Notices

Intake Temperature is TOO HOT! Here's my remedy, what's yours?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Temperature is TOO HOT! Here's my remedy, what's yours?

Ok, I have noticed extremely HOT intake air temperatures in my datalogs recently. I had this problem last year but didn't do anything about it. First of all, when I am at the strip in the staging lanes, I will see air temps of 145-165 on a 90 degree day, but once I get into boost it and start driving, it will drop about 20 degrees within about 20-30 seconds of driving. I suspected the heat from my stainless exhaust manifold was getting trapped in the engine bay, holding heat in the engine bay, and adding to my temp problem... So, I put a hood scoop on:

I also had the upper intercooler pipe heat wrapped.... that didn't help at all! My next plan of attack is the Hondata intake manifold gasket. I just want cold intake temps! Oh, and I have a plenty big intercooler, air temp goes DOWN when boosting.

What intake air temperatures are you guys seeing, and in what conditions?

Old 07-28-2004, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Intake Temperature is TOO HOT! Here's my remedy, what's yours? (Hondaddict)

when at the track put a bag of ice on your intake manifold/water injection,/ nx ntercooler.... heat sheild.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intake Temperature is TOO HOT! Here's my remedy, what's yours? (rudebwoy)

i have the same probs. i see like 145 or so in the staging lanes, then during the run it goes to like 118. i kicked the back of my hood up , im not sure if that helps yet, we shall see shortly . i have the Hondata gasket and that helps, but only soo much . i will prob end up spraying down my IM with nitrous
Old 07-28-2004, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Intake Temperature is TOO HOT! Here's my remedy, what's yours? (Hondaddict)

sooooooo....what are the temps that your seeing now with the hood scoop and gasket?
Old 07-28-2004, 10:15 AM

where do you find that scoop in CF?
Old 07-28-2004, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dont forget, the temp sensor is a little slow to respond...yeah when it gets heat soaked, temps sky rocket. but anyone who's datalogged will know it drops very quickly when you start boosting.

I dont really worry too much about intake temps as long as they arent out of control (but granted they must be consistant when u tune a car). Ive made 540 whp on a car that had 140 temps that went down to 130 at the end of the run w/ a ambient air temp of 100 degrees. sure cooler air makes more power, but not enough to waste so much money on these nitrous sprayers and such. if anything, id just throw on a bag of ice on the Intake mani while staging.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intake Temperature is TOO HOT! Here's my remedy, what's yours? (Mase)

really? damn thats good to know then . ice gets messy though. if they see it drip a little after you clean up and stage, they will toss you. dry ice i guess is the way to go
Old 07-28-2004, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Intake Temperature is TOO HOT! Here's my remedy, what's yours? (itr206)

Where is your temp sensor at?
Old 07-28-2004, 12:18 PM

Im going to start this week fabbing up a part that is going to incase the intake runners and part of the throttle body. Also inside of it, im going to have refridgerator line (stuff that bends easily) wrap around all the i.r.'s and shoot co2 into there to allow it to cool. there will be a small hose that will allow excess pressure to vent out. Its going to splice off of the ic sprayer. Hopefully this will drop the temps down even more. What does the Ht gods think about it?
Old 07-28-2004, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Intake Temperature is TOO HOT! Here's my remedy, what's yours? (itr206)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">really? damn thats good to know then . ice gets messy though. if they see it drip a little after you clean up and stage, they will toss you. dry ice i guess is the way to go </TD></TR></TABLE>

or an inverted can of duster like what was discussed in the other thread.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:23 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Intake Temperature is TOO HOT! Here's my remedy, what's yours? (Stewie)

ya i did the "jdm hood washer crap" and it helped .
Old 07-28-2004, 02:17 PM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If this is just a thing you worry about at the track. Just block the coolant lines to the IM while at the track I will make a HUDGE difference
Just dont try to drive for prlonged periods of time as the heat soak from the motor will heat the mani to greater temps (hondata IM really shine's here ) than the coolant.

IAT sensor placement is also a big thing? Where is it located?
Old 07-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intake Temperature is TOO HOT! Here's my remedy, what's yours? (si2die4)

have you tried to heat wrap/coat exhaust manifold?
Old 07-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why don't you do like the GN guys and use alcohol/water spray. I have this setup (the SMC one), but have yet to go datalogging. I'll post my numbers when I do.

And if you really want to cool things down, use dry ice in the reservoir with 100% methyl or ethyl alcohol. Alcohol freezes around 178C and dry ice is around -78 C. The alcohol your spraying with be around -78 C plus whatever amount of heat gets added from the pump and alcohol line. That will drop your temps.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intake Temperature is TOO HOT! Here's my remedy, what's yours? (bruthaboost)

how much was that hood scoop?
Old 07-28-2004, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Intake Temperature is TOO HOT! Here's my remedy, what's yours? (krustindumm)

I have a autometer 2 channel intake temp gauge. One probe is next to the TB and one is on the hotside right after the turbo. the hot side goes over 300 degrees @ 10.5PSI of boost and the intake is generally 10 degrees hotter than outside air temp. But it has never got to 145 degrees even here in muggy hot TN on a 100 degree day it has never gone over 120
Old 07-28-2004, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Intake Temperature is TOO HOT! Here's my remedy, what's yours? (Mase)

Mase:

I have been thinking this through for quite some time, I don't think that the temp sensor gets heat soaked, as it is made of a plastic material. I talked it over with Ben Strader in May, and he agreed that the sensor itself isn't likely getting heat soaked. I do think that the intake man. gets heat soaked though! The thing that I noticed the most is that the intercooler tubing from the turbo to the intercooler is pretty warm after a run, the intercooler tubin from out of the intercooler to right where the tubing goes into the engine bay is cool to the touch, but once it goes into the engine bay, even the first inch of tubing in the bay is HOT.

Now how much of the heat from my thin walled aluminum IC tubing transfers to the actual air?

Oh, and I do put Ice on my intake manifold before every run,.... in fact from the second I get back from a run, up until the next run I have bags of ice on my intake manifold, IC tubing, etc.

I haven't put the Hondat intake manifold gasket on the car yet, but for reference, when I take temperatures with my temp gun, it reads about 155 degrees F right where the intake man. meets the head, and quickly gets cooler, the farther back you go up to the plenum and throttle body.