Notices

I'm checking out.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm checking out.

I know not many of you know me; I certainly don't post alot in here, but I lurk. Anyway, I think it's time for my days of turbocharged Hondas to be over. I've done the motor swap thing, and I've done the turbo thing, and I'm happy with what I have, but I think greener pastures await.

I'm tired of driving around with a tool kit. I'm tired of listening fanatically for every little sound that my car makes. I'm tired of oil leaks, exhaust smell, and inconsistant boost levels. I'm tired of no traction 'till 60 MPH. I'm tired of wondering that when I stomp on it, will it be its last stomp.

I'll miss the gobs and gobs of wonderful torque. I'll miss the woosh of the turbo that sends my head back. I'll miss the chitter of the BOV as I row through the gears. I'll miss the look of terror on my passengers faces. I'll miss the look of awe and jealousy of opponents I've shut down. And, most importantly, I'll miss the pride I take in owning one of only two known turbocharged Hondas in Vermont, and knowing that I designed and built EVERYTHING with the very hands that type this post.

So, I'm thinking of a nice '87 Saab 900 turbo.
Just kidding.

A friend has a '92 Celica GTFour that I'm considering trading My '93 Civic Si straight up for. Now, before you tell me that I'm getting the short end of the stick, I'm keeping my wheels, stereo, and turbo system (under hood as well as cockpit goodies) to sell off individually.

Still sounds unfair? Well, the GTFour has a new turbo, exhaust manifold, clutch, starter, complete brand new steering system (everything), new electrical crap, and has all the options available that year- moon roof, power windows, locks, seats, leather, cruise, AC, CD, dual airbags, ABS, yadda yadda, all bone stock. The idea of factory turbo is enticing, as well as AWD.

Hondas are fun, and in the past eight years, I've owned three. I cut my racing and mechanics teeth on 'em. There will always be a spot in my heart for them, but it's time, folks... time to move on.

*gets in car and does one last two gear burnout, off into the sunset*
Old 04-27-2003, 05:13 PM

yea but its a celica....its not an eg hatch....:-( good luck though
Old 04-27-2003, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly i think its a very good trade in your behalf. i owned a turbo mr2 with a 3SGTE and they are stout and reliable motors. Plus being that you live in Vermont you can drive it all year round.
Old 04-27-2003, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosted3g)

Who cares if it's not an EG hatch? That's the point! As for being AWD in VT... I've driven through five Vermont winters in lowered Hondas with way more power than what they came with, and never had a problem. I'm moving to Bend, Oregon in four months, and out there in the mountains, they get upwards of 350" of snow a season. THAT'S where I'm going to need AWD.
Old 04-27-2003, 05:51 PM

Default Re: I'm checking out. (Loco Honkey)

i'm getting outta the scene as well

there are just too many fast and furious kids around
i'm looking to the more adult car ----> 1995 M3
Old 04-27-2003, 05:58 PM

Default Re: (Loco Honkey)

well good luck with your new car. Hope its what you really want. And may I be the first NW native to welcome you to the NW. ( when you do move )
Old 04-27-2003, 06:18 PM
New User

Default Re: (hulkhb)

The last celica alltrac that I saw run was clicking off some pretty sad times, but it was in bad shape.
Do what makes you happy. It's not worth it if you don't enjoy it. I don't think that I could ever live without exhaust leaks, the click of MSD dig 6, and the hum of a Walboro 255lph pump, but that's just me.
For the dusty trail ahead
Old 04-27-2003, 06:33 PM

Default Re: (laughinxxx)

Celica all track/gt4 are great cars. you won't be disapointed with it.

Btw, if you keep being paranoid with all the creaks carrying a toolcase and all that crap, that's not right! You shouldn't be afraid to take your car out and beat on it unless it's got stock bottom end or something, though i don't know what cars you have just thinking..

Good luck anyway,

Brad
Old 04-27-2003, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lazerus)

Thanks guys. I know the GTFour has it's failings. All cars do. But I've done my research, and it's appealing to me, and that's what matters. :D

I do have a stock bottom end. Hell, 130K on the motor that's never been opened up.

It doesn't have anything to do with being associated with the F&F crowd... It just has to do with wanting out while I'm ahead of the game, ya know?
Old 04-27-2003, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Loco Honkey)

I've racked up more miles and long distance trips FI than NA. All my worries come about after someone hits me and drives off leaving me footing the repair bill, or my oilpan hits the ground and the oil drives off leaving me footing the repair bill. Literally, all my car worries except running the B18A's oil pan into the ditch last fall are because of other people impacting with my CRX. It sounds like you have unresolved teething and tuning problems.

I'm not dissing the earlier turbo GT-S, though... I'll **** all over the CT26 that comes bolted to it, be a good man and make me proud by putting something bigger in place of it. Regardless of your reason for ditching Hondas, you've picked a nice replacement.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:37 AM

a project car is a project car. every car has failings. good luck though man. i know you still gonna hang on the board though ;-) hehehe. yea i plan to leave the game soon as well. probably get like a 98 A4 or something.