Notices

intercooler piping size?

Old 02-10-2006, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intercooler piping size?

i have an ls teg and im building a turbo kit for it. i have a t3turbo and a big IC with 3in inlet and outlets.

what size piping should i use 2in, 2.5in, 3in?

and why?
Old 02-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intercooler piping size? (speedyls2000)

good idea is to search before you post and read the faq's before you search, do this and you will then be ready to recieve all the answers you request grasshopper.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: intercooler piping size? (adnoh drocca)

Lol, I don't care what anyone says, I ******* love honda-tech.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:31 PM

Default Re: intercooler piping size? (EnzoSpeed)

this is of no help!
Old 02-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedyls2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have an ls teg and im building a turbo kit for it. i have a t3turbo and a big IC with 3in inlet and outlets.

what size piping should i use 2in, 2.5in, 3in?

and why?</TD></TR></TABLE>

most kits increase in size from small at the turbo outlet to large at the throttle body. My DRAG kit goes from 1.5" to 3" at the thorttle body, gradually increasing along its path from the turbo to the engine.

If you go with one size, i would choose 2.5", why? I can't say but its what everyone is using and they are making good numbers with it.

In the end- IC piping size isnt going to give you any type of substanital power/tq increases it will prolly only effect your powerband.

sorry i know it aint the best info but at least its info....
Old 02-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You'll be okay with 2.5" intercooler piping. That T3 turbo is too small for this application in my book.....
Old 02-12-2006, 10:56 AM
Do you even PLEBE R8?

Default Re: intercooler piping size? (turbotime)

What i find is funny is that cooler air is more dense and yet the charge piping (after intercooler) is usually bigger than the hot pipe even though technically it should be the other way around... just a thought.

I would go 2.5 or 2.75 charge/hot pipe, if anything i would go with a larger hot pipe and smaller charge pipe. The only real reason to go massive like 3" is if your trying to move a large volume of air besides that i dont think it really makes a big difference.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedyls2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is of no help! </TD></TR></TABLE>

WOW, then search noob!!!! You can act helpless like a lil kid or take some initiative and educate yourself, obviously you just want to be spoonfed. In the end if all you do is get spoonfed the info you want you will still be to ignorant to be able to help yourself. Jus some advice, take it or leave it. I kinda have an idea what you will do tho........
Old 02-13-2006, 03:30 AM

Default Re: intercooler piping size? (KeyserSoze)

that is the whole reason i asked WHY so i can learn. if i was being spoonfed i would of just taken my car to some local speed shop and bought some pre made turbo kit and have them put it on for me instead of doing all the work my self. i just dont need some lame *** putting up crap that doesnt make any sence. if you know something show me so i can learn! and if you dont know crap dont say anything.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:38 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

2.5" is the way to go for your setup. Why, because it is
Or 2.25" to the intercooler and 2.5" to the TB.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just like I stated in my original post, if you would take a minute (and that is really all it would take) to look in the faq's you would find a whole thread dedicated to intercooler piping sizes and which is appropriate for which level of hp (or more specfically airflow), the thread even goes into what the theoretical maximum airflow for a pipe of a given diameter would be (this of course assumes no restriction on the end and everyone knows in actuality there is and engine there).

2 difficult?......................look here

https://honda-tech.com/zero...02591
Old 02-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

keyserSoze

maybe yo need to go to the second sticky and read the rules, especially the one that says do not tell people to search.

id personal go with 2.5 all the way
Old 02-13-2006, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually made a bit more power up top switching to a 3" charge pipe rather than my previous 2.5" from the IC to the throttle body. But the was a tad bit more lag (150 rpm ish) To be honest, if your goals are around or under 350 than stick to 2.5" all around and keep it simple.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (King-Kong)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by King-Kong &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I actually made a bit more power up top switching to a 3" charge pipe rather than my previous 2.5" from the IC to the throttle body. But the was a tad bit more lag (150 rpm ish) To be honest, if your goals are around or under 350 than stick to 2.5" all around and keep it simple.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-13-2006, 06:32 PM
i my honda
Global Mod

Default Re: intercooler piping size? (SQ is the SQUAD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SQ is the SQUAD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">keyserSoze

maybe yo need to go to the second sticky and read the rules, especially the one that says do not tell people to search</TD></TR></TABLE>

I vote ban
Old 02-14-2006, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intercooler piping size? (SQ is the SQUAD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SQ is the SQUAD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">keyserSoze

maybe yo need to go to the second sticky and read the rules, especially the one that says do not tell people to search.

id personal go with 2.5 all the way</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ummm, maybe YOU (or should I more accurately write yo) should read my original post where I did everything but grab the dude by the ear and stick his nose in the faq thread.

BTW - If that rule were enforced, 90% of the people on h-t would have a negative user rating. Try standing on your soapbox somewhere else.

I pointed the dude in the right direction, whether he chooses to utilize the info or not is his decision, but he should'nt complain when he isn't even willing to do a little legwork (in this case very little). You are confusing the "letter of the law" with the "intent of the law."

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I vote ban </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, to you to!!
Old 02-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The sticky in question, verbatim:
"DO NOT TELL PEOPLE TO SEARCH. If you think the thread doesnt belong, report it to a mod and we'll deal with it. Remember, there's a ton of archived information, but technology changes as do specific situations. There is often not a definitive answer for many questions in this sport."

1) I told the guy to look in the faqs and he would find his answer there. And suggested that it would be a good idea to seach next time. Hardly a "go and search you moron statement." This was not said until after he showed NO effort to determine the answer upon his own accord with my help.

2) The intent of the italicized portion above is to deter members from failing to realize that searching will in no way produce an answer to certain questions and in their ignorance just instantaneously spouting out "SEARCH" when someone asks a question.

Redirect??

Old 02-14-2006, 01:27 PM
i my honda
Global Mod

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KeyserSoze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Well, to you to!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

HEY BUD, I WAS TALKING ABOUT HIM NOT YOU

IBTL
Old 02-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intercooler piping size? (White Smoke)

ok settle down ladies...