Inline 4 procast piston opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inline 4 procast piston opinions

Hey guys, I've looked and looked for reviews on these pistons but I can't seem to find much on them. I have a guy that wants to sell me a set for a decent price and they havent been used. The set up that I'm hoping to use them for is a b18c1 build, or gsr, bored to 81.5, I have a set of h beam rods from manly, and I'm planning on tuning on e85 with boost. The plan is a moderate build for a daily car. It's going into my 92 civic si and I guess my question is, for people that know more than me, would this be an "ok" route for me to go as far as pistons? Or should I just drop the money and go with some wiseco or something similar? Thank you guys for any help I may receive, opinions on the pistons welcome.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Inline 4 procast piston opinions

Those pistons only come in standard compression or high compression... Not very good for a boosted application... And since they are cast you're still gonna be limited when it comes to high horsepower. And they are very expensive for a cast piston. You can get a quality forged piston for like 80 more.dollars.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
Those pistons only come in standard compression or high compression... Not very good for a boosted application... And since they are cast you're still gonna be limited when it comes to high horsepower. And they are very expensive for a cast piston. You can get a quality forged piston for like 80 more.dollars.
This is exactly what I thought as well, I'm just trying to confirm my thoughts with u guys. However Ive talked this kid down from original price of 250 down to 180 for the set with rings and all. If there is and option for a decent forged set though for that price, what would u recommend? (brand wise) because the only other sets that I have experience with is wiseco and cp. and for a set of those it's 600 bones usually. Not that I'm afraid to throw money at this thing, but for a daily I almost feel like its a bit overkill?
Old 06-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can get cp pistons on ebay all day for 400 dollars.

And are these pistons used? If they are don't get them... But you need to find out which set the are so we can figure out compression ratio... But i would not run them in a boosted motor AT ALL! Its very clear from the website that they were not designed as forced induction pistons but as NA pistons. They aren't designed for high cylinder pressures and power levels.

You cannot cheap out when building a motor, and you won't find quality forged pistons for anything lower than 400ish.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's pretty much exactly what I thought to. And the kid didnt know the compression ratio, so that made me that much more leery. Then when I went to meet up with him they had a dome top, so I decided to just do it right and go cp. and not to ask a question on top of another topic, but with e85 and a smaller turbo, what compression ratio do u guys recommend for a gsr motor at 81.5mm, I've heard lower to keep pressure in the block down and ive heard that a little higher than stalk, like 11:1, is ok to for building "quick" boost pressure... I'm thinking about just going with like 9.7:1 just to be safe and kind of stay in the middle, but what are some thoughts on that?