Notices

im running lean randomly in vacuum...why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default im running lean randomly in vacuum...why?

setup- b18b w/ t3/t4 57 trim, tial wg, rc 440's, 7 psi and uberdata.

most of the time my vacuum a/f ratios are perfect(12.9->low 14's), but sometimes it will go lean, like into the high 15's and low 16's at between 19 and 4 or 5 vacuum. im not really sure why. it does not run lean in boost, my idle is fine and my low vacuum readings like 4-0 are back into the high 12's.
what are some possible causes of this? its becomming a little annoying when im just trying to drive around town, and ive been messing with it for the better portion of the past few days
Old 04-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: im running lean randomly in vacuum...why? (blackeg)

Yeah my car did that when it was running on uberdata.

I changed to hondata and it fixed it. I don't know why. I wasn't ever able to get the car to run 100% right with uberdata.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:33 PM

The only time this happened to me was when i didn't check off "Closed loop disable" the car will want to suddenly read the wideband and attempt to correct it...bad idea if you are running a wideband.

Also was there a huge weather change to colder weather because that screwed up to AFR's up to .8 leaner in colder weather.

Otherwise it can only really be the tune that is slightly off.....post up your bin
Old 04-19-2005, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: im running lean randomly in vacuum...why? (adseguy)

my internet hosting is being dumb, ill try to get the bin up soon.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only time this happened to me was when i didn't check off "Closed loop disable" the car will want to suddenly read the wideband and attempt to correct it...bad idea if you are running a wideband.

Also was there a huge weather change to colder weather because that screwed up to AFR's up to .8 leaner in colder weather.

Otherwise it can only really be the tune that is slightly off.....post up your bin</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive been making so many changes its becomming annoying, i wish i had the ostrich. i think it tends to do this for a little while after i boost. i was thinking that my o2 was partially to blame, so later tonight i might disable it and see how that works. i would the fact that i still have a stock fuel pump cause this?? i was always under the impression that with the 440's and uberdata i should be food on the stock one. i have a walbro i just gottafind time to install it, maybe this weekend
Old 04-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It should run a lot better open loop.

Uberdata really runs like poo in closed loop. At least it did on my car.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: im running lean randomly in vacuum...why? (dustin)

dont worry with it if it drives fine, if it causes the car to buck or studder then its a problem. but if the car still drives fine dont worry with it.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: im running lean randomly in vacuum...why? (JDogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont worry with it if it drives fine, if it causes the car to buck or studder then its a problem. but if the car still drives fine dont worry with it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it was causing the car to buck. it was really really annoying and also i dont want to be lean at all ever, because my motor has 200k miles haha.

dustin- i disabled closed loop, wow what a difference. a/f was holding much better. now im solid in vacuum(although i cant get it from being too rich at idle, but whatever) and 11.4-11.9:1 in boost. i guess my o2 sensor was really throwing a wrench in this.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lean in vac is NOT bad... hell most cars i setup to cruise at 15.5-16:1. lean under LOAD is where it can get bad. dont be an afr tuner
Old 04-20-2005, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lean in vac is NOT bad... hell most cars i setup to cruise at 15.5-16:1. lean under LOAD is where it can get bad. dont be an afr tuner </TD></TR></TABLE>

hey man im down with lean, especially since gas is expensive and im cheap , but it was to the point where it was making the car buck and not drive properly, so i had to do something about it.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds almost like you have some tps enrichment issues. i "think" there is an option for that in uberdata...
Old 04-22-2005, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i have it tuned almost perfect right now, though it is still on the rich side in vacuum(12.9 at 0 vacuum and like 13.9-14 in higher vacuum just cruising). im just having trouble figuring out why my car bucks and hesitates at anything leaner than like 14.2-14.3:1......
Old 04-22-2005, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you sure ur wideband is reading properly?
Old 04-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you sure ur wideband is reading properly? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i believe. the sensor is relatively new. im gonna recalibrate i think