Notices

injectors cutting out at 1700-200 rpm?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default injectors cutting out at 1700-2000 rpm?

I've been Hondata tuning and datalogging for the last few days, and while tuning yesterday, I noticed that my injectors would actually go from 2.7-3.5 v to 0 then back to 2.7v-3.5v, causing a seriously lean condition on the wideband. Upon further investigation on the recorded datalog, I noticed that it was happening at around 1700-2000 rpm.
My particulars are as follows.
96 GSR, P28 Hondata stage 4 ecu.
jdm b16a I/H/E with stock injectors.

My fuel pressure was set to 40psi, and the Hondata ROM reflected that.
I have some DSM 450cc that I was waiting to put in. I was trying to get the car running perfectly before I supercharged it. I don't want to put them in yet though.

Any ideas or experiences?

Modified by hypa at 4:03 AM 10/5/2003
Old 10-04-2003, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what's wrong?
Are you guys scared of a real "technical" question?

Maybe if I had posted "what clutch should I run?" or "what does an LS/VTEC do?" I might get an answer?

WTF happened to the tech wizards that used to be on H-T? Fock, I never hesitate to help someone out.....
Old 10-04-2003, 04:06 PM

Default Re: (hypa)

maybe the "tech wizards" have not logged on yet
calm down a little and maybe you'd get a real answer.......have you tried another ecu?
Old 10-04-2003, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've tried a stock P30 that ran like poo.
As per the wideband, it was pushing near 10:1 A/F at idle, and 12-14:1 at part throttle. I'm also seeing a super rich condition upon VTEC engagement.

I changed the injectors this afternoon to my DSM 450's and ran the car. The stutter was gone, but the car had a sporadic idle. I'm going to spend some more time with the Hondata tomorrow and see what I can figure out.

As for the "tech wizards" this place isn't what it used to be. The tech forum is a joke, and unless you're asking about "What cold air intake is the best for my GSR?", you're not going to get an answer. It's sad too, H-T used to be the best source for information.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hypa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've tried a stock P30 that ran like poo.
As per the wideband, it was pushing near 10:1 A/F at idle, and 12-14:1 at part throttle. I'm also seeing a super rich condition upon VTEC engagement.(</TD></TR></TABLE>

10:1 afr is way to rich for idle. you should be seeing 16-17:1 arf at idle and under light throttle (no boost) you should be about 13-14:1 and about 12:1 under boost.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hypa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I changed the injectors this afternoon to my DSM 450's and ran the car. The stutter was gone, but the car had a sporadic idle. I'm going to spend some more time with the Hondata tomorrow and see what I can figure out.
(</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds as though you need to lean it out a bit, the irratic idle is probably due to being overly rich. Esp if you were runing extreemly rich with the last injectors.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hypa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for the "tech wizards" this place isn't what it used to be. The tech forum is a joke, and unless you're asking about "What cold air intake is the best for my GSR?", you're not going to get an answer. It's sad too, H-T used to be the best source for information.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never visit the tech forums only f/i, hybrid and occasionaly the civic forum. It's still a good place for info (mostly for people just starting out) but most of the seasoned vets are gone. I remember years ago when there were several people who i constantly turned to for info and advice, they have all since left. Hell i only come here about once a week if that. I used to be on here eveyday learning, and trying to help people out........it's still a great site just don't expect an answer instantly.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, the idle should actually be that lean?
Interesting...... as that would answer a lot of issues. If anything, I've been tuning to a 14:1 A/F, since any leaner will cause a lean condition as I stomp the pedal. At any rate, I've printed out every page I've been able to on the Hondata system, and tuning in general. Back to it tomorrow morning.

I love H-T with a passion. It's my bible whenever I have a question, but as you said, the guru's are not around too often anymore. Tech is full of newbie ricers, ITR forum is full of dicks, and FI is all about the big turbos. What about the rest of us?

Thanks for your insight.
I owe you one if you ever post a question.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:40 AM

Yeah honda runs the cars lean at idle to save fuel.
I believe that you should shoot for stoich outside of boost (14.7:1) and once in boost about 12.0:1 depending on your engine (some like a little richer while others like a little leaner). Take for instance the h22, I have heard that it likes a richer afr closer to 13:1 to make power.