Notices

Impartial review of the SMC

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 06:39 PM
zip
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impartial review of the SMC

Here's an individual's experience with one of the first production SMCs to be released. I sent him a set of DSM 450cc injectors, resistors, and of course the SMC. Here's his experience:

I busted my *** all day today to install my 450cc's and the SMC, but it was well worth it!

The SMC installation is easy if you've installed any electronic component in your car before. It's got five wires: 12+ V, ground, rpm signal, MAP in, and MAP out. Nothing too tough. Clearing the old JR MAP Converter out and figuring out my rats nest of wires took more time.

The injectors were more of a pain in the *** though. Soldering in the individual resistors means three solder joints per injector, with the new clips. I also bored out the inner diameter of the injector seals that seat in the manifold to help the new injectors seat cleanly. This step could probably be skipped, but it seamed to me than you'd be stressing the seals if you didn't do this.

I also had to convert my fuel delivery back to using a FPR. I was using a Vortech SFMU which does double-duty as an FMU and FPR. So I had to track down a bunch of fasteners and fittings that I was missing to use a FPR. That meant two trips to Lowe's... that took a bunch of time too.

So everything's installed, I fire up the car for the first time... CEL! ****! The car was acting like it had a bad vacuum leak. I was worried about my injector seal bore-job. I checked all of my solder connections and I couldn't hear any vacuum leak. I pulled the code... 3. MAP malfunction. I check my solder joints again. They look good. I recalled when I was reading the directions that the diagram and table of connections weren't in agreement on the MAP in / out wire colors. I used the diagram... it was wrong. I switched the connections and she fired right up idling a little rough. I leaned it out a bit, hit the "Program" button to burn it to the chip, idles great... amazing. I let Zip know that the diagram was wrong. He's going to change it.

I went for a drive and tune session. With my J&S and the SMC, tuning is easy and effective. The first rpm range is idle-1500 rpms. This is best used for tuning the car at idle. Who cares if you're running rich up to 1500 rpms, right? Then it's 1500-4000 rpms. I get on it to 4000 rpms. No detonation showing up on the gauge, so I lean it out a bit. Still no detonation. I leave well enough alone. Then on to 4000-6000 rpms. I get a few lights on the J&S. Richen it up, hit the "Program" button, burn it to the chip, no more detonation. 6000-8000 rpms, no detonation. I wasn't expecting any because of how rich the ECU runs in this range. I lean it out, burn it to the chip, no detonation. Car pulls hard up top! Why not lean it out a little more, right? The magic "Program" button... WOW! The car pulls so hard to redline right now. I can't wait to get this thing on the dyno and do some real tuning. I'm still keeping it conservative right now so it's got more to go.

For $89 + injectors, the SMU absolutely cannot be beat! My fuel pressure is 48 psi... constantly! [laugh] No more 90 psi! The car drives so much better coming off of a short boost run. I used to bog and jerk if I let off the gas at the wrong time. Now, the car is just smooth as silk in any situation. I imagine this is a lot like what a standalone controlled car drives like. Amazing! A+ I'll have it on the dyno sometime early this coming week. I'll post results.

Taken from:
http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.ph...sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Old 10-05-2002, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Impartial review of the SMC (zip)

Absolutly awesome ZIP! i am definatly going this rout, the only thing i dont understand is wher he said he hit the program button to burn the chip, WHAT? can you explain this to me zip? thanks , im so excited about this product!

Rob
Old 10-05-2002, 08:06 PM
zip
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Impartial review of the SMC (rjardy)

The SMC has a program button which saves all the settings at once into an EEPROM chip. The settings are saved indefinitely until the SMC is again reprogrammed. You can adjust the SMC settings "on-the-fly" while the motor is running!

[Modified by zip, 9:06 PM 10/5/2002]
Old 10-05-2002, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The SMC has a program button which saves all the settings at once into an EEPROM chip. The settings are saved indefinitely until the SMC is again reprogrammed. You can adjust the SMC settings "on-the-fly" while the motor is running!

[Modified by zip, 9:06 PM 10/5/2002]

Okay, here is where i show my ignorance about electronics, what's the EEPROM?
Thanks zip

Rob
Old 10-05-2002, 08:12 PM
zip
Honda-Tech Member

Let's just say the SMC will save your custom settings even when power is removed from the unit.

EEPROM = Electrically Eraseable Programmable Read Only Memory
Old 10-05-2002, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let's just say the SMC will save your custom settings even when power is removed from the unit.

