Notices

J&S detonation weirdness !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 11:16 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J&S detonation weirdness !!!

OK guys I'm tripping really bad... I've been on vacation for a week; got back and drove my car (turbo GSR) to work and back yesterday and all was fine. Today on my way to work I'm cruisign along the highway and I notice that one or two lights on the Knock/Retard indicator were lit consistently on my J&S. This is at like 15" vacuum which really freaked me out because the J&S is supposedly disabled below 10" vacuum. Aside from that, I wasn't boosting or even accelerating. I kept driving and seemingly at random the knock indicator would either be hanging around 2-3 degrees retard or even all the way to max retard, only one light illuminated (but mine is set to retard individual cylinders). All this under cruise conditions. Max throttle I still hear no detonation but the light remains in either the same position or some other random place on the gauge but fuel is showing very rich. Even IDLING it was showing 1-2 lights. I stopped at the gate entering work and wiggled the dual-gauge connector at the gauge and where it goes into the J&S and from the gate to the office it didn't seem to show up, but that was just a short drive. I think it must have just been a loose connection giving erratic readings but I'm still freaking out... anyone had similar problems?
Old 09-25-2001, 11:32 AM
New User

Default Re: J&S detonation weirdness !!! (dbman96)

I am not much help here dude, but as far as your situation goes especially if indicating the LED's at idle it's either a loose connection as you said or possibly a component inside the j&s box gone bad itself, nothing is fullproof when it comes to electronics.. Btw doesn't the J&S have it's own knock sensor you wire in the engine? Any possibility it's picking up more engine noise and interpretting that as detonation?? Just thoughts which I am sure you already took into consideration but you have helped me a few times so just thought i could try to help ya Good luck man,

Nick
Old 09-25-2001, 11:36 AM
New User

Default Re: J&S detonation weirdness !!! (boost killz)

Thanks nick - I'm really hoping that it was just a bad connection. I'm actually using the stock knock sensor; I'm not -hearing- any new engine noises although my valve train has been sounding like it needs some attention for the last few months. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting any detonation problems at idle (unless somehow my timing got WAY advanced) so i hope this whole thing just goes away.
Old 09-25-2001, 12:08 PM
ek
New User

i had the same problem after/during an autoX... i was pretty freaked out, but i was checking all the connections when i discovered that the little headphone jack thing for the dual monitor must not have been in quite right because after unplugging it then plugging it back in, all problems were alleviated... i guess the rough ride from the autox musta jarred it loose somehow...
Old 09-25-2001, 12:10 PM
New User

Default Re: J&S detonation weirdness !!! (ek)

That eases my mind - while I was gone, anonymous person or persons helped by "cleaning up" my car, so I'm sure my wires got pushed around a little.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-25-2001, 05:14 PM
Trial User

Yup. Loose headphone jack caused the same thing for me.