Notices

Installing DSM injectors...Have a quick question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing DSM injectors...Have a quick question.

Do you have any pics of your DSM 450's installed??

Do they sit flush with the intake manifold???

I need to know, it seems mine won't fit in enough unless I get the intake manifold machined.

The tip of the injector is too big to fit in the hole in the intake manifold.

HELP ASAP!!!
Old 06-01-2002, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installing DSM injectors...Have a quick question. (HXMan)

This pic should give you an idea of what I am talking about. I am thinking that if the injector is not bottomed out on the grommet, it won't seal correctly.

Old 06-01-2002, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem....I used spacers but someone metioned that it wasn't a good idea to do that....I think most people used a dremel to bore out the seals a bit for better fit...
Old 06-01-2002, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installing DSM injectors...Have a quick question. (MiraiZ)

I had the same problem....I used spacers but someone metioned that it wasn't a good idea to do that....I think most people used a dremel to bore out the seals a bit for better fit...

It isn't the seals causing the problem...it is the metal of the intake manifold. Stock honda injectors fit right in the hole, but the DSM's dont.

How is your system setup now? Did you use differerent injectors or do you just have the gap??

Here is the rail installed with the injectors. I could just use a spacer on top of the grommet to provide a better seal, but I don't think the fuel spray will be right with the injectors like this.....the rail did tighten down perfectly though.

[Modified by HXMan, 6:28 PM 6/1/2002]
Old 06-01-2002, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have 450cc DSM in my b16a, you need to bore out the rubber o-rings. dont over do it or you wont have a tight seal. remove the fuel rail plastic spacer and use a couple washers instead.
Old 06-01-2002, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installing DSM injectors...Have a quick question. (rice4life)

i have 450cc DSM in my b16a, you need to bore out the rubber o-rings. dont over do it or you wont have a tight seal. remove the fuel rail plastic spacer and use a couple washers instead.
nobody understands. I bored the O rings....that isn't the problem. The injectors won't go in any further because of the size of the seconday hole in the intake manifold....I am talking about the smaller diameter past the initial O-ring diameter.
Old 06-01-2002, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do u get those injecotors to work in that car, i thought it uses high resitance injectors and eclipse injectors are ow resistance. just wondering, and u prob have to machine the intake manifold.
Old 06-01-2002, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installing DSM injectors...Have a quick question. (Jockobo)

how do u get those injecotors to work in that car, i thought it uses high resitance injectors and eclipse injectors are ow resistance. just wondering, and u prob have to machine the intake manifold.
resistor pack
Old 06-01-2002, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installing DSM injectors...Have a quick question. (inspyral)

so you are saying the tip of the injectors are hitting the inside of the intake manifold, so the injectors are not sitting all the way inside like it's supposted to. i would bore out the intake manifold so it would fit the injectors or use different ones. i dont know if there's going to be a big spray partern different since the injectors only sit about 2-3mm higher than stock.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so you are saying the tip of the injectors are hitting the inside of the intake manifold, so the injectors are not sitting all the way inside like it's supposted to. i would bore out the intake manifold so it would fit the injectors or use different ones. i dont know if there's going to be a big spray partern different since the injectors only sit about 2-3mm higher than stock.
Exactly! I don't know how big of a difference there will be either? Depends on the spray pattern...if it is a wide or thin V.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:19 PM

Here is a pic from zydne. This is the injector with their seals ($75 sheesh). Anyways what are you trying to get at. I hear guys say just push really hard or dremel the seals out.

Hope the pic helps.

[Modified by gtcali, 4:22 AM 6/2/2002]
Old 06-01-2002, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installing DSM injectors...Have a quick question. (gtcali)

$75???!!! GREAT PIC THOUGH!

Might want to check out http://www.allorings.com I remember seeing bags of orings on one site for like $11. And that is for 300 of them.

This is the size you need, although I am not sure on the height.