EEPROM = Electrically Eraseable Programmable Read Only Memory
So the eeprom is somthing thats built into the SMC? and stores your settings when power is removed from it? Sorry im so ignorant

Rob
Old 10-05-2002, 08:17 PM
zip
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, you are correct sir!
Old 10-05-2002, 08:18 PM

I might be interested. How much for just the unit alone?? I have 450cc's already..
Old 10-05-2002, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome thanks for all the help ZIP!

Rob
Old 10-05-2002, 08:24 PM
zip
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Impartial review of the SMC (Jason kiDD)

I might be interested. How much for just the unit alone?? I have 450cc's already..
The introductory price of $89.95 for the SMC is valid until 10/9/2002. You can purchase it here:

http://www.diabloautosports.com
Old 10-05-2002, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whats the price going to be after that?

Rob
Old 10-05-2002, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job, man!!

Sonny
Old 10-05-2002, 09:00 PM

whats the price going to be after that?

Rob
I believe $99. Not sure until Zip comes around.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:27 PM
zip
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Impartial review of the SMC (Sonny)

Good job, man!!

Sonny

Thanks Sonny! Hey, you got to see the first prototype, remember?

BTW, I love the way your new son thinks!

Give him that 1/24 scale Civic Si as a gift from me when he grows up...hehehe. I hope Abby doesn't get lonely with the new attention the baby will be receiving.

Rjardy: the SMC will cost $99.99 after 10/9/2002

[Modified by zip, 10:28 PM 10/5/2002]
Old 10-05-2002, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, still a very resonable price for what it does. I cant wait for an H-T member to try it out and post a reveiw.

Rob
Old 10-05-2002, 09:35 PM

Sounds good...Im definitely going to give it a try.
Old 10-05-2002, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Impartial review of the SMC (LSDelSol)

Zip, is that offer on the DSM 450 injectors along with the SMC still available? I think is was posted for $295 or something?
Old 10-06-2002, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Impartial review of the SMC (PressurizedSi)

I think I'm going to be picking one up soon. Just got to locate some injectors.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Impartial review of the SMC (ijjz)

I'm glad to hear a positive review already. Time allowing... I should be able to give a review in a few weeks.
Old 10-06-2002, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Impartial review of the SMC (PressurizedSi)

Zip, is that offer on the DSM 450 injectors along with the SMC still available? I think is was posted for $295 or something?
He said $250 for DSM 450 Injectors, OBDI injector clips, resistors, and SMC. When I asked him about it he said they don't have anything but the SMC.

You ever going to get the rest of the stuff Zip?
Old 10-06-2002, 01:42 AM
zip
Honda-Tech Member

Zip, is that offer on the DSM 450 injectors along with the SMC still available? I think is was posted for $295 or something? He said $250 for DSM 450 Injectors, OBDI injector clips, resistors, and SMC. When I asked him about it he said they don't have anything but the SMC.

You ever going to get the rest of the stuff Zip?

I was just giving an example of what the typical cost is with the SMC + DSM injectors. I only had a couple of sets of DSM 450cc injectors to sell since I used them during the R&D stages of the SMC.

Old 10-06-2002, 01:47 AM

I was just giving an example of what the typical cost is with the SMC + DSM injectors. I only had a couple of sets of DSM 450cc injectors to sell since I used them during the R&D stages of the SMC.
Oh okay...it sounded like you were selling it all. Thanks for clarification.

[Modified by LSDelSol, 7:48 PM 10/6/2002]
Old 10-06-2002, 02:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like im going the smc route over hondata now. dsm+smc+resistors=under 200. compared to what i was gonna do RCs+s200+tuning=1000.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Impartial review of the SMC (blufke)

The review lists removing the FMU and using an FPR only. I was under the impression that the SMC is similar to a VAFC hack, so using the stock ECM, you would still need an FMU to raise fuel pressure. Sorry for the simple question, been a while since I did anything but a standalone on a turbo honda.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job, man!!

Sonny

Thanks Sonny! Hey, you got to see the first prototype, remember?

BTW, I love the way your new son thinks!

Give him that 1/24 scale Civic Si as a gift from me when he grows up...hehehe. I hope Abby doesn't get lonely with the new attention the baby will be receiving.

Rjardy: the SMC will cost $99.99 after 10/9/2002
Hahaha...nice pic! Maybe I'll get him one for his turbo stroller. Abbey is doing pretty good. We're making sure she gets plenty of attention and she is not jealous at all. I hope it stays that way.

Jared: You don't need an FMU with an SMC similar to way you don't need one with a standalone since they can accurately control large injectors. 450cc injectors will deliver enough fuel that an FMU is not necessary for most people.

Sonny

Quick Reply: Impartial review of the SMC