Notices

Internally gated questions

Old 11-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internally gated questions

I have a b18c5 and want to turbo it just for a little more power so i was going the t3 route,i was wondering those who are using internally gated turbos how are they?is tuning anymore difficult?A dsm/grand national buddy of mine told me they can be ported too?The car will be a daily driver/weekend warrior.Thanks for any help you can give.If you were internal and went external what were the reason's for it?Yes, i did a search before posting.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Internally gated questions (downtime1)

It really comes down to room. For mild turbo setups both perform fine. But in tight engine compartments internal gates are a bitch. They increase the overall footprint of the turbo, and they pretty much eliminate you from being able to clock the turbine or compressor housings of the turbo to fit the car.

But it can be done. I use internal gates, but it usually involves a custom wastegate actuator arm and actuator bracket.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Internally gated questions (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It really comes down to room. For mild turbo setups both perform fine. But in tight engine compartments internal gates are a bitch. They increase the overall footprint of the turbo, and they pretty much eliminate you from being able to clock the turbine or compressor housings of the turbo to fit the car.

But it can be done. I use internal gates, but it usually involves a custom wastegate actuator arm and actuator bracket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2

i use internally gated turbos also. they are most definately portable too. it just makes the turbo a bit harder to stuff in tight locations. also, they typically dump into the exhaust instead of atmosperically. not that it honestly matters. people do build dump housings for those tho if you crave the growl of an open- air wastegate