Notices

Injector Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector Issues

So about a month ago I noticed my car began to run nearly a point leaner, didn't really think too much of it as I found out a day before I pulled the long block to sell it. I got to thinking about it today since I am getting everything ready to put the car back together and decide I will pull my injectors to send out and be checked out. When I pulled them I noticed a black sludge built up on the tips/nozzles of the injectors. It is very sticky, I couldn't find any traces of it in the intake manifold oddly enough, and know it wasn't in the ports of the head as they were very clean when I pulled it apart. The car is on e85, though I have been using the same gas from the same station for ~4 years now in other cars, and this car for a little over a year. Any ideas as to why this is happening now? I change the filter regularly as well.

sorry for the photo quality, all I have is my phone but it should get the idea across.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Injector Issues

stop running e85... retune for regular pump gas. e85 gums **** up......

i NEVER seen injectors like that unless something else was being poured into the tank other than gasoline.....
Old 10-11-2010, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Would rather not, I am more curious as to if it's just the fuel gumming up, if it is taking something out of the tank or filter, or if it is eating away at the lines. If it is just the fuel then I will just check my injectors regularly it takes a few minutes and the car is not a daily driver. However if its one of the other components to the fuel system I would like to just replace it.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed because I've always been interested in E85.

No one hates internet mechanics more than me, but this is what I found after a google search:

The use of ethanol reduces the vehicles original fuel pump useful life, serious wear can occur due to the removing of the deposits left by the petroleum impurities in the fuel tank.
Could be cleaning out the gas tank..?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

E85 is awesome stuff, supports 1000whp for less the a dollar per litre! Can you go into details on the components and age used in your fuel system?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The more I think about it the more I think it is other parts of the fuel system than the injectors themselves. This car has the factory fuel system from 96, looking at the factory injectors they too have buildup on them that is similar to this. I think a majority of my issues are going to be found in the tank or the lines so I will be replacing both. Everything on the car minus the lines and tank are ~1 yr old. 255 pump, pte 1000 cc injectors, and a wix fuel filter that is changed regularly. The only things that throw me off and make me think the fuel is a big part of it is the fact that a decent amount of Evo guys are having issues with this as well, and the fact that these injectors were not like this ~3 months ago, just kind of sucks that there is not much information out there about this.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow I have been on pump e85 for 3 years now, and have never had an issue like that man

it ould be the station your getting it from as well
Old 10-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sanman000719
wow I have been on pump e85 for 3 years now, and have never had an issue like that man

it ould be the station your getting it from as well
I've been running it for a little over 4 years (between cars), only filling up at two stations within the area, whatever caused this can easily be narrowed down to the last month of running in which I as well as many others I know have only filled up at one location and no one else seems to have the issues I am having.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:38 AM

My friend is seeing the same crap, except he's only seeing it on one injector out of his four.... He said he was going to throw some other injectors in his ride so we could check them out. E85 with 255 > 044 > stock lines, new filter, siemens 880's. When/if I figure anything out, I'll be sure to let you guys know.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check out the dsm boards as well for info, many many dsm's are using E85 (because were all cheap).
Old 10-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sc_at_kfi
My friend is seeing the same crap, except he's only seeing it on one injector out of his four.... He said he was going to throw some other injectors in his ride so we could check them out. E85 with 255 > 044 > stock lines, new filter, siemens 880's. When/if I figure anything out, I'll be sure to let you guys know.
It almost has to be fuel related IMO because of the fact that I have nothing built up in the head of the injector only the tips have buildup like that. Possibly something to do with the atomization process? Because obviously the fuel free-flowing is not an issue. Other people are pointing to the 255 pump, claiming that a lot of them are having issues with E85. I am going to send them out to have them flow tested and cleaned maybe Injector-Rehab will have some input on this when I get in touch with them.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well im on rc's man, and to be honest about to go to id because they seem to be the best injector as far as e85 goes