Notices

Jackson Racing Supercharger - SCREAMING Nosie

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:59 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jackson Racing Supercharger - SCREAMING Nosie

I've recently installed a JRSC. Walbro 255 fuel pump, RC SL9-550 injectors, stock rail and fpr. Stock crank pulley, 3.8 charger pulley. Just got everything hooked up tonight and when running, it makes this AWFUL scream/squeal. It's not a belt noise, it seems to be coming from the charger itself. I've tried spraying carb cleaner at various points on the intake gasket, the charger gasket, the bypass tube, any/all fittings and vacuum lines. No change. It also idles high (2k-3k), seems to rev fine (no bogging). Car is currently untuned, but should hit boost and not scream at me.

Do I need to change the oil in my charger?

Here's a video of the noise.

View My Video

Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Jackson Racing Supercharger - SCREAMING Nosie

sounds like a vacuum leak, is there a grinding noise at all?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:50 PM
HT White Ops

No grinding noise. I think I'm going to do an oil change and see how that goes. Will keep it updated.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:14 PM
HT White Ops

Did an oil change, bought a new bypass valve -- car is STILL doing it. It sounds like it's coming FROM the bypass valve. I can't explain it other than it's a REALLY REALLY REALLY loud screech. Like, my ears are still ringing. Car also misses really bad right now, only sounds mildly ok on full advance.

Running 7-range NGK iridiums, Walbro 255, RC550's. Could it just be that I'm pissing fuel in? It does it with my NA map, and also my buddy's turbo-d map. I don't figure it'd run this poorly just at idle.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to sell the old bypass valve, and it's in decent condition, send me a PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

$5 says its the lower tentioner pulley! go under the car remove the driver wheal, loosen the tension from up top then go back down and remove the pulley! its the tentioner pulley for the crank pulley to alt. now i know that there is a 99% of a chance that this is your problem! this just happened to me and sounds just like mines did when i didn't put a washer on both sides of the pulley when i installed my new jrsc kit on my new setup after selling my old setup. If there isnt a washer on both sides it will squeal like a crazy pig, it will almost sound like the there's a bolt being tossed and crunched in the blower its self or in that area, probably why you thought it was the bypass, i too thought i had a defected blower but i was weary because the kit was brand new, i looked and listened more around the motor and heard it coming from lower around that pulley, so i removed it and added another washer cause it had only one and it caused the pulley to be too tight when i bolted it down, so it would get loose again and squeal, i came to this conclusion from inspecting the pulley it self, i saw that there was a groove being cut into the pulley where the cone washer is, it was grinding into the pulley, it was clear that if there was a washer it will solve the grinding issue and most likely the squeal was coming from that! so one little washer from my bucket of bolts and it was quiet like a mouse. and p.s i want my $5 j.k gl.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:43 PM
HT White Ops

Mine sounds like it's coming from the front near the throttle body. There's no crunch or crack or rattle.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:44 PM
HT White Ops

Originally Posted by Jaker
If you want to sell the old bypass valve, and it's in decent condition, send me a PM.
Mine had an inch long tear in it.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Eran
Mine sounds like it's coming from the front near the throttle body. There's no crunch or crack or rattle.
the sound/vibrations travel up top and makes it seem its up in that area but it could just be that pulley trust me just take it off and see if it has a washer on both sides!
Old 06-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
$5 says its the lower tentioner pulley! go under the car remove the driver wheal, loosen the tension from up top then go back down and remove the pulley! its the tentioner pulley for the crank pulley to alt. now i know that there is a 99% of a chance that this is your problem! this just happened to me and sounds just like mines did when i didn't put a washer on both sides of the pulley when i installed my new jrsc kit on my new setup after selling my old setup. If there isnt a washer on both sides it will squeal like a crazy pig, it will almost sound like the there's a bolt being tossed and crunched in the blower its self or in that area, probably why you thought it was the bypass, i too thought i had a defected blower but i was weary because the kit was brand new, i looked and listened more around the motor and heard it coming from lower around that pulley, so i removed it and added another washer cause it had only one and it caused the pulley to be too tight when i bolted it down, so it would get loose again and squeal, i came to this conclusion from inspecting the pulley it self, i saw that there was a groove being cut into the pulley where the cone washer is, it was grinding into the pulley, it was clear that if there was a washer it will solve the grinding issue and most likely the squeal was coming from that! so one little washer from my bucket of bolts and it was quiet like a mouse. and p.s i want my $5 j.k gl.
This happened to me. I still had the all metal pulleys and I now have the composites. My lower tensioner bearing actually exploded.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine had an inch long tear in it.
Are you talking about the vacuum actuator, or the actual bypass valve (mini throttle body)? I was talking about the aluminum mini TB (bypass valve).
Old 06-15-2010, 10:37 PM
HT White Ops

I just bought a new actuator. There was nothing wrong with the valve itself.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:07 PM
HT White Ops

Well, I took off the pulley .... and damnit if it wasn't ****ED up. Missing *****, grove worn in it. Thank you thank you thank you.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I took off the pulley .... and damnit if it wasn't ****ED up. Missing *****, grove worn in it. Thank you thank you thank you.
haha sick so its fixed! i want my $5 now lol jk.