Notices

intercooler/radiator efficiency setup for DAILY DRIVEN VECHICLE

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intercooler/radiator efficiency setup for DAILY DRIVEN VECHICLE

OK. I bought a 95 240sx to be my daily driven vehicle. I have no bones about downtime because I have my explorer and I won't sell it until this car is running. I'm dropping in a red top SR20DET and was thinking a few things.
And then I saw this picture

Signal's Drift S15

Do you see how the Intercooler and the radiator are both tilted as to make a sideways "V"? now this does a few things: Seperates the incoming air (there's plenty for both) so that both the radiator and the intercooler get the primarily COLDER air. Instead of a normal setup where the air goes through the IC and then heats up before it hits the radiator.
And I plan to have slots made in the top of the hood to where the upper half of the split air runs through the IC and out through the slots in the hood.
I don't mind fabrication and I have some time since there is no rush to finish.

A question I would pose, as well as any other ides, is that would having the slots be a bad idea when it rains water will run down with gravity and fall right onto the IC. Yeah.....having slots isn't a good idea for thieves but having a front mount is about the same.
But If the slots are a bad idea for a good reason...its back to frontmount.

And. You can see how short the IC piping is. I would have the BOV either made onto the hotside endtank or somewhere on the hotpipe (somewhere before the IC). And with shorter Pipes, there's less to pressurize.

The cores for the ICs you get with a drag kit are so tiny. I've measured and it looks like you can fit a silvia core 20x10 in with semi-custom endtanks. I want a turboXS core too, no slouching on the IC.

And there will of course be an electric fan on the radiator...or two.

So please, give me your perspectives. And don't you wish you had this much room under the hood (S2000 excluded)

Modified by Pelican at 9:40 PM 7/28/2003
Old 07-28-2003, 01:45 PM
Banned

Default Re: intercooler/radiator efficiency setup for DAILY DRIVEN VECHICLE (Pelican)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And I plan to have slots made in the top of the hood to where the upper half of the split air runs through the IC and out through the slots in the hood.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think a vented hood would allow that IC to benefit a lot more than just cutting holes in the stock hood. i noticed they Japanese tuners have started doing this and it really IS a good idea, however i don't think there's any room for a design like that on a daily driven Teg

good diea man, go for it!
Old 07-28-2003, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intercooler/radiator efficiency setup for DAILY DRIVEN VECHICLE (slowasscx)

Vented hood. That's what I meant. Not just rectangular holes but a three sided ramp leading to holes. Like a normal vented hood. I just couldn't find one for a S14.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intercooler/radiator efficiency setup for DAILY DRIVEN VECHICLE (Pelican)

yeah i was thinking about thin a lot lately. having a small top mount like a wrx intercooler up top and a regular intercooler bown bottom though. seems like a real good idea.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:44 PM

if u can get ur ic set up like that and scoops in the hood to route incoming air straight onto the face of it, i see no problems then. rain is really no matter with the ic, it's not like the water is gonna get in with the air, if anything it'll just help cool things down more
Old 07-30-2003, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intercooler/radiator efficiency setup for DAILY DRIVEN VECHICLE (Pengo)

Well my decision was made for me. The condensor sits just in front of the radiator and since I'm keeping AC, I would have to lean that back too. That makes less room.

AND the air would probably just roll along the radiator/condensor to go through intercooler since it has a less restrictive exit. So then I would have a big problem with overheating, I believe.

One more thing, ducting air specifically UNDER the car isn't a great idea either. I know it normally escapes that way but I am trying to get it under there.

I guess its back to frontmount/Condensor/Radiator
I'm still going to vent it out. Maybe even from other places too.

Michael
Old 07-30-2003, 06:15 PM

fyi thats pretty much how a 3rd gen rx7 is setup...tilted rad anyway...and they have huge heating problems..it dosnt get air flowin straight thru...just lettin ya know..tilted rad= poor flow and possible over heating...

it might be more efficient as u pointed out cus of the air not flowing thru the ic then rad but signals cars arent put thru city driving and traffic...there usually steady high speeds where air flow is at a max