then give it 1/8" toe in to keep it straight at the top of the track and a litle negative camber so that when the car lifts you get a full contact patch. good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the compliments. I am going to get it aligned asap. I will take this and show it to the tech!!!
Those are stage 2 DSS axles. I have had them for 3 years of beating and no problems whatsoever. They seem to be bulletproof.........for now.

KC, I see what you are talking about but I don't think it is all that much. I am not worried about it really. Unless someone hear says I should change it asap. I was going to change to a 90 degree fitting from the turbo. This would eliminate this all together. Should I change it? Anyone?
Old 06-16-2003, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if youre tail pip is smoking then change it. if theres no smoke you are a-OK
Old 06-16-2003, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FFgeoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if youre tail pip is smoking then change it. if theres no smoke you are a-OK</TD></TR></TABLE>

No smoke so I guess I am fine. Would it be blue smoke?