Notices

Injector clip wiring question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector clip wiring question.

When going from OBD-II to OBD-I injector clips, is it required to solder the connections, or are there other options?

The reason I'm asking is because I was thinking about using male/female bullet connectors so a switch back to stock would be much easier down the road.

I wanted to get some opinions on this before doing anything.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Injector clip wiring question. (Buzzbomb)

Solder would be recommended. Butt connections can become loose over time and break. Also butt connecters can add resistance to a circuit that doesnt need it.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive used both, never noticed a diff, just make sure you heat wrap or electrical tape the butt connectors real well
Old 09-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Injector clip wiring question. (IMALLSLO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IMALLSLO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Solder would be recommended. Butt connections can become loose over time and break. Also butt connecters can add resistance to a circuit that doesnt need it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You bring up a good point. Anyone else?
Old 09-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My question is why is it so hard to just solder them? Its cleaner and no worries of them ever coming loose. The time its taken you to post back and read replies,your iron could have been hot and halfway done with it? Not trying to be a dick....just asking a question.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IMALLSLO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My question is why is it so hard to just solder them? Its cleaner and no worries of them ever coming loose. The time its taken you to post back and read replies,your iron could have been hot and halfway done with it? Not trying to be a dick....just asking a question.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well you kinda are.

It's not hard to solder them. That's not the issue. If butt connectors could be used safely then the ease of returning to stock by quick disconnects vs re-cutting and re-soldering, I'd rather use butt connectors. However,

Based on your first reply, I had pretty much decided I was going to solder them because of the points you brought up, but since I'm out of heat shrink, I can't do anything tonight anyway, so I thought what the hell, see if anyone else had some input. After all, there were only 2 replies to read.

But I do appreciate the help.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was in no way tring to be a dick,just asking a simple question. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:11 PM

i've had no problems at all so far using male/female connectors. i've had it like that for only a month or so now but havent come across anything detrimental yet. my reason for using connectors was also the same as yours, the ease of returning to stock.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IMALLSLO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was in no way tring to be a dick,just asking a simple question. Good luck. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No problem.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was struggling with the whole cut the factory wire harness/solder or butt connector connection dilemma myself, but then I found that http://www.cprracing.com makes a conversion harness for the injectors to go OBD1-OBD2 or visa versa. About $80 bucks for the set of 4, but IMO, that's worth not defiling my harness that is oh so pure and virgin...
Old 09-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Injector clip wiring question. (kchungb17a)

I always solder. The returning to stock point is moot cause who here has stock cars.

No, really. The comment about the $80 conversion, I can use that money for tuning or other more usefull stuff.

To Buzzbomb, pm me your address and I'll send you the damn heatshrink already! Trying to help out a good seller.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Injector clip wiring question. (Laserjock)

i would rather play it safe and solder them. if wires have bad connection then you might run lean because of a bad connections
Old 09-23-2005, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Injector clip wiring question. (kchungb17a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kchungb17a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was struggling with the whole cut the factory wire harness/solder or butt connector connection dilemma myself, but then I found that http://www.cprracing.com makes a conversion harness for the injectors to go OBD1-OBD2 or visa versa. About $80 bucks for the set of 4, but IMO, that's worth not defiling my harness that is oh so pure and virgin...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had no idea they made something like that! I really wish you would have posted this 2 days ago, cuz I already cut and soldered the clips in!!!!!! I'm just like you, I hated the thought of cutting a stock wiring harness but I thought there was no other way, but it's done now so I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

Besides, I'm turboing the car, so I'm sure there's a lot worse that can and probably will happen to it....

Hey Laserjock, thanks for the support. I picked up the heatshrink from Radio Shack on Tuesday and did the soldering that same night. The whole thing turned out really clean and I even put some small black wire loom around the wires so it looks OEM. If I go back to stock I might just buy stock OBDI B16 injectors instead of re-wiring.