21mm O.D. 16mm I.D.
Old 06-01-2002, 08:36 PM

NO NO, leave it just like you have it. As long as they are seated in the rail ok, you'll be fine. The body of the DSM injectors is obviously different, and its not meant to go all the way into the grommet. If you look at the Zdyne grommet, its taller so that it covers up the area that is still exposed on yours. BUT, if you look at the length of the injectors, they are actually seated at the same height. Just install them into the stock rail, bore the grommets, and bolt the rail back on using all original spacers. It will look just like this:

Which is pretty much the way yours looks now.
Old 06-01-2002, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what intake manifold are you using and what generation DSM injectors? i haven't heard anyone else with this problem.
Old 06-01-2002, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think From Chaos is right. The injectors just LOOK like they aren't in all the way. I have some 290cc DSMs in my car now (switching to 450's shortly) and they sit up a little higher than the honda ones, but are probably within a couple millimeters, inside the manifold.
Old 06-01-2002, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installing DSM injectors...Have a quick question. (ion_four)

glad I found this post... saves me some time and hassle when I'm gonna put mine in
Old 06-01-2002, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installing DSM injectors...Have a quick question. (ion_four)

what intake manifold are you using and what generation DSM injectors? i haven't heard anyone else with this problem.
99 B16a2 with 1st gen 450cc Eclipse injectors.

I think From Chaos is right. The injectors just LOOK like they aren't in all the way. I have some 290cc DSMs in my car now (switching to 450's shortly) and they sit up a little higher than the honda ones, but are probably within a couple millimeters, inside the manifold.
They aren't in all the way....if they fit properly you wouldn't have a space between the grommet and the injector. If there was no space between the injectors and the grommets all you would have to do is remove the spacers between the fuel rail and the rail mounts, and it would all fit perfect......I'll get some better pics tommorow to show you why the injectors sit higher if you don't understand. And it has nothing to do with grommets.

[Modified by HXMan, 1:58 AM 6/2/2002]
Old 06-02-2002, 07:06 AM

They aren't in all the way....if they fit properly you wouldn't have a space between the grommet and the injector. If there was no space between the injectors and the grommets all you would have to do is remove the spacers between the fuel rail and the rail mounts, and it would all fit perfect......I'll get some better pics tommorow to show you why the injectors sit higher if you don't understand. And it has nothing to do with grommets.
No, your not following.... Even though it looks as if the injector is not all the way into the grommet, its actually already in as far as it needs to go. The tip of it is in just as far as the stock injectors. If you look at the picture of the Zdyne one, the seal is obviously taller. If it was a modified stock seal, you would have a gap. Thats why they made them taller, so get rid of the gap. The gap is not important, you have them installed fine. Take my word, i am NOT a newbie.
Old 06-02-2002, 07:08 AM

If there was no space between the injectors and the grommets all you would have to do is remove the spacers between the fuel rail and the rail mounts, and it would all fit perfect......
Definatly DO NOT remove the spacers on the fuel rail. Like i said, you -do not- want them pushed into the manifold any farther.
Old 06-02-2002, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did this on my car, and you gotta really PUSH them ******* into the bottom seal. I bored out 3 of the 4 seals and the last one I used a faucet washer because I lost the other seal (!, haha, it seals GOOD!).

The recommended HONDA way is put the injectors into the rail first to avoid damaging the o-rings; however, I put the injectors into the intake manifold FIRST and bolted the fuel rail down onto it.

There is no way that your intake manifold is different from anyone else's. Yours is not special, other people have it in their cars and it works fine (like me).
Old 06-02-2002, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Installing DSM injectors...Have a quick question. (maztur)

Im just running RC 310 injectors. I will need to get bigger ones pretty soon. Would anyone want to trade???

Just wondering hit me a email or PM!

Peace

Aol/aim: Sihondacrxx
Old 06-02-2002, 11:01 AM
New User

Default Re: Installing DSM injectors...Have a quick question. (From Chaos)

No, your not following.... Even though it looks as if the injector is not all the way into the grommet, its actually already in as far as it needs to go. The tip of it is in just as far as the stock injectors. If you look at the picture of the Zdyne one, the seal is obviously taller. If it was a modified stock seal, you would have a gap. Thats why they made them taller, so get rid of the gap. The gap is not important, you have them installed fine. Take my word, i am NOT a newbie.

HX, you just need to push like a mother and get them seated partway and then start bolting down the fuel rail..

Ive had the 450s in my car for a few months and a few of my friends have had them in longer (2 sohc, 1 dohc) and we all installed them the same way
Old 06-02-2002, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installing DSM injectors...Have a quick question. (synthtk)

Its all good, I got them in and they aren't leaking. Problem is I am getting too much fuel with them and the hondata base maps